Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Completion Percentage, you worried?

Dumbsheet

1 Preseason game and 7 regular games and were already making predictions...wow

Give me a break. Predictions were being made the second we drafted JC. Most of those predictors had JC going to Canton.

The question is, "you worried?" And the answer is, yes.

If JC were completing 70% of his passes after 7 games and one preseason game, the question would be "you excited?" And the answer would be yes.

You know full well you'd be as giddy as a school girl if JC were lighting it up.

JC's lack of production to this point in his career is a cause for some concern. That is if you actually want the Redskins to win.

Hail,

H

Completion percentage. If you look at the barometer of what seperates a palyoff quaterback from an average to below quarterback, it appears anything below 58% is not good.

If we look at Tony Romo sits to pee (and I wont bring up the 95 rating), his pct over his career is over 65%. Then look at him the other night against the Colts...he was 10 of 11 (91%). All the other dallas backups were also over 60%. Last year Romo sits to pee went to playoffs and probowl.

Now we look at Campvbell. He was what, 6-14? That's 42%. Last year he was 53%, and he went 2-5.

Now if we look at the top qbs from last year, and their percentages:

Tom Brady, 62%

Peyton Manning, 65%

Drew Brees, 64%

Rothliesberger, 60%

Pennington, 65%

And now the bottom feeders:

Kradkowski, 54%

Derek Anderson, 55%

Andrew Walter, 53%

Cambell, 53%

Vick, 52%

The only exception between bad teams having qbs with bad (below 58%) ratings and good teams having qbs with good (above 58%) ratings is Rex Grossman...and his is explained with the team's dominant defense.

So, given that Romo sits to pee is already settled in as pretty much a solid, above 60% (even 65%) kind of guy and Campell has finished above 55% just once in 7 (8 if you count Saturday) starts, does this concern anyone? Is the dude just not accurate? Is 53-55% gonna be his norm? And if so, would you feel confident about that as the future of your quaterback?

And I'll hang up and listen.

I will never understand why Redskins fans never give their players a chance to establish themselves before ripping them a part after every game.

I mean, look at this stupid azz comparison.... why are you comparing Campbell and his 7 starts to some of the top QBs in the league.

I read this board almost everyday because the information and articles are great, but the commentary is ridiculous.

Has anyone on this board ever played sports.... Ever had a bad game? bad practice? Made a bad play?

You would never think so if you read this board.

Gibbs always says Redskins Fans are some of the smartest football fans around.... Well he sure got that wrong....

And you can say the same for virtually any qb from Florida over the past decade and a half, so that don't mean much. His pro stats is where the story is, yo.

Not really hanging up and listening, are you Cowpoke?

Thanks for the geniune concern about our QB. Really. It's touching. :)

In answer to your supposedly innocent little question, yeah, I think accuracy is Campbell's biggest issue right now. I'm not sure if it's a matter of him getting used to the timing and patterns, or if he simply can't get the ball where it needs to go. This seems to be the weakest part of his game, though, so if he can improve his accuracy I think he'll be pretty good.

Either way, jury is still out. But thanks for caring.

BTW, worried about Romo sits to pee throwing 8 INTs and fumbling the ball 7 times in the last 5 games of the year last year? I mean, completion percentage is nice, but so is not giving the ball to the other team. Unless you were impressed with your 2-3 record down the stretch. :)

Not predicting anything. Just asking if youre all worried. No problemo, I'll put you down as "not worried" and I'll check back later to see if taht's still status quo.

But for the record, I'd be worried.

Tis all.

Whats with all the Campbell hate..u really cant be that "dumb". I understand if you hate the Redskins...that fine. But dont sit here and throw out "dumb" arguments.

I guess all fans of those qb's with less than stellar comp % should be worried even though they have yet to play in ONE HALF OF ONE SEASON????

I guess Improvement or DEVELOPMENT doesnt exist in your fantasy world.

Im glad people decided not to give up on Peyton Manning after his rocky first 16 games.

So, given that Romo sits to pee is already settled in as pretty much a solid, above 60% (even 65%) kind of guy and Campell has finished above 55% just once in 7 (8 if you count Saturday) starts, does this concern anyone? Is the dude just not accurate? Is 53-55% gonna be his norm? And if so, would you feel confident about that as the future of your quaterback?

And I'll hang up and listen.

Listen here troll - let's compare apples and apples here. Romo sits to pee is heading into his 5th year. 4 in the same system. This is the first time since high school Campbell has had the same system in consecutive years. Also, I believe Romo sits to pee's 3rd year, he was carrying a clipboard behind Bledsoe, and took 2 kneel downs.

