Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Giant ownership orders Coughlin to change

DWinzit

CALL COUGHLIN CORNERED

OLD-SCHOOL COACH MUST LEARN NEW TRICKS IN HURRY

By PAUL SCHWARTZ

full link - http://www.nypost.com/seven/07152007/sports/giants/call_coughlin_cornered_giants_paul_schwartz.htm?page=2

July 15, 2007 -- Change.

That was one of the prerequisites laid out to Tom Coughlin.

Not his core beliefs about football. Not his hairstyle. Not his dedication to discipline or his abhorrence of tardiness or his old-school values. He had to change himself.

Giants ownership is not demanding a kinder and gentler Tom Coughlin, but it stipulates a more reasonable Tom Coughlin:laugh: . The man in charge does not have to be revered, but the acrimony leveled at Coughlin down the stretch of last season did no one any good. The perception of Coughlin was as a beleaguered captain at the helm of a ship gone adrift, complete with the requisite mutinous crew.

Coughlin enters his fourth season in New York with the gangplank waiting to be unfurled for that tortured walk into coaching banishment. Can he fend off what many believe is an inevitable conclusion?

He’s a respected and winning coach (93-83 in his NFL career, 25-23 with the Giants) instructed to adjust to the times and become more likeable, a better communicator with his players and less ornery with the media. And, oh yes, win more games.

“I think there’s no question I can improve,” Coughlin admitted to The Post recently about his personal relations. “I’m going to try to be more patient, I’m going to try to be someone who understands again the jobs and responsibilities of those around me.”

Of course, his staff is greatly altered, as the Giants enter the season with a strange and unusual trifecta of three new coordinators working for a holdover head coach. Coughlin stripped John Hufnagel of the offensive duties last season with two games remaining and canned defensive coordinator Tim Lewis as soon as the season ended. Special teams coach Mike Sweatman retired. Now, more than ever, it’s on Coughlin. They stayed with him, but told him to change . . . and along the way win more games. Easy it won’t be for Coughlin.

In another thread Giant fans posted optimistic responses to the upcoming season. I made the comment that lots of little things keep popping up that are concerns on the upcoming season.

This is another example of bad vibes coming out of Giant Land. This by itself is not that big of a deal, but the examples continue to pile on.

Keep sleeping on the Giants I hope people doubt them all season because we have made the playoffs the last two years decimated with injuries.

If we can go into the playoffs without any street free agents on our team we will make a solid run

Keep sleeping on the Giants I hope people doubt them all season because we have made the playoffs the last two years decimated with injuries.

If we can go into the playoffs without any street free agents on our team we will make a solid run

Injuries are part of the game i dont get why people use that as an excuse:doh:

Giants were 8-8 last year and got in to the playoffs in a down year in the NFC.

This team minus Barber and Petitgout plus the aging of Strahan and holes in the secondary will be lucky to stay out of the cellar in the East in 2007.

Coughlin is indeed a lame duck.

The Giants were 11-5 in 2005 and instead of building on that, collapsed to .500 and crawled to the finish line in 2006.

Giants were 8-8 last year and got in to the playoffs in a down year in the NFC.

This team minus Barber and Petitgout plus the aging of Strahan and holes in the secondary will be lucky to stay out of the cellar in the East in 2007.

Coughlin is indeed a lame duck.

The Giants were 11-5 in 2005 and instead of building on that, collapsed to .500 and crawled to the finish line in 2006.

The skins were 10-6 in 2005 but instead of building on that they collapsed to 5-11 and did not even sniff the playoffs.

Joe Gibbs is a lame duck coach who has had less success over the last 3 years then coughlin has had.

I think the cellar is pretty much wrapped up by the skins :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Does Anyone Think the Giants Will Keep Tom Coughlin Past 2007?

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/07/17/does-anyone-think-the-giants-will-keep-tom-coughlin-past-2007/

Michael David SmithPosted Jul 17th 2007 11:44AM by Michael David Smith

When Giants owner John Mara announced in January that Tom Coughlin would remain as the coach for 2007, he had this to say:

"I think he knows we need to do better, that our expectations are much higher," co-owner John Mara said in a conference call Wednesday. "I think we have enough talent on this roster to do better."

Mara didn't explain what would constitute doing better, but it's apparent that the Giants need to win at least one playoff game for Coughlin to keep his job. And seeing as very, very few people are predicting the Giants to win a playoff game this season, it's almost as if Coughlin has been set up for failure.

And that's why the speculation is already beginning about who might be available to coach the Giants next year. Bill Cowher? That's what Jerome Bettis thinks. Marty Schottenheimer? Bill Parcells? Pete Carroll? All names worth considering.

But does anyone think the Giants' coach in 2008 will be Tom Coughlin? Doesn't seem like it.

Archived