superozman

How Long Before Brunell Starts?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. How Long Before Brunell Starts?

• Week 1-4
    • Week 5-8
    • Week 9-12
    • Week 13-17

Alright, a heated discussion at my work is Portis vs. Westbrook. Now i know half of you reading this are saying "were in a Redskins fan site, of course everyone is going to vote Portis". But I want to see if a skins fan would rather have Westbrook. I live right near philly, and work near philly, so they all think Westbrook is better. We found 3 lone Giant fans and 1 Raider fan (we all feel sorry for him) and 3 of the 4 voted Portis. So i figured if there were a few skins fans who would rather have Westbrook, Westbrook might be a better back, and I am burgandy and gold blind. I know Portis has more touches and less yards, but Westbrook has about 2 and a half times more catches, and those avg. a higher amount of yards (probly because we've had recievers who can catch unlike stinkston and fred ex) where they had TO for a year before he started crying like the little b----.

So after my rambling, who would you rather have if you could only choose between Portis and Westbrook?

PORTIS

Rushing | Receiving |

+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+

| Year TM | G | Att Yards Y/A TD | Rec Yards Y/R TD |

| 2004 was | 15 | 343 1315 3.8 5 | 40 235 5.9 2 |

| 2005 was | 16 | 352 1516 4.3 11 | 30 216 7.2 0 |

| 2006 was | 8 | 127 523 4.1 7 | 17 170 10.0 0 |

| TOTAL | 39 | 822 3354 4.0 23 | 87 621 7.1 2 |

Total Touches: 909

Total Yards: 3975

Total Touchdowns:25

WESTBROOK

Rushing | Receiving |

| 2004 phi | 13 | 177 812 4.6 3 | 73 703 9.6 6 |

| 2005 phi | 12 | 156 617 4.0 3 | 61 616 10.1 4 |

| 2006 phi | 15 | 240 1217 5.1 7 | 77 699 9.1 4 |

| TOTAL | 40 | 573 2646 4.6 13 | 211 2018 9.5 14|

Total Touches: 784

Total Yards: 4664

Total Touchdowns:27

Rushers are measured by three things, and in this order: Yards, yards per carry, and touchdowns. Portis owned Westbrook in touchdowns last year while playing half the games, half the carries, and two injuries.

Plus, I think (there are no real NUMBERS for this), that Portis makes more game-changing plays, whether they be first downs, scores, pointless tackles in the preseason (:doh:), or key blocks.

I'll take Portis over Westbrook like I'd take a steak over a meatloaf.

Westbrook is an extremely talented player who is entertaining to watch. He's a bit odd though. He can't do the dirty work that is required of most offenses in the league. He's basically Brian Mitchell if Brian Mitchell was given the workload of a featureback.

As a conventional RB, Portis is superior. Any team would love to have Westbrook however, just not as their featureback.

When both are healthy I'd take Portis, simply because you can create a legitimate rushing attack around him. Westbrook appears to be making progress in that area, and if he continues to prove capable of carrying the ball 250+ times a year there is no reason he couldn't be the centerpiece of a top rushing attack as well.

Until then, I'll go with Portis.

That said, the Eagle fan is right. For the Eagles, a team that looks to pass first and second, Westbrook is a better fit. If that's the kind of offense you'd like your team to go with, pick Westbrook.

The way I see it is if we were to trade the 2 strait up, Portis would go to Philly and perform very well there. Maybe not as good as Westbrook and maybe not as good as he does here but he would do well. On the flip side, I don't think Westbrook could handle the load he would be giving here. I don't see him being able to pound the ball play after play. Which is why I think Portis is the better RB.

Westbrook is a better receiver out of the backfield. Portis is better at everything else. Portis in a landslide. Like stated above, Westbrook's status is boosted due to the offense he is playing in. Under most circumstances he would be no more than an excellent third down back, a la Dave Megget.

The way I see it is if we were to trade the 2 strait up, Portis would go to Philly and perform very well there. Maybe not as good as Westbrook and maybe not as good as he does here but he would do well. On the flip side, I don't think Westbrook could handle the load he would be giving here. I don't see him being able to pound the ball play after play. Which is why I think Portis is the better RB.

Very well put.

impossible to compare because they play completely different styles. westbrook is always gonna have more receiving yards because we dont run a west coast style offense. portis is always gonna have more carries because we run much more. westbrook has topped 1000 yards once in his entire career, portis has done it every year accept for one, that was this year, which was an injury plagued season (his first).

Rushers are measured by three things, and in this order: Yards, yards per carry, and touchdowns. Portis owned Westbrook in touchdowns last year while playing half the games, half the carries, and two injuries.

Plus, I think (there are no real NUMBERS for this), that Portis makes more game-changing plays, whether they be first downs, scores, pointless tackles in the preseason (:doh:), or key blocks.

I'll take Portis over Westbrook like I'd take a steak over a meatloaf.

