Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Marshall or Mcintosh

mrredskinDgreen

We improved our team by getting rid of Warrick Foldman oops, I mean Holdman. That guy was continually getting blocked. It could be quite possible that is reason the Lavar was out of position all the time. Lavar was always chasing leaving the cut back lane to be open.

I think the coaching staff's plan is to have Rocky as WLB starter. He has the better physical tools, he just needs to get the mental part down, and it sounds as tho he well on his way in that regaurd if you believe all the comments and hype. Live action in the preseason games will tell the story, tho.

With Marshall's experience, he can back up all 3 LB positions in case of injury, and with Washington playing in a more DE type roll in passing situations Lamar can be brought in as cover LB.

Adding Fletcher in Marshall's old starting spot and Rocky contributing more this season, it gives the D much more flexibility, something that we saw all too well was sorely lacking last season.

All that said, it certainly is a luxury to have someone with Marshall's exp. to fill the starting WLB spot if need be.

:2cents:

Why is everyone acting like they know how Rocky will play? We have never seen him play in any important games, any compliments that people give Rocky are based on wishful thinking on what he might be able to do.

Well that is what the people of ES do. We are the most optomistic people in the NFL. Rocky is young and he has potential to be great and right now that is what we want and need.

Say Marshall and Rocky had the identical skill sets and they basically could perform the same job with the same performance output. Rocky is younger and can improve on these skills to become a better player which will benefit the team in the long run. The longer he sits in the bench the less time he has to learn about in game situations which to be honest the only REAL way to learn a position. so....

BRING ON THE ROCK because I Smeeelllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll What the ROCK IS COOKIN.

Why is everyone acting like they know how Rocky will play? We have never seen him play in any important games, any compliments that people give Rocky are based on wishful thinking on what he might be able to do.

if you watched games he played in last year, hes capable of making plays. he tackles very well and im convinced he couldnt break the starting lineup last year due to his coverage ability. he probably struggled with the coverage packages that williams had and holdman got the start due to it. but when he played he did well and tackled very well. his one play on barber in the last giants game is evidence that he can play.

Well that is what the people of ES do. We are the most optomistic people in the NFL. Rocky is young and he has potential to be great and right now that is what we want and need.

Say Marshall and Rocky had the identical skill sets and they basically could perform the same job with the same performance output. Rocky is younger and can improve on these skills to become a better player which will benefit the team in the long run. The longer he sits in the bench the less time he has to learn about in game situations which to be honest the only REAL way to learn a position. so....

BRING ON THE ROCK because I Smeeelllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll What the ROCK IS COOKIN.[/QUOTE]

I should have known that was coming.

I think it will all depend on who is super smarter and fighting their guts out more but I guess with Fletcher calling the shots, R-Mack can just do what he is told. I wonder if he will still play some special teams.

How is it that we all somehow know Rocky has big play ability? He's a playmaker?

I didn't see him make any big plays when he started the few games GW let him. He definitely made tackles, but I didn't see the playmaking ability many of you seem to be claiming he has.

What are those claims based off of? I say we just let them fight for the starting spot its the best way to settle it.

I really dont know I like them both a lot. Whoever wins the starting job he have good depth with the other guy.

I'm sure the "preferred" plan is to have Marshall the back-up because he has starting exp. at middle and weakside, and has been in this system much more than Rocky and will likely adapt better/quicker to strong side if need be.

The better of the two in the preseason will be the starter tho, and Rocky does have some exp. at the other positions from college.

We'll be in pretty good shape in either scenario :cheers: .

I think both are very capable OLBs, and although Rocky is still somewhat unproven, I'd like to see what he's got.

I think that (pending his preseason performance) Rocky should start and we should save Lemar (a converted DB who is excellent in coverage) for 3rd downs and passing situations.

I doubt it'd work, but it'd be cool to run a 3-4, with Griffin, Daniels, and Carter running the line, and Fletcher, Washington, Marshall, and McIntosh playing linebackers. I'm not sure if it'd work though, since I don't understand the complexities of a 3-4 vs. 4-3

]']I doubt it'd work' date=' but it'd be cool to run a 3-4, with Griffin, Daniels, and Carter running the line, and Fletcher, Washington, Marshall, and McIntosh playing linebackers. I'm not sure if it'd work though, since I don't understand the complexities of a 3-4 vs. 4-3[/quote']

I don't think Carter would fit in a 3 man line he is not very powerfull and doens't hold his ground very well. That is why they tried to make him a Linebacker. He found his groove in the 4-3 and I don't think we should change that.

]']I doubt it'd work' date=' but it'd be cool to run a 3-4, with Griffin, Daniels, and Carter running the line, and Fletcher, Washington, Marshall, and McIntosh playing linebackers. I'm not sure if it'd work though, since I don't understand the complexities of a 3-4 vs. 4-3[/quote']

In addition to bigger DEs, typically you need a massive, immoveable space eater at nose tackle, which Griff is not fit that prototype.

Lamar can still play, he was just put out of position at MLB and made some clutch plays for us over the past few years. Its a shame he did so poorly, along with the rest of the D last year. I really dont care who is there because both will play fine and either one can be a quality player for us.

How is it that we all somehow know Rocky has big play ability? He's a playmaker?

I didn't see him make any big plays when he started the few games GW let him. He definitely made tackles, but I didn't see the playmaking ability many of you seem to be claiming he has.

What are those claims based off of? I say we just let them fight for the starting spot its the best way to settle it.

i guess people think hes got big play ability because of his ability to tackle well, and because hes got very good speed for a linebacker. hes the kind of guy that can be relied on to get that big stop on 3rd down. last game of the season, barber was juking out everyone, he goes running at rocky, barber jukes and rocky stayed right with him and shoved him out of bounds. his tackling ability should equate to forced fumbles and his speed will allow him to make sure guys dont get around the edges on him, plus it should help his coverage skills.

id have to ask you, what do you consider qualities that equate to playmaking skills? being faster and better at tackling are qualities that make guys elite and "playmakers".

In addition to bigger DEs, typically you need a massive, immoveable space eater at nose tackle, which Griff is not fit that prototype.

if salavea is actually 337 pounds like redskins.com claims, we could easily run a 3-4 at times. daniels and wynn would work as 3-4 DEs, wouldnt shock me to see golston line up as a DE in a 3-4 if hes actually up to 320.

I think that Mcintosh gets the nod to start the season, however, I think if his production is not up to snuff, he'll get pulled quickly for Marshall. I like L. Marshall. I always saw him as a slightly above average LB will consistent play potential. However, I want to become a straight fan of Rocky.

if you watched games he played in last year, hes capable of making plays. he tackles very well and im convinced he couldnt break the starting lineup last year due to his coverage ability. he probably struggled with the coverage packages that williams had and holdman got the start due to it. but when he played he did well and tackled very well. his one play on barber in the last giants game is evidence that he can play.
You are right, he did show that he is very capable of making plays. He proved it on ST also. You are also correct in that I remember it being reported that Rocky was having trouble grasping all of the defensive packages. And that the mistakes that he did make mostly came from him having that problem. Now that he has had a full season and offseason to retain all of the packages, he should be able to rely on his pure athletic ability and instinct.

In all honesty though, that play against the Giants when Rocky ran Tiki down from behind; Rocky came in untouched and Tiki was cutting toward the outside. It showed off Rock's speed and that he has a nose for the ball with how agressively he went after Tiki. But it was definitely a play that he should have made.

I haven't seen play maker ability from Rocky yet, but I will save judgment on him until I get a chance to see him play, but I am not going to assume that he is great either, he needs to show me something.

Archived