Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

D Ware has final year of contract voided

DWinzit

Due to reaching incentives, Ware has voided the final year of his contract.

The Cowboys have some signing to do!

Contracts, contracts, contracts

All off-season the talk has been about a contract extension for Tony Romo sits to pee. Most of the time that's followed by the six-year, $48 million contract Matt Schaub received from Houston. If I'm Romo sits to pee, I want more than that because Schaub is 0-2 as a starter and Romo sits to pee has played in a Pro Bowl and took a team to the playoffs.

Even if there is no deal done, Romo sits to pee is going nowhere in 2008 if the Cowboys don't want him to because they'll put the franchise tag on him. That's a measure of last resort and teams generally don't want to do that, especially with quarterbacks.

But if I'm the Cowboys, I might start thinking about DeMarcus Ware's future (let alone Terence Newman, who is up after the '08 season. Ware is under contract through 2009 (he's voided the final year of the deal already). Indianapolis just gave its Pro Bowl pass rusher, Dwight Freeney, a $30 million signing bonus as part of a six-year, $72 million deal.

Should the Cowboys re-do Ware's deal now and save money in the long-run? Might be something to look at.

http://cowboys.beloblog.com/archives/2007/07/contracts_contracts_contracts.html

Ware, Newman, Romo sits to pee and Ellis, that's some big contracts lurking!:2cents:

Ware and Newman are definitely big contract lurking. They will wait until after this season to work on Ware's contract. Romo sits to pee, I think is a wait and see. Ellis will walk, I do not think he will stay in Little D.

Ware and Newman are definitely big contract lurking. They will wait until after this season to work on Ware's contract. Romo sits to pee, I think is a wait and see. Ellis will walk, I do not think he will stay in Little D.

yep

plus they'll have to sign two top 5 picks next year. ouch!

COWBOYS NOTES

Ellis' camp status remains unclear

A Cowboys source confirmed the two sides have discussed Ellis' situation, but nothing has been resolved. And there might not be a resolution, either.

Ellis was disappointed the Cowboys drafted linebacker Anthony Spencer in the first round, and said in June he would not play unless his injury is 100 percent healed. He also said he would like to be traded, or released if his contract was not redone.

http://www.star-telegram.com/332/story/171371.html

Ware, Newman, Romo sits to pee and Ellis, that's some big contracts lurking!:2cents:

Ware, Newman, and most likely Romo sits to pee will be in Dallas for a long time.

Dallas will play the Ellis situation as it comes. But this is probably his last year in Dallas depending on how well he rebounds from his latest injury.

Theyve drafted accordingly and will be ready if and when he is let go.

Ware, Newman, and most likely Romo sits to pee will be in Dallas for a long time.

Dallas will play the Ellis situation as it comes. But this is probably his last year in Dallas depending on how well he rebounds from his latest injury.

You guys really think they will break the bank for Newman? A cornerback that will be 30 in 2008 could lead to some problematic issues. If he wants Clements or Samuels type money that's a lot to pay for a guy soon entering his "senior" years at the CB position.

If I were the Cowboys, I would try to sign Ware ASAP. However, if I were Ware, I wouldn't do my deal until the final year. If he keeps performing and at this current pace the cap keeps rising, dude's gonna get paid. Same for Sean Taylor for us.

Okay, yup, sure...nothing to worry about... :doh:

Do I detect some doubt regarding Romo sits to pee's future is Dallas HHM?
You guys really think they will break the bank for Newman? A cornerback that will be 30 in 2008 could lead to some problematic issues. If he wants Clements or Samuels type money that's a lot to pay for a guy soon entering his "senior" years at the CB position.
Great point SkinsDukes, I didn't realize Newman was that old. If a CB such as Samuels was available next season, why wouldn't they just go with him?

I was going to say the same thing. Ware is a given but Newman is a trickier issue. He's probably got about 3 good years left.

I think if they wait even with Ware to 2008/9 season hid contract will ghave some monster nubers next to it but will not look out of place like freeneys and clements do right now as the NFL adgust to the rocketing CBA cap limits.

If I were the Cowboys, I would try to sign Ware ASAP. However, if I were Ware, I wouldn't do my deal until the final year. If he keeps performing and at this current pace the cap keeps rising, dude's gonna get paid. Same for Sean Taylor for us.

That would be quite a risk for Ware to hope he doesn't get hurt, or drop off in skill. The better move is to force a contract now with a high signing bonus, then whine about it 2-3 years from now when he is "underpaid" again.

That's a double edge sword. Wait in hopes of the HUGE deal... but what happens if you get injured.

Many players might want to go ahead and sign the big deal because you never know when an injury can hit. A major injury could affect the rest of your career. In sports, its usually a good idea for players to get their big money while they can... if you wait, it could come back to haunt you.

(edit: didn't see that Lax had already pointed this out before I posted it)

Ellis either won't be re-signed or it will be for such a small amount it will not make a big dent into the cap number.

As much as he whines every year I don't see any way he signs another contract with Dallas. He's a good player but at his age isn't worth a big contract. He'll probably sign somewhere else for mid-level 2 year deal.

Ware is signed through 2010. I do not believe he has voided his final year as yet but he will. That means that 09 is the final year he will be under contract with us. I don't think the Cowboys will start talking contracts with him until off season of 09. He is going to get paid but I don't believe we are going to be in serious cap straights any time soon. Currently, we are 13 MIllion + under the cap, with adjustments already accounted for in our Rookie Pool. It's a good problem to have.

Players like Newman dont come around too often. And yes, he may be approaching 30, but he hasnt been playing in the NFL for as long as the normal 30 year old so he doesnt have nearly the wear and tear of someone his age.

Shut down or close to shut down CBs are hard to come by. I can assure you Dallas will resign him and he will get paid handsomely.

But if, for some reason, Dallas doesnt make him a very rich man, many other teams would love to.

Archived