Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Harry Potter Movie!

Mr. S

I just wanted to hear people's thoughts on the newest Harry Potter movie. Sorry if someone started a thread, couldn't find one through the search.

Personally, I didn't really care for the movie, but it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. I'll say more once I hear more.

My girlfriend is a huge Potter fan, I however, am not a fan of wand waggling fantasy. Give me swords and fireballs out of hands!

I have seen some of the movies, and they are pretty cool, I know I will be dragged out to go see it. I guess the fact that I will be drug to see it makes the movie enjoyable because my expectations are so low :whoknows:

It was pretty terrible. Acting, especially in the first half, was atrocious. They cut out two major storylines, and crammed in what they left, when an extra 30 seconds of dialogue during some scenes would have helped hugely. Overall, pretty disappointing. No quidditch, no action in the first 3/4 of the movie, and all the major players apparently forgot how to act. Thank God I don't have to pay to see movies.

I saw it this afternoon... I really liked it. Then again, I'm not a huge fan of action...action, to me, is boring. I prefer a lot of dialogue.

I think kids would be really scared of some of the special effects... definitely geared more towards adults. A lot of the dialogue would be very hard for kids to understand as well.

I don't really mind the lack of action either. I do like Quidditch though, granted I guess it wasn't that important in this book. I still wish it was put into the 3rd movie though, definitely important then.

What I hate is how they pretty much rearranged the whole book for this movie. Maybe the first 10 minutes were sequential, the rest weren't. Also, the parts where there should have been action, I expected a lot of it. The fight at the end is supposed to be longer and more things happen. Dumbledore is supposed to appear in the end and flat out own all the death eaters. Then when he fights Voldemort, he effortlessly bests him and Voldemort shows fear to Dumbledore, not the other way around.

I'll say that Michael Gambon has redeemed himself as Dumbledore this movie compared to the third and fourth, still not as good as Richard Harris was but better now.

Either way, this movie probably has the least amount of rewatchability value. they made it seem too much like a teen flick. All the magic that made the first couple movies good has all but vanished from the films now.

I thought the movie was solid until the end. Things were changed in the buildup but none of it seemed too major, and I wasn't expecting some sort of word-for-word transition from book to movie. The Department of Mysteries scene was a huge letdown, though. I don't mind when a movie changes plot points but when they do it worse...Agree completely with Mr. S regarding the Dumbledore/Voldemort scene.

After that letdown, the movie just sort of ends. The end of Order of the Phoenix in canon is the longest, most important conversation that Harry has with Dumbledore. Those 3 lines didn't do it justice.

I haven't seen it yet, but I was outraged how much they left out of the last one, so this is likely to be even worse.

They really only got it right with the first movie. Since then it's been like watching the reader's digest version of the story - completely abridged.

At least they should do better with "Prince" which was way too short IMO and not terribly much ever really happens til the end.

Nine more days til "Hallows"!!!

Saw it last night and loved it. I'm a fan of the books, and this one was one of my favorite of the series. I think they got most of the movie right this time, as opposed to Goblet of Fire. They really missed the boat with that one.

I think even casual fans will enjoy this movie as well.

especially with the final book coming out in 9 days, I'm not sure what will motivate me to see the final two movies. I guess people who haven't read the books will want to watch the ending, but I feel book fans like myself will be disappointed.

Maybe Chris Columbus will take over as director again and bring back glory to this film series,

especially with the final book coming out in 9 days, I'm not sure what will motivate me to see the final two movies. I guess people who haven't read the books will want to watch the ending, but I feel book fans like myself will be disappointed.

Maybe Chris Columbus will take over as director again and bring back glory to this film series,

Considering how important Dumbledore is to Book 6 and how much I dislike his portrayal since the change, I think the HBP movie is gonna be pretty disappointing.

Considering how important Dumbledore is to Book 6 and how much I dislike his portrayal since the change, I think the HBP movie is gonna be pretty disappointing.

His portrayal in this movie was much better.

David Yates (director for OOTP and the next flick) and Alfonso Cuarón (director for POA) have done brilliant jobs.

Chris Columbus is great for the PG family-friendly adventure Potter movies, but these recent ones are far more adult themed.

David Yates (director for OOTP and the next flick) and Alfonso Cuarón (director for POA) have done brilliant jobs.

Chris Columbus is great for the PG family-friendly adventure Potter movies, but these recent ones are far more adult themed.

I guess it's a matter of opinion. As I said, David Yates turned OOTP into a teen flick. All they were doing the whole movie was giggling about something stupid here or there.

I would take Alfonso Cuaron for the final two movies, better consolation than Yates and Newell.

I think Columbus would have done a better job with the remaining movies. His first two were PG cause the books were below G. The third and fourth start to show some darkness, and the 5th is dark. The first and second book had more family friendly magic too it. He would have adapted.

I don't know, man. The darkest stuff Columbus has directed are the Home Alone movies.

As far as Yates adding in "giggling," I only remember a couple select scenes which helped to reiterate the fact that these kids were best friends. I think they were handled well, and played out pretty naturally as opposed to feeling forced. Again, just a matter of opinion like you said. Although, these scenes actually ended up becoming plot points that came up again during the face-off between Harry and Voldemort.

I guess it's a matter of opinion. As I said, David Yates turned OOTP into a teen flick. All they were doing the whole movie was giggling about something stupid here or there.

I would take Alfonso Cuaron for the final two movies, better consolation than Yates and Newell.

I think Columbus would have done a better job with the remaining movies. His first two were PG cause the books were below G. The third and fourth start to show some darkness, and the 5th is dark. The first and second book had more family friendly magic too it. He would have adapted.

I don't know, man. The darkest stuff Columbus has directed are the Home Alone movies.

well, also realize that Columbus decided to produce the third movie instead of direct it. Not sure why he stopped after that. I think it was his job to lose though and he could have adapted.

I also feel they didn't need to make this movie as dark as they did. I guess that's part of creative liberty with movies though. It was not as bad as I expected overall, a bit better compared to the 4th. They at least they tried to cover a lot of things through flashes like the Daily Prophet flashes. I just think that some scenes could have been better than they were. The fight in the Department of Mysteries was one of the things I was looking forward to, and it busted. Dumbledore showing fear to Voldemort, dead wrong.

Saw this yesterday evening. Good movie I thought. It was a bit dark, (but it was supposed to be I believe. Could tell through a few abrupt changes in scenes that there was some stuff left on the editing room floor, but overall, I enjoyed it.

Not bad, but they changed/eliminated too many things from the book (the Pensieve, Dumbledore's explanation to Harry at the end, Umbridge admitting having released the Dementors, etc). I must say, though, that Rickman was good (as usual) as Snape, and Imelda Staunton was GREAT as Umbridge.

Archived