Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JD Gibbs seems to imply in this article that Joe Gibbs may not coach after this year.

Joncevensen

Doing everything he can to win in his second tenure? You mean like actually calling plays?

Sure just like he did his first two years back and then courting Al Saunders to install and run the offense last year. Gibbs has outside interests that you will just have to deal with. No one, not even Joe Gibbs I or II, is going to spend every possible waking moment of their life working. To imply Joe is short changing the team by dealing with his other interests in the middle of July then you my friend are out of your mind.

You must've worked for Snyder or the Skins org at some point and been fired. 90% of your posts (and threads you started before earning NNT status) are spewing vitriol at Snyder, Gibbs or the FO. A quick glance at your posts makes me wonder whether you're a fan of the team, or just on a personal mission to slam Gibbs/Snyder at every opportunity.

Whichever it is, hope you feel better now. ;)

You know, I DO kinda feel better! I never worked for The Daniel but my brother did and left after 6 months of working 12-hour days. He didn't deal with Snyder much at all, to be honest. But others who did said Snyder didn't really care if your kid was in the hospital, he expected you at work.

Personally I think Snyder is not doing the right thing for this franchise, and is only trying to make money. Is it wrong to criticize someone who (I feel) is not helping your team?

I'm just saddened at seeing so many Snyder/Gibbs apologists. Sure I want the team to succeed, but last year still tastes bitter to me and things should be done differently to get the Skins back to the playoffs.

I'm just saddened at seeing so many Snyder/Gibbs apologists.

Sure I want the team to succeed, but last year still tastes bitter to me and things should be done differently to get the Skins back to the playoffs.

Things the Skins are doing differently:

1. They didn't spend a lot load of money on free agents this year

2. Gibbs let the players do their offseason work away from Redskins Park.

3. They are sticking by our young QB

4. They aren't changing our offense again.

5. No ridiculous trades were made

come on dude, gotta stay positive. no need for negativity and baby poo poo stuff

]']If he does' date=' he better do it with dignity. No quitting like Parcells. He goes out on his own terms, whether he does it like Vermiel, and directly attribute to his health, or if he just takes up a managerial position.[/quote']

If Gibbs has a non-playoff season; it's time to retire gracefully.

Anyone with a clue knows that when the last mini-camp ends in mid-June, the coaches are on vacation until training camp opens in late July.

So they are free do WHATEVER THEY DAMN WANT.

To suggest Gibbs should be watching film right now is the comment of a very stupid and ill informed individual.

Gibbs is more than a coach, he is the GM. I am not saying anything negative about JG, but he is not just a coach.

Pat Kirwan from NFL.com has a different opinion about what sucessful GM's are doing right now:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/10256937

Normally NFL coaching is a full time job. Normally, a GM is a full time position. Usually, running a stock car team is pretty much full time. Gibbs is an older gentleman, has a wife, kids, grandchildren and diabetes. Gibbs took a full dozen years out of football. If he was a brain surgeon, I wouldn't let him touch me for a couple more years. And I need a lobotomy NOW.

I'm still counting on him getting us to teh paloffs tho.

• 4 weeks later...

Just in case you ever wonder if coach takes a little time out to deal w/ his other passion:

ESPN.COM

by David Newton

If Joe Gibbs can handle Stewart's oft-controversial personality, surely he can deal with Busch.

And he is used to dealing with internal conflict. When Hamlin and Stewart got into a feud after crashing while running first and second last month at Daytona, he flew to Chicago the following Saturday to straighten them out. Stewart and Busch have had more than their share of run-ins.

At the Budweiser Shootout in February, Stewart shoved Busch out of the way with eight laps remaining for the victory.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=2&id=2974077

There is no disputing that Joe spends at least SOME of his time in the managing of his race car team. That cannot be disputed. The real question is how much if any, does this hurt the chances of the Washington Redskins.

These days, he is no longer doing the play calling. Saunders on offense, and Williams on defense. To even begin to argue that Gibbs has as much of a hands-on approach as he did back then is nothing short of ignorant.

:logo:

Let's be positive, folks. The above-quoted part of an earlier post is logical.

There is a reason why we have Saunders, Williams, Bugel, et al aboard, LED by Gibbs, the greatest of all time.

Thanks. 11-5 NFC champs baby.

Normally NFL coaching is a full time job. Normally, a GM is a full time position. Usually, running a stock car team is pretty much full time. Gibbs is an older gentleman, has a wife, kids, grandchildren and diabetes. Gibbs took a full dozen years out of football. If he was a brain surgeon, I wouldn't let him touch me for a couple more years. And I need a lobotomy NOW.