And it's interesting you selected completion percentage, instead of, oh say, turnover rate? B/c Romo sits to pee throws picks at the same rate as Joey Harrington, and had as many INTs and Fumbles as your boy Grossman (over a 16 game season).

So sit down and shut up.

Always proving your name....you do realize...it was a preseaon game...missing 2 key players.....and at least 2 VERY catchable balls dropped. Or did all those facts escape you.

Actually I had no idea, but I did put my trousers on backwards and my shoes are on my hands and I'm typign with my feet so maybe you got a point.

I wasn't just talking the preseason game the other night (btw, almost every team has starters that are out and fresh meat dropping passes this time of year). I was just pointing out a statistical trend that doesn't bode well for Cambpell. Doesn't mean he won't turn it around and become real good and stuff, but the odds of that kind of turnaround aren't very good. Yes Peyton and Elway did it, but they don't come around the corner but every so often.

So the question remains. Do you feel lucky?

The related observation that I have had about Campbell is that he always seems to look better playing than his numbers would indicate. I've often watched Campbell play and thought he was doing quite well only the check the numbers afterward and find that he only completed about 50% of his passes. This has suprised me several times. I'm not sure exactly why this is.

The related observation that I have had about Campbell is that he always seems to look better playing than his numbers would indicate. I've often watched Campbell play and thought he was doing quite well only the check the numbers afterward and find that he only completed about 50% of his passes. This has suprised me several times. I'm not sure exactly why this is.

It's probably the B&G glasses. Take them off next time. :D

true but so did most hall of famers during their first 10-16 starts. New season my friend, let him show what he can do (with a healthy o line of course)

83' marino would have looked like david carr with that line. no protection at all.

First Year Starters Last Year:

Tony Romo sits to pee - 65%

Philip Rivers - 62%

Jay Cutler - 59%

Tarvaris Jackson - 58%

Seneca Wallace - 58%

Matt Leinart - 57%

Derek Anderson - 56%

Bruce Gradkowski - 54%

Andrew Walter - 53%

Jason Campbell - 53%

Vince Young - 51%

Okay, so out of the 11 first year starting quarterbacks (I may have missed one or two), Campbell finished 10th out of 11. The only quarterback he finished higher than was the NFL rookie of the year, who gained a large percentage of his yards on the ground.

Last year, I was very unimpressed with Campbell. He had the benefit of a great running game and great pass protection, yet he put up very lackluster numbers. He didn't come close to the level of play of rookie quarterbacks like Matt Leinart and Jay Cutler. Now, I understand that Campbell devoted his entire offseason to football. We've heard that he is a much-improved quarterback, but have yet to see it. Hopefully we will, but I don't understand how fans can look at Campbell's body of work and expect greatness this year.

Do you?

TK you consitently crack me up with ur replies man. Nothing worse than a troll trying to make conclusions with useless stats and info...

Again for the record:

Completion percentage for the following NFL QBs in their first season:

58.4 dan marino

56.7 peyton manning

56.5 joe montana

47.5 john elway

55.6 Johnny Unitas

ENOUGH SAID.

TK you consitently crack me up with ur replies man. Nothing worse than a troll trying to make conclusions with useless stats and info...

Again for the record:

Completion percentage for the following NFL QBs in their first season:

58.4 dan marino

56.7 peyton manning

56.5 joe montana

47.5 john elway

55.6 Johnny Unitas

ENOUGH SAID.

And Campbell's 53% clip is below all but one of them. What's your point?

Philip Rivers - 62%

Jay Cutler - 59%

Tarvaris Jackson - 58%

Seneca Wallace - 58%

Matt Leinart - 57%

Derek Anderson - 56%

Bruce Gradkowski - 54%

Andrew Walter - 53%

Jason Campbell - 53%

Vince Young - 51%

Okay, so out of the 11 first year starting quarterbacks (I may have missed one or two), Campbell finished 10th out of 11. The only quarterback he finished higher than was the NFL rookie of the year, who gained a large percentage of his yards on the ground.

Last year, I was very unimpressed with Campbell. He had the benefit of a great running game and great pass protection, yet he put up very lackluster numbers. He didn't come close to the level of play of rookie quarterbacks like Matt Leinart and Jay Cutler. Now, I understand that Campbell devoted his entire offseason to football. We've heard that he is a much-improved quarterback, but have yet to see it. Hopefully we will, but I don't understand how fans can look at Campbell's body of work and expect greatness this year.

Thanks, my man. That was my point. Mayhap I could've used a different list of qbs to compare with in my opening post, but hey the same point is illustrated no matter what list is compiled. 53% is what it is. And when you factor in the stellar running game, solid OL protection, and relatively conservative/short pass play calling he had last year, the number becomes even more twingent.

