Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Video guys, what software.

Art

Likely a Tailgate type thread I will move in a few, but, for those guys who make their own videos, what software program/s do you use to edit the pieces you want to slow things down and rip out what you want and add music and the like?

Simply using Windows Movie Maker. I've made one video so far, and I won't recommend the program at all. It is not very powerful and is definitely for people who are just getting familiar with these newfangled "computers." I'd be curious to know if there is some more powerful editting software out there that I could download off the internet.

I use the free GBPVR to record stuffs such as Redskins games when they are on in Ohio.

I then transfer it from my HTPC where I edit with Adobe Premier Elements.

Windows Movie Maker 2 isn't too bad and is free and easy to use also. The reason I don't use it for editing TV stuff is because my HTPC TV card has MPEG 2 hardware encoding and Movie Maker 2 doesn't edit MPEG 2.

If you're trying to do fancy highlight compilation type clip the above recommendations will do.

If you're just trying to do some basic editing within a single video file by stripping out commercials and announcers speaking, use virtualdub (for .avi) or virtualdubmpeg (for .mpg) as it is non-destructive, fast, easy, and free.

I picked up this adapter called "dazzle" at best buy for 60$, its made by a division of Avid(they make pro video systems). plugs right into my hd dvr, then into my laptop with USB. comes with pinnacle studio software which does fine for basic capture, editing, and archiving for myself. overall im really happy with the results-very good quality "almost" hd imo

I record all the games in high def with an eyeTV hybrid. Its mac only but its just a rebranded pc thing with mac drivers. If any is interested pm me for more info.

I have never made any highlight vijas for extreme but if I did I would use final cut since that is what I have\know\like. Adobe's stuff is excellent also.

Sony Vegas 7 is what I use. Tons of features and FX.

Haven't messed with Adobe Premier but I imagine its on the same level as Vegas.

VirtualDub is great if you're just looking to cut commercials out of a video or render 1 small clip. I haven't got too deep into the features of VDub but its very fast and easy to use if you're just wanting to cut out parts of a video.

Pinnacle Studio is crap if you ask me. I started out using that and it froze/crashed ALL THE TIME! Its a decent software to start with, but be prepared to be frustrated by how unstable the software is. Its also VERY VERY large in size. i.e. Studio is over 1GB in size while the full version of Vegas is just 140MB. Seems like they've got a crap load of wasted programming in their software compared to Vegas and Premier.

Switched to Sony Vegas after Studio crashed and it corrupted a saved video that I had spent hours and hours putting together.

Vegas is extremely stable and has very few bugs from what I've seen.

Movie Maker is fine but everyone seems to use that so you wind up seeing the same effects over and over again in every highlight video.

It really depends on how deep you want to get into video editting. If you're wanting to make top notch highlight videos, Vegas or Adobe Premier are the way to go but there's a lot to learn with those 2.

Personally, I strongly recommend Vegas... but that's just my bias because that's what I use.

For editing from video (not VR) formatted DVD discs, I use:

DVDShrink: For cutting as many scenes as you want in 1 session. Go here for a quick tutorial on the cutting.

After the spliced .vob files are collected in a folder, I just change the .vob extensions to either .mpeg or .mpg. You'll get a popup that says "unusable" but ignore it... it works as long as you have something like DScaler (or any mpeg2 codec) installed.

Then I just drop the mpegs into Windows Movie Maker2. It doesn't show it downloading into WMM2, but for something like a 20MB file, just wait about 3 or 4 minutes, use your Task Manager to close the program, and when you start the program back up... they'll be there. Then you can edit your audio.

All free! :D

Archived