I'm still counting on him getting us to teh paloffs tho.

good post. i agree 100%. i really think it is about time everyone puts their feelings of Gibbs (1st era) to the side and really take a look at what is best for this team. IMO, Gibbs needs to go if we have anything less than a playoff year.

Then, if Snyder was smart, hire a young cordinator as Head Coach. Someone who can relate more to the players but also get in their face. AND fire Vinny C.

good post. i agree 100%. i really think it is about time everyone puts their feelings of Gibbs (1st era) to the side and really take a look at what is best for this team. IMO, Gibbs needs to go if we have anything less than a playoff year.

Then, if Snyder was smart, hire a young cordinator as Head Coach. Someone who can relate more to the players but also get in their face. AND fire Vinny C.

I can't agree more on the Vinny firing.

I juggle a real job, am raising a family, help run a website, write a blog and columns for another web site, am involved in a booster program for my kids' marching band, and am writing a novel. Amazingly, when need arises, I'm still able to carve out some time to spend with family members or friend who could use a helping hand with something.

Just sayin'.

I juggle a real job, am raising a family, help run a website, write a blog and columns for another web site, am involved in a booster program for my kids' marching band, and am writing a novel. Amazingly, when need arises, I'm still able to carve out some time to spend with family members or friend who could use a helping hand with something.

Just sayin'.

Yes, but do you have 6 million + fans depending on the success of your ventures for their sanity? I doubt you have more than 2 or 3 million. Tops.

JG 1 put his heart and soul into this coaching this team, at the expense of his family and health. He had a very competent GM handling the management aspect of the business. Now, it is taking 2 guys to do the coaching that Gibbs was so good at, and Gibbs himself is handling General Management duties that he never did before. In football anyway. And he has other ventures that take some of his time and attention.

I idolize JG, but I do not think he is trying to reprise his genious as a coach. This is an entirely different deal. JG is more of a GM. He will likely leave us after his 5 year contract. I trust him more to select a good GM replacement than I do Danny. If Gibbs picked one this year, he would be able to spend next year working with him and leave some legacy for the team. Then that GM could select among Saunders, Williams or other candidates for a coaching successor and leave Danny to handling the cap manipulations. Please, no more coaching merry-go-rounds.

Well they won this week and I think that's the first victory they've had this year. I think 2 out of their 3 drivers are positioned to be in the "chase for the cup" so at least they are consistently good.

I'm glad you mentioned the distraction angle. NASCAR ends right in the middle of November, and that's when it seems they turn it up.

Nah Tony Stewart has won 3 of the last 4 races i believe i heard on sportscenter last night or late sunday night.

Well if you looked at his press conference with Kyle Busch today it said that he'd have to coach another 10 years in order to afford his contract, so he might be here for a while. Of course I know he was joking, but some people might take him at his word.

That being said I think he'll leave when he wants to leave. He's earned that right.

OM alluded in a thread that something had to have been distracting Gibbs during last season, and when that distraction apparently ended you could see Gibbs really take control of the team

Who knows what that was, but I would hope as with players Gibbs gets rid of this distraction quickly. I don't follow NASCAR at all so I have no clue what the state of Joe Gibbs racing is

I'd like to see Gibbs move from coaching to the front office, but I'm afraid his passion isn't football, it's NASCAR. :( But I also know he's a man of character and he'll give the Redskins his all. That's what he's about.

Interesting post. First of all, Tony Stewart is Gary Clark driving a race car.He hs won3 of the last 4 reces, and finished 2nd in the other race. Denny Hamlin is second in points right now. There is so much more money for JG to earn in Nascar than the Skins can offer. I know the Danny has big pockets, But cmon, do you have a clue how much JG makes just off endorsements and souvineer and collectable sales from Nascar nation. Also, that is exactly why he has brought on the best off, and def. coaches in the league, so he can leave the team in good hands. the Skins are JG's passion, and he has taken it personally to get this team back in the right direction. He is most certainly devoting time to both entities. I was in Tony Stewarts pit during the Charlotte all star race on Saturday night while the skins were having the OTWs. Who do youy think showed up between the second and third segments of the race? You got it,, Joe Gibbs. He signed my white Redskins hat, and was so classy and gracious, He thanked me for coming to support the team. Also there was #47 Cooley. Got his signature also, and man did he have one hot babe in tow!! Point is, Gibbs is doing all he can to get the Skins upright, while his main efforts for the future are surly in Nascar. Rest assured that JG earns Tens of millions of dollars there every year.

Archived