As I suggested earlier, if the rest of you take off the B&G bifocols for a moment like hibachi and hailskinz here, you may see what I and the rest of the outsider populace sees.

Hibachi, I am not sure what you are trying to say. First off, I don't remember anyone predicting "greatness" from Campbell this year. I think what we are all expecting is seeing him manage the game better this year and move the chains.

Second off, you seem to be more of a hater than a realist. Now are peoplem worried, I am sure they are. But I am sure any fans would be worried about a QB who has started only 7 games and trying to lead his team to the playoffs, regardless what he has or has not done on the field.

Peyton Manning threw 25INTs his first year. Campbell would have thrown about 12 had he played the full year. To me, that is a great way of looking at what we will get this year.

Also, how come people aren't talking about how he completed two 3rd and Longs on saturday. To me those are the things we should be looking at, as thats where this offense faltered last year. The completion percentage will go up as the experience grows.

Tony Romo sits to pee - 65% 4 years in the league, hardly a rookie. He did well.

Philip Rivers - 62% LT and Shawne Merriman... nuff said

Jay Cutler - 59%- 9tds 5 ints, good numbers for a rook.

Tarvaris Jackson - 58% 2TDs 4 Ints

Seneca Wallace - 58% 5 years in the league, 7 ints...

Matt Leinart - 57% Fitzgerald, Boldin. had weapons

Derek Anderson - 56% 5 Tds 8 Ints

Bruce Gradkowski - 54% 9 Ints

Andrew Walter - 53% Raiders, 13 INTS

Jason Campbell - 53% 10 Tds 6ints and No santana moss/portis.

Vince Young - 51% rookie of the year

Jay cutler by most accounts had a great rookie start, JC wasnt too far off his mark on a worse team...

I don't see where it shows that we have to be worried about a young qb that showed more potential than 90% of this list.

Thanks, my man. That was my point. Mayhap I could've used a different list of qbs to compare with in my opening post, but hey the same point is illustrated no matter what list is compiled. 53% is what it is. And when you factor in the stellar running game, solid OL protection, and relatively conservative/short pass play calling he had last year, the number becomes even more twingent.

As I suggested earlier, if the rest of you take off the B&G bifocols for a moment like hibachi and hailskinz here, you may see what I and the rest of the outsider populace sees.

JC had cooley and ARE as his only receivers. You fail to include that in your observation. 10 TDS in 7 games.

THe point is obvious. Young QBs struggle when they start off. Then they get better. We've only seen JC go through 1/2 a season... immediately b/c his percentage was low on a team with ARE as the #1 WR?

53 percent means ****.

2007 Completion percentage

manning 0%

Romo sits to pee 0%

campbell 0%

brees 0 %

brady 0%

bulger 0%

do i need to keep going or do you get the idea?

Jay cutler by most accounts had a great rookie start, JC wasnt too far off his mark on a worse team...

I don't see where it shows that we have to be worried about a young qb that showed more potential than 90% of this list.

Moss missed the Tampa Bay game. For Campbell's other six starts, he had Moss. You can't just make up facts.

Philip Rivers - 62%

Jay Cutler - 59%

Tarvaris Jackson - 58%

Seneca Wallace - 58%

Matt Leinart - 57%

Derek Anderson - 56%

Bruce Gradkowski - 54%

Andrew Walter - 53%

Jason Campbell - 53%

Vince Young - 51%

A lot of these guys have holes in their game that need improving. Jackson averaged 5.9 yards per pass. Wallace and Leinart threw more INTs than TDs. We assume if they are young guys these things will improve, don't we? Well, Campbell's weakness right now is accuracy. That does not mean he is more likely to fail than Romo sits to pee, who became a turnover machine down the stretch. It means he's got something to work on. Nothing more, nothing less.

and relatively conservative/short pass play calling he had last year, the number becomes even more twingent.

Guess you didn't watch alot of Campbell last year.......

Unlike Brunell who was dinking and dunking all year long, he was throwing deep last year alot.

His first play as a starter at TB was a bomb to Lloyd (which Lloyd dropped :mad: - had he caught it, it probably would have been a 50yd TD pass- if memory serves). The only TD vs. NO was a Campbell deep pass. Matter of fact, that is why I thought his % last year was low, b/c he was throwing deeper passes.

Anyone forgetting that this will be Campbell's 2nd season in the NFL and Homo has been in the NFL for 5 years. Homo has had more practice with these guys and more time to learn the playbooks. Last year was also the 1st year of Saunders offense. Bring this crap back in 3 years and then let's see what his completion percentage is. If it is still below the magic number AND we have not won a Superbowl then I will consider your argument.

Archived