Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Harry Potter Movie!

Mr. S

I saw this with the wife and kids-

I have read the book, as has my oldest daughter. Wife and younger daughter have not read any books.

My wife said it wasn't comprehensible why some things were being done, or in some cases what had actually happened.

My daughter and I agreed that they really nailed some of the new characters (Luna and Umbridge for sure) personalities from the book, and did a good job covering some of the major scenes that they did leave in.

For the folks who like the light hearted childs movies the original ones are, or dislike the older appearance of the actors, you need to consider a couple of things-

1. The books have been progressively darker as they have gone on. This is a true fight between good and evil (there is a Dark Lord on the active scene folks -- kind of like Hitler loose inisde of the United States with an army), and not a Disney morphed fairy tale. Since the upcoming book will be the last, and the end of the story according to the offer, I think we can expect that Harry Potter will die killing Voldemort eventually. That will be pretty dark for most Americans, especially kids.

2. The original actors will most likely finish out the movies. They are supposed to be getting older btw, because in this movie, they do their OWL tests, and in the book after this story, they study and do their NEWT tesing. That is the last set of testing done prior to getting a job slot post school (college finals if you will), and while some form of additional schooling is available (masters, etc.) it is generally time to be adults after the NEWTS are done.

yeah, the movie doesn't have great transitions so those who haven't read the books find it hard to follow at times. I am re-reading the book now actually, obviously I can point out a bunch of flaws, but in hindsight, the movie doesn't seem so bad. I wish they had developed the characters in the Order more though.

Rickman as Snape, Oldman as Sirius, and Umbridge were great. Evanna Lynch beat out 15,000 girls to play Luna Lovegood, and she defintely deserved it. Michael Gambon has also redeemed himself. I'd say it was more the writing and directing though as to why he wasn't good in the 3rd and 4th movie, but they definitely brought him back to acting like Dumbledore again.

I also think kudos need to be given to Rupert Grint. He's always overlooked compared to Radcliffe and Watson, but he's evolved his character pretty well.

IMO, the worst Potter movie of them all. Actually, it was probably the only one that I didn't like. 3/4 of the movie was dedicated to the stupid evil head master storyline and creating an army of kids. Ultimately, the army of kids did nothing and the evil head master had no bearing on anything other than giving Potter and friends a tough time. They opened up a ton of storylines such as 'How are Potter and Voldemort connected?' and they never even try to answer them. The worst part is how Dumbledore is treated in the movie as this vacant lot of a character. He makes up maybe 5 minutes of dialogue in the entire movie. At the end of the movie, I didn't feel as though the story had progressed and considering this is the final film, that was supremely disappointing.

I've read all the books. This movie was the worst movie IMO. I'm not gunna say it was bad, but it was definitely a skeleton of the book. I was very dissapointed with how they did the Ministry of Magic. I imagined it being a lot more...I dunno epic-looking. It seemed kinda bare and it was dark. I pictured the atrium of the Ministry to be much bigger with lots going on. The fight between Dumbledore and Voldemort was weak. I did like how they did Umbridge.

However, the plot moved at an unusual pace. It was alright. I understand that they can't put everything in the movies and all or else it would be 5 hours long with three times the budget. But they moved very briskly through things that I felt should have had more attention paid to.

>3/4 of the movie was dedicated to the stupid evil head master storyline and creating an army of kids

I know, man. What the hell was that about? Why would a movie based on a book actually have the plot from the book in the movie? Idiots if you ask me.

Seriously, had you ever even heard of Harry Potter before seeing this?

And 7 books = 7 movies, btw.

IMO' date=' the worst Potter movie of them all. Actually, it was probably the only one that I didn't like. 3/4 of the movie was dedicated to the stupid evil head master storyline and creating an army of kids. Ultimately, the army of kids did nothing and the evil head master had no bearing on anything other than giving Potter and friends a tough time. They opened up a ton of storylines such as 'How are Potter and Voldemort connected?' and they never even try to answer them. The worst part is how Dumbledore is treated in the movie as this vacant lot of a character. He makes up maybe 5 minutes of dialogue in the entire movie. At the end of the movie, I didn't feel as though the story had progressed and considering this is the final film, that was supremely disappointing.[/quote']

Ok, I thought they moved to quickly with the movie, but overall, it was pretty good. I think the movie should have been longer, 2:15 for how long of a book that was, doesnt make sense.

Next time I go and see a movie like this, I'm going to wait a while because I had the dumbest people sitting around me :mad: These ladies in their late 30's sat infront of me, and the one wouldnt stop making noice and clapping when characters like Dumbledore appeared on screen. And during the major fight scene, she jumped around in her seat throwing her hands up... :doh: :laugh:

Ok, I thought they moved to quickly with the movie, but overall, it was pretty good. I think the movie should have been longer, 2:15 for how long of a book that was, doesnt make sense.

Next time I go and see a movie like this, I'm going to wait a while because I had the dumbest people sitting around me :mad: These ladies in their late 30's sat infront of me, and the one wouldnt stop making noice and clapping when characters like Dumbledore appeared on screen. And during the major fight scene, she jumped around in her seat throwing her hands up... :doh: :laugh:

i bet alcohol was involved

I thought the movie was solid until the end. Things were changed in the buildup but none of it seemed too major, and I wasn't expecting some sort of word-for-word transition from book to movie. The Department of Mysteries scene was a huge letdown, though. I don't mind when a movie changes plot points but when they do it worse...Agree completely with Mr. S regarding the Dumbledore/Voldemort scene.

After that letdown, the movie just sort of ends. The end of Order of the Phoenix in canon is the longest, most important conversation that Harry has with Dumbledore. Those 3 lines didn't do it justice.

AGREED. Sounds like we have the same gripes with the movie.

All in all, it's better than 1-3, but nowhere near the same league was Goblet of Fire. Goblet of Fire stayed much more true to the book than this one.

shoot, my problem was with the under 18 crowd in my theater. These annoying middle school or freshman girls behind us just kept saying dumb things the whole movie. I think they already saw it during the midnight showing and coming again. When Grawp appeared one girl repeated literally 20 times "look at how cute his baby face is".

My one friend loved the movie cause she didn't like the book. Personally, I think it's robbery if JK Rowling receives any royalties for this movie, the movie should have ahd the tagline of "VERY loosely based on the book by JK Rowling".

>3/4 of the movie was dedicated to the stupid evil head master storyline and creating an army of kids

I know, man. What the hell was that about? Why would a movie based on a book actually have the plot from the book in the movie? Idiots if you ask me.

And 7 books = 7 movies, btw.

Honest mistake about this being the last movie. I don't even know why I thought that to tell the truth. As for the blatant sarcasm, it's fine to include material from the original source, but not at the expense of more important storylines and certainly not at the expense of making a good movie. If you enjoyed the movie, good for you. I thought it was tripe. And at the expense of sounding like every other condescending literati, the book was better.

3/4 of the book was not devoted to the DA like it was in the movie. I know they have to cut stuff out, but at least focus on other things, especially the Order work. Maybe should have included the arrest of Sturgis Podmore in the beginning, to sorta show why Arthur Weasley was attacked later on. In the books, the lessons are probably the least discussed, yet they were the focal point of the book.

The movie should have been titled "Harry Potter and Dumbledore's Army".

Worst one of the series so far. I felt that nothing really happened.

You think that was boring, wait til they film the next one.

Oo...flashbacks! Teen romance! Parties with Slughorn!

Nothing exciting happens until the end of the book. We never even see the penultimate Quidditch match between Gryffindor and Ravenclaw.

I don't think that one will translate well into a visual medium, although the Inferius should be cool-looking.

Archived