Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Music of the Future?

One Shot

www.purevolume.com/blindmanscolour<---- our music

EDIT: When I say electronica, I mean the core of the music is electronic. There are human vox with some added real instruments, our music has this.

Electronica. Or at least that's what I'm thinking. I know, I know, it's a bold prediction, but who knows? Every type of music has had it's time to shine. From centuries ago up until today, the "in" music has varied tremendously. Mainstream change.

The 60s and on were rock dominated, all types of rock emerged and it pwned the charts. Much of the youth idolized the Rock Gods and the much of the elderly condemned them. These days, we see that rap and hip hop are dominating the charts, and again much of the youth idolize the Gangsta Gods and the much of the elderly condemn them. Btw, when I say elderly, try not to take offense, I just need a word to describe the older as being older without calling them "old". Would you prefer experienced?:silly:

I'm thinking that during the next couple decades, the music liked by the youth will change once again. My guess is that the new "in" music will be electronica. Why? Well, it's the only type of music I can think of right now that hasn't hit the jackpot yet. Some of you might be overjoyed by the thought of it, and some of you may puke at the idea and that's ok, if one thing is certain, the music is NEVER liked by everyone.

What do you guys think? What is your choice for the music of the future? Will it be something completely new? Or will it be a resurrection?

All of these questions and statements are relevant to my second purpose of this thread. The band I'm in right now has slightly transformed as well. We were always experimental, but we started off all about rock and roll. Classic, alternative, indie, heavy, we tried to write all different kinds of rock. These days though, we're into an electronic sound. That isn't to say we don't listen and rock out still, I still am a rocker at heart, but we wanted to try something new. So here's some of what we've done in the electronic biz.

For many of you, it won't be your type of music. No problem, just check it out and give me some feedback. I'd really like to know what everybody thinks of it. If you like it, great. If you don't, **** you :D .

No, just no. Computers will never replace real instruments. Electronica is a niche genre. It finds its way into the mainstream sometimes when more conventional acts experiment with it, like Radiohead or even Pink Floyd. But it'll never be THE popular genre. There's no way it can express emotion or connect with humans like instruments or a human voice.

There's no way it can express emotion or connect with humans like instruments or a human voice.

I didn't make myself clear, I think. I just mean the core of the music is electronic. There are definitely vox and some real instruments, but the core is electronic. And consider this:

Back in....whenever it was, humans did a lot of work for themselves. They, by their own hand, did their work. I'm sure they felt the same way as you do: "People will always do work for themselves, it makes you a better person and produces more rewards from within. It's more satisfying that way."

But look what's happening? Things change, OS, people may feel differently years from now.

btw, did you listen to the music?

Electronica. Or at least that's what I'm thinking. I know, I know, it's a bold prediction, but who knows? Every type of music has had it's time to shine. From centuries ago up until today, the "in" music has varied tremendously. Mainstream change.

The late 20th century was completely rock dominated, all types of rock emerged and it pwned the charts. Much of the youth idolized the Rock Gods and the much of the elderly condemned them. These days, we see that rap and hip hop are dominating the charts, and again much of the youth idolize the Gangsta Gods and the much of the elderly condemn them. Btw, when I say elderly, try not to take offense, I just need a word to describe the older as being older without calling them "old". Would you prefer experienced?:silly:

I'm thinking that during the next couple decades, the music liked by the youth will change once again. My guess is that the new "in" music will be electronica. Why? Well, it's the only type of music I can think of right now that hasn't hit the jackpot yet. Some of you might be overjoyed by the thought of it, and some of you may puke at the idea and that's ok, if one thing is certain, the music is NEVER liked by everyone.

What do you guys think? What is your choice for the music of the future? Will it be something completely new? Or will it be a resurrection?

All of these questions and statements are relevant to my second purpose of this thread. The band I'm in right now has slightly transformed as well. We were always experimental, but we started off all about rock and roll. Classic, alternative, indie, heavy, we tried to write all different kinds of rock. These days though, we're into an electronic sound. That isn't to say we don't listen and rock out still, I still am a rocker at heart, but we wanted to try something new. So here's some of what we've done in the electronic biz.

For many of you, it won't be your type of music. No problem, just check it out and give me some feedback. I'd really like to know what everybody thinks of it. If you like it, great. If you don't, **** you :D .

Enjoy

www.purevolume.com/blindmanscolour

The late 20th century was not rock dominated at all. It was actually hip hop that took the 80's/90's by storm. Rock was still popular with stuff like Nirvana etc but be realistic.

The late 20th century was not rock dominated at all. It was actually hip hop that took the 80's/90's by storm. Rock was still popular with stuff like Nirvana etc but be realistic.

Are you serious?

Late 20th century includes the 70s 80s and 90s. If you want to reach you can include the 60s, considering it's later than the midpoint. So yea, be realistic.

Thank you. I mean seriously. Besides those annoying boy bands, rap was the genre with by far the mos steam in the 80's and 90's.

60's and 70's don't really count as LATE twentieth century though.

OK, if you want to nickle and dime it, I meant the 60s 70s 80s and 90s.

Thank you. I mean seriously. Besides those annoying boy bands, rap was the genre with by far the mos steam in the 80's and 90's.

60's and 70's don't really count as LATE twentieth century though.

I'm pretty sure in math they round up and down...the earlier half of the century is 1900-1940's and was Jazz/Swing stuff mostly. The later half of the century was 1950-2000.