Thread Over

When both are healthy I'd take Portis, simply because you can create a legitimate rushing attack around him. Westbrook appears to be making progress in that area, and if he continues to prove capable of carrying the ball 250+ times a year there is no reason he couldn't be the centerpiece of a top rushing attack as well.

Until then, I'll go with Portis.

That said, the Eagle fan is right. For the Eagles, a team that looks to pass first and second, Westbrook is a better fit. If that's the kind of offense you'd like your team to go with, pick Westbrook.

Spot on.

I'm still looking for Clinton Portis the Bronco to show up in B&G though. :(

guys, westbrook has had 1 season over 1000 yards and hes never played a full NFL season. portis' worst full season was better than westbrooks best season. this is silly. portis has 4 season over 1300 yards, 3 of them were over 1500. westbrooks best season was 1217 and other than that his next best was 812 in 2004. end of thread.

Alright, a heated discussion at my work is Portis vs. Westbrook. Now i know half of you reading this are saying "were in a Redskins fan site, of course everyone is going to vote Portis". But I want to see if a skins fan would rather have Westbrook. I live right near philly, and work near philly, so they all think Westbrook is better. We found 3 lone Giant fans and 1 Raider fan (we all feel sorry for him) and 3 of the 4 voted Portis. So i figured if there were a few skins fans who would rather have Westbrook, Westbrook might be a better back, and I am burgandy and gold blind. I know Portis has more touches and less yards, but Westbrook has about 2 and a half times more catches, and those avg. a higher amount of yards (probly because we've had recievers who can catch unlike stinkston and fred ex) where they had TO for a year before he started crying like the little b----.

So after my rambling, who would you rather have if you could only choose between Portis and Westbrook?

PORTIS

Rushing | Receiving |

| 2004 was | 15 | 343 1315 3.8 5 | 40 235 5.9 2 |

| 2005 was | 16 | 352 1516 4.3 11 | 30 216 7.2 0 |

| 2006 was | 8 | 127 523 4.1 7 | 17 170 10.0 0 |

| TOTAL | 39 | 822 3354 4.0 23 | 87 621 7.1 2 |

WESTBROOK

Rushing | Receiving |

| 2004 phi | 13 | 177 812 4.6 3 | 73 703 9.6 6 |

| 2005 phi | 12 | 156 617 4.0 3 | 61 616 10.1 4 |

| 2006 phi | 15 | 240 1217 5.1 7 | 77 699 9.1 4 |

| TOTAL | 40 | 573 2646 4.6 13 | 211 2018 9.5 14|

Westbrook plays under an entirely different offensive scheme, true he's very productive and a top running back however, I would still choose Portis for his break-away speed and agility. If he were given the opportunity to catch the ball more often coming out of the backfield, I have no doubts that his stats would rise. !! :)

Portis is the better rusher, Westbrook is the better reciver. I would rather have portis blocking a blizing linebacker than Westbrook. Honestly Portis is better at finding a hole and can get better at catching and route running if the scheme called for it.

Portis is my choice ...I agree Westbrook is a better reciever but really Portis hasn't been schemed on a deep route so who's to say that attribute is true?

Portis is way better than Westbrook any way you slice it. Westbrook is #2 change of pace back, and Portis is a true #1.

Two different types of players.

PORTIS

WESTBROOK

125 fewer touches, 700 more yards and 2 more touchdowns. Yep, clearly Portis is better "anyway you slice it."

*shakes head in disbelief*

Westbrook is NOT a #1 bruiser feature back, though once Big Red finally got his head out of his @$$ and allowed Marty to call the plays last year, all of the sudden, BWest is rushing for 1200 yards. I think you will be unpleasantly surprised this year as Westbrook rushes for 1000 and catches for another 700 (provided he's healthy). We have yet to see what Westbrook can really do as an everydown running back, since he only was given that role halfway through last year.

Believe me, it has been maddening watching AR call pass after pass when we have such a dynamic talent in Westbrook back there. If Hunt proves to be a real deal (any PSU fans here?), Bwest won't need to be the bruising type.

Westbrook's durability, however, is always a concern. Then again, so is Portis'.

And whoever said Portis has more game changing plays - I think that's highly debatable. Did you happen to watch the Tampa Game (yes the 62fg game) or the Giants playoff game last year? He turned a checkdown dumpoff 5 yd pass into a 60 yard TD scamper against TB with under a minute to play to take the lead... and he broke off a nice 50 yard run in the Giants playoff game for a TD. Big deal, right? Watch the replays and count how many guys he makes miss! Westbrook is to defender's ankles as Tonya Harding is to opponent's knees...

Westbrook is the best open-field runner in the NFL as far as making defenders miss.

Portis is by far a better and stronger rusher and blocker and has the size to put a line backer on his ass and get a 3rd and 1 up the middle.

Westbrook is small, shifty and used more as a multi-purpose back having superior hands

IMO their roles are far to different to compare their skillsets

Well said... two different roles...

Archived