Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which training camp do you prefer????

Jeremiah_Johnson

Which kind of training camp do you boys prefer? The hard, hit everything that moves, and work the players like dogs (no Vick pun intended) but risk them getting hurt in the process, or, and I use this term loosely cause I"m sure it would still put half of us on this message board in our graves, but an "Easy" training camp. Like what some of you have been referring to "Club Wade"?

I go back and forth on it. When Parcells was here, I thought "Damn Bill, ease up a little, you're going to kill these guys and get half of them injured before the season even starts", but now that we have an easier camp, I can't help but wishing Wade would be a hair tougher on them.

If you made me pick between Parcells way and Wade's way I'd have to choose Wades, but only because I've seen Parcells literally send guys back out on that field that had no business whatsoever going back out there and getting injured worse.

I'm sure there is a happy medium between the two styles, but I'd like to hear other peoples thoughts.

I prefer hard hitting. Its the Parcells, Gibbs, Coughlin, and Bellichek, Cowher way. Gibbs likes training camp because "you hit everything that moves", and parcells uses it to toughen guys up and get conditioned for a tough year. I don't believe TC should be easy or light, how can you judge the rookies and newcomers, how can you compete without playing/practicing flat out? Football is about being tough and hitting, if you can't hack it in practice or training camp you don't deserve to be playing in the season. I would prefer a tightly run and highly organized camp over anything, but I'm sorry i don't see any benefit to club wade, under parcells injuries were not the problem. I don't feel a lot of injuries will arise if you had a rough training camp.

Gibbs likes training camp because "you hit everything that moves.

I saw that little blurb on NFL network yesterday and started laughing. Gibbs was about to hit anyone who disagreed with him last year that the preseason doesn't mean anything. He had everyone around the team, including many of us here, believing it. Then the season started, and they couldn't bring up their intensity level fast enough because they dismissed the preseason.

I prefer hard hitting. Its the Parcells, Gibbs, Coughlin, and Bellichek, Cowher way. Gibbs likes training camp because "you hit everything that moves", and parcells uses it to toughen guys up and get conditioned for a tough year. I don't believe TC should be easy or light, how can you judge the rookies and newcomers, how can you compete without playing/practicing flat out? Football is about being tough and hitting, if you can't hack it in practice or training camp you don't deserve to be playing in the season. I would prefer a tightly run and highly organized camp over anything, but I'm sorry i don't see any benefit to club wade, under parcells injuries were not the problem. I don't feel a lot of injuries will arise if you had a rough training camp.

We had an "easy" training camp last year - and ended up with a slew of injuries anyway...

I prefer the Gibbs/Parcells/Cowher method to the Turner/Spurrier/Wade Method

i'm going to say club wade simply because i witnessed what happens at the end of the season with club parcells

And Club Wade has produced 0 playoff victories ever

Football is a physical hard hitting game. You need to get used to that intensity early, and then ease up

If you never get used to it, you'll be physically behind the 8 ball. Norv's teams were often like that, as have Wade Phillips'

i'm going to say club wade simply because i witnessed what happens at the end of the season with club parcells

Ok - I have been thinking about this one. Parcells gets blamed for the Cowboys December collapses, right?

I think December football has more to do with mental toughness then anything else. I don't think the style of Training Camp has anything to do with it. The Cowboys were so abnormally healthy last year that I really believe the failed mentally more then physically.

I like how Gibbs is running camp this year. He is running focused intensity practices, but monitoring the health of the team. He shortened one practice the other day to allow players to catch their breath. There is a lot of hitting going on and the players bring it, but I am not hearing any stories about players being made to get back on the field just to prove a point. That is the one thing I disagreed with BP. I don't think you have to have camp Marty, but you should have focus and intensity to prepare for the season, but allow players to recover. Gibbs also rests veterans that are recovering from off-season surgery. He gives a practice off every once in a while to a guy recovering from injury. When you have character guys with a work ethic this is not a problem.

If you are the 1980's 49ners with loads of talented, character smart guys you don't have to have a BP camp, but how many teams have that?

Ok - I have been thinking about this one. Parcells gets blamed for the Cowboys December collapses, right?

I think December football has more to do with mental toughness then anything else. I don't think the style of Training Camp has anything to do with it. The Cowboys were so abnormally healthy last year that I really believe the failed mentally more then physically.

you may be right, i don't know..

there was a pattern of faltering down the stretch with parcells.. right now i just want to try club wade.. by the end of the season i may be longing for the good days of parcell's football again..

only time will tell

you may be right, i don't know..

there was a pattern of faltering down the stretch with parcells.. right now i just want to try club wade.. by the end of the season i may be longing for the good days of parcell's football again..

only time will tell

Also - the more successful coaches - Gibbs, Parcells, Cowher, Belicheck, Schottenheimer (at least in the regular season) etc. - all are known for running fairly hard, intense TCs (Anyone know what kind of camp Walsh ran? What about Andy Reid?). While the more easy going coaches - Turner, Spurrier, Campo (not sure on this one - but it was my understanding) were less then successful.

I would love to see some kind of correlation between the intesity of TC and Regular/Postseason results.

Back in the 40's through the 70's, training camp was a time for the players to come in from their regular jobs (bus driver, bar owner, etc) and get back into playing shape. I can remember TC starting in June and ending when the 1st or 2nd preseason game was played. Players needed the time to get rid of the Sonny beer guts. In the 80's and 90's, the TC's were shortened to about half of that as players only needed to get into hitting shape and get their timing down.

With this being their only profession and players in better shape in the offseason than they are in the regular season, I'd have to go with moderate hard hitting. Players hang around the complex year round, they are practicing together, looking at film and getting in a rythmn. Now, players just need to get some game practice and that's why the TC starts a week before the 1st preaseason game is played.

I would go for a combination of the 2. Too much hitting and people get hurt. Too little and they get hurt in the Regular season. Today's TC is pretty much to get into game shape and find a lucky scrub or 2 to fill out the roster.

As you mentioned, JJ- that "somewhere in between" point is probably best. I personally prefer light contact on camp days. Save the hard-hitting for preseason games where guys who need to show something can and the vets can get in some knocks in the first quarter only. That way everyone stays healthy while not being pampered altogether.

Archived