Here are the top 15 selling albums of all time in America (if this website is reliable):

http://www.infoplease.com/ipea/A0151020.html

Eagles: Their Greatest Hits, 1971–1975, Eagles (Asylum) 29 million

Thriller, Michael Jackson (Epic) 27 million

Led Zeppelin IV, Led Zeppelin (Atlantic) 23 million

The Wall, Pink Floyd (Columbia) 23 million

Greatest Hits, Volumes I & II, Billy Joel (Columbia) 21 million

Back in Black, AC/DC (Epic) 21 million

Double Live, Garth Brooks (Capitol Nashville) 20 million

Come On Over, Shania Twain (Mercury Nashville) 20 million

The Beatles, The Beatles (Capitol) 19 million

Rumours, Fleetwood Mac (Warner Bros.) 19 million

The Bodyguard (soundtrack), Whitney Houston (Arista) 17 million

Physical Graffiti, Led Zeppelin (Swan Song) 16 million

The Beatles: 1967–1970, The Beatles (Capitol) 16 million

Greatest Hits, Elton John (Island/Mercury) 16 million

Hotel California, Eagles (Elektra) 16 million

-----------------------------

Of the top 15 selling albums I count 11 rock albums, 2 pop albums, and 2 country albums.

Rock has sold roughly 236 million albums vs. pop's 38 million on this list alone. The list goes on but I just see more and more rock/metal/whatever bands.

Face it, in America in the later half of the century different forms of rock have dominated the charts.

First off, try to keep it chill? please? and second, please explain how rap has dominated more than rock.

We're just saying that into the late 80's/90's rap picked up ALOT of steam and considering the amount of classics that came out between 1984-1994, it was "a force to be reckoned with".

I'm pretty sure in math they round up and down...the earlier half of the century is 1900-1940's and was Jazz/Swing stuff mostly. The later half of the century was 1950-2000.

Here are the top 15 selling albums of all time in America (if this website is reliable):

http://www.infoplease.com/ipea/A0151020.html

Eagles: Their Greatest Hits, 1971–1975, Eagles (Asylum) 29 million

Thriller, Michael Jackson (Epic) 27 million

Led Zeppelin IV, Led Zeppelin (Atlantic) 23 million

The Wall, Pink Floyd (Columbia) 23 million

Greatest Hits, Volumes I & II, Billy Joel (Columbia) 21 million

Back in Black, AC/DC (Epic) 21 million

Double Live, Garth Brooks (Capitol Nashville) 20 million

Come On Over, Shania Twain (Mercury Nashville) 20 million

The Beatles, The Beatles (Capitol) 19 million

Rumours, Fleetwood Mac (Warner Bros.) 19 million

The Bodyguard (soundtrack), Whitney Houston (Arista) 17 million

Physical Graffiti, Led Zeppelin (Swan Song) 16 million

The Beatles: 1967–1970, The Beatles (Capitol) 16 million

Greatest Hits, Elton John (Island/Mercury) 16 million

Hotel California, Eagles (Elektra) 16 million

-----------------------------

Of the top 15 selling albums I count 11 rock albums, 2 pop albums, and 2 country albums.

Rock has sold roughly 236 million albums vs. pop's 38 million on this list alone. The list goes on but I just see more and more rock/metal/whatever bands.

Face it, in America in the later half of the century different forms of rock have dominated the charts.

Ok but I mean think, one those albums were released decades before the first rap albums so of course they'll have sold way more. Second, some of those are greatest hits so the artist doesn't make new albums anymore (generally). I am not arguing that between 1950-200 rap dominated, that's stupid. I'm saying that in the late 80's and early 90's it had more momentum than rock did.

We're just saying that into the late 80's/90's rap picked up ALOT of steam and considering the amount of classics that came out between 1984-1994, it was "a force to be reckoned with".

I'm not saying it wasn't a force to be reckoned with. Actually, I'm saying that it was and still is a force to be reckoned with. But rock was still #1. You made it look like I was being ridiculous for saying that rock was really the one that had dominated.

And thanks for getting the stats, Rock.

I'm saying that in the late 80's and early 90's it had more momentum than rock did.

And isn't that what i said in my original post? Rap is now more popular than rock? That would have to mean that over the 90s, rap's popularity increased while rock's decreased.

I'm not saying it wasn't a force to be reckoned with. Actually, I'm saying that it was and still is a force to be reckoned with. But rock was still #1. You made it look like I was being ridiculous for saying that rock was really the one that had dominated.

And thanks for getting the stats, Rock.

Alright well, I apologize for the overdoing.

Rap today is terrible. It's embarrassing that it even sells with stuff like Pop Lock N Drop It....

Pretty good stuff. I liked Faded Nuance - the intro made me think of Aphex Twin...

Electronica never seemed to get as big in the US as it has been overseas, but I think where it can grow is in hip-hop/rock/electronia crossover artists like Gnarls Barkley or Gorillaz or The Neptunes/Pharrell/NERD. There's definitely a little niche growing in that area, and your band seems to have the kind of sound that could fit in there.

Best of luck with it. :cheers:

No, just no. Computers will never replace real instruments. Electronica is a niche genre. It finds its way into the mainstream sometimes when more conventional acts experiment with it, like Radiohead or even Pink Floyd. But it'll never be THE popular genre. There's no way it can express emotion or connect with humans like instruments or a human voice.

This is so far off base I'm surprised you even posted it.

the computer IS an instrument, in case you haven't been paying attention to reality for the past, oh, 15 years.. A person can play the computer the same way an instrument is played, just in a different way. The same way a person can produce 'sounds' if you will from an instrument is the same way someone can produce sound from a computer. The main difference is the guy using the computer has so many more sounds at disposal. you still have to have an ear, and producers talent in order to make music from a computer. And there is a HUGE audience for this type of music. Trance, house, and drum n bass to name a few are over 1 billion combined in revenue just from records and CD's. This doesn't even count the billions in revenue from the alcohol sold at parties that play said music.

Try telling those people that 'their' music doesnt evoke as much emotion as a 'real' instrument and they will laugh in your face. :)

Archived