Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Rarin' to Go, Gibbs Is Not the Tiring Type

bubba9497

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/05/AR2007080501470.html

click link for full article

Rarin' to Go, Gibbs Is Not the Tiring Type

By UnWise Mike

Monday, August 6, 2007; E01

Since his detractors are already carting him off into the sunset, let's start with the most obvious question:

"Bill Cowher?!"

"It's understandable," Joe Gibbs said, earnestly. "He's a great coach. He's had a great history."

"But you're Joe Gibbs, the only active coach in the Hall of Fame. And they're talking about Bill Cowher replacing you next season if things don't go well. That doesn't bother you?"

"I gotta tell you the truth: If I was an owner, I'd sure be considerin' him," he said, adding that high-pitched cackle of his. "If it was me, I'd sure be thinking that way. He's a pretty impressive guy. He's done some good stuff."

The coach of the Washington Redskins cleaned his wire-rimmed spectacles with his shirt tail and sat back in a chair in front of his desk, where he receives visitors to his office in Ashburn. Burgundy-and-gold mementos compete for time and space on the wall. A stair-step fitness machine, which he uses daily, sits in one corner. He also says he gets on an elliptical machine regularly and a treadmill occasionally.

Gibbs is a diabetic and almost 2 1/2 years ago underwent a precautionary procedure in which a stent was placed in a clogged coronary artery. He's not the young coach of 40 who parlayed an 0-5 start in 1981 into three Super Bowl titles and immortality over the next 12 years. Oh, his thick forearms still look as if they could do damage to a split end crossing the middle on a look-in pattern, but Joe Gibbs has jowls now, like Joe Bugel, Don Breaux and the rest of the Space Cowboys he brought back to coach with him in 2004. He's not getting any younger and, at the moment, his team has much to prove after last season.

"I guess, if I had to be truthful about it, I'm 66," Gibbs said. "So that probably has something to do with [questions about retirement]. If you're up in years, most coaches probably get that."

Especially ones who go 5-11 and are knee-jerkingly described as out-of-touch with the NFL of the new millennium. The speculation whether he will coach the fifth and final year of his contract next season hovers over him like the muggy, hot air in training camp.

Well?

"I've tried to answer that as honestly as I can," Gibbs said. "Matter of fact, I asked the press guys, 'What should my answer be?' " Indeed, Gibbs threw his hands up in the air after the cameras went home one night last season, wandered back into the media room at the team's training facility and sought help from the people used to asking the questions.

"Basically, they said to me, 'You need to say, 'I have every intention of fulfilling my contract.' I said, 'Okay, that's good. I'll go along with whatever you guys said. That's the answer.' It doesn't stop the questions, but that's the answer."

Translation: Unless the Redskins absolutely fall off the map and coaching a fifth season becomes untenable, Joe Gibbs is not going anywhere. Only one other factor would take him away from the job of resuscitating the franchise: his 2-year-old grandson, Taylor, who's battling leukemia.

"That's the one thing that would kind of take over my life if something happened there, where he had a setback or something," he said. "When that happened, it scared me."

Don't you think he's being a little bit disingenuous, forgetful or unaware when he says guys could've turned on each other last year but they didn't? Between the ESPN article 2nd gunman, B. Lloyd, and Portis's bash everyone radio spot; I feel like a lot of guys turned on each other.

I just think it is kinda hard to take him at his word unless he admits that. He already tells the media nothing in any of his press conferences.

P.S. I know this will be received as blasphemy but I'm just throwing it out there. Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.

Don't you think he's being a little bit disingenuous, forgetful or unaware when he says guys could've turned on each other last year but they didn't? Between the ESPN article 2nd gunman, B. Lloyd, and Portis's bash everyone radio spot; I feel like a lot of guys turned on each other.

I just think it is kinda hard to take him at his word unless he admits that. He already tells the media nothing in any of his press conferences.

P.S. I know this will be received as blasphemy but I'm just throwing it out there. Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.

I actually agree

:dallasuck

I dont think he is being disingenuous.I think in general they did hold together pretty well.There may have been some infighting but not a large amount.It could have been a lot worse.Look at the Giants for example,lots of bickering and running to the media at times.I believe in Joe's mind the matters mentioned were minimal with the possible exception of the unknown assassin issue.Just my opinion!

It does feel good to have a really classy person as a coach. I hope for his sake he's able to turn things around. I know it kills him to lose more than it kills us, which is saying a lot.

He certainly has earned about 4 truck loads of extra patience from me for his character and the fact that we'd be the Eagles (zero Lombardis) without him.

(He used about half a truckload of that last year. :) So I figure he has about 3.5 left now)

Solid, even-handed piece by Wise. Good to note the tone in the WP the past week or two ... perhaps the dogs of war have been, if not recalled, at least brought to heel for the time being.

Of course, the Skins haven't lost a game yet either.

It does feel good to have a really classy person as a coach. I hope for his sake he's able to turn things around. I know it kills him to lose more than it kills us, which is saying a lot.

He certainly has earned about 4 truck loads of extra patience from me for his character and the fact that we'd be the Eagles (zero Lombardis) without him.

(He used about half a truckload of that last year. :) So I figure he has about 3.5 left now)

Co-sign... :applause:

I wish the mediots would stop asking the same questions over and over again. What do they have short term memory loss or something. Why don't they think of something creative that the fans would like to know that we don't know already.

I wish the press and the fans would just leave Gibbs alone. Stop asking the same questions. I think Gibbs has been treated badly by everyone since he's come back. Out of touch, please. I can't wait for him to prove everyone wrong AGAIN.
Just like he did two years ago. It REALLY bothers me how quickly they throw him under the bus. The guy is amazing. It's not just his old tenure. It's him now. He's got character, he knows people, he motivates, he puts in time, he understands the game, he's willing to change philosophy to improve, and he cares. I don't care who you are, those characteristics will turn out a winner every time if you're patient. I honestly can't believe how impatient people are, especially after seeing a glimpse in 2005 of what's to come. This guy is a winner, and he knows what he's doing. Just wait.

You know, no matter how bad last season was, all I need to do is look at a picture of Coach Gibbs in 'Skins attire and I have hope. He's like a renewable energy source of optimism.

its like thinking about christmas..you just get all warm and fuzzy inside and you know for at least one day it is all going to be OK.

Archived