Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tivo Now On Comcast HD DVR's

HOF44

Just got off the phone with Comcast and was informed that the HD DVR boxes running the Tivo software are now available. I will be exchanging mine tommorow and will let you know how it goes. Sometimes I don't trust the phone service. I hope they are right on this one.

Just got off the phone with Comcast and was informed that the HD DVR boxes running the Tivo software are now available. I will be exchanging mine tommorow and will let you know how it goes. Sometimes I don't trust the phone service. I hope they are right on this one.

What box do you have now? I have the Scientific Atlanta one, which actually runs pretty good....whats the difference?

-Grant

What box do you have now? I have the Scientific Atlanta one, which actually runs pretty good....whats the difference?

-Grant

I have the SA 8300HD now. The difference is the software. It gives you a Tivo interface, which if you have not used one before is hard to explain how much superior it is to the crap on the old comcast boxes.

I have the SA 8300HD now. The difference is the software. It gives you a Tivo interface, which if you have not used one before is hard to explain how much superior it is to the crap on the old comcast boxes.

Do you know if it costs any extra or the same? Does the Tvio box have HDMI?

Thanks

-Grant

i will have to say the FIOS dvr's are far superior to the tivos'

• 2 weeks later...

Any update? I can't even find people at Comcast that even know about Tivo on Comcast. Something tells me the boxes weren't available when you went to switch.

I called Comcast twice today. Both times they told me I could buy a Tivo at Best Buy, but Comcast doesn't do it. One of them searched the web and discovered, apparently for the first time, that there at least will be Tivo provided by Comcast in the future, but neither cold find anything available now.

Any update? I can't even find people at Comcast that even know about Tivo on Comcast. Something tells me the boxes weren't available when you went to switch.

I called Comcast twice today. Both times they told me I could buy a Tivo at Best Buy, but Comcast doesn't do it. One of them searched the web and discovered, apparently for the first time, that there at least will be Tivo provided by Comcast in the future, but neither cold find anything available now.

Called them last week and got the same answer.....somethings fishy..

-Grant

I went to the local office and they tried to give me the same DVR I have now. :doh: The 800 number has told me twice they have them available in my area. But obviously they don't. TheTivo version only works on a Motorola box, not an SA one. I wish they would get their **** together and get it out. I want an HD Tivo dammit!!

I went to the local office and they tried to give me the same DVR I have now. :doh: The 800 number has told me twice they have them available in my area. But obviously they don't. TheTivo version only works on a Motorola box, not an SA one. I wish they would get their **** together and get it out. I want an HD Tivo dammit!!

Like I said in another thread - there is a 75% chance that the person you call won't know their elbow from their *******. :laugh:

-Grant

You probably need to know that TiVo is much like Macintosh computers in that it has a very vocal, passionate, loyal, practically evangelistic base of users (of which I am one).

Many years ago, I bought my first TiVo. I had DirecTV, so I bought two DircTivo, one for me, and one for my wife.

My wife was upset, and thought two was a waste of money (they were $400 a piece at the time). Why not just one for both of us?

A week later, and she was threatening me if I came near "her" TiVo. :laugh:

Thanks. I figured something like that must have happened. The ones I spoke with did not even know it existed.

I went over to an avsforum thread on this and although most of the thread seems to be dedicated to the "I can't wait for Comcast any longer so I'm buying my own tivo box" posts, it does appear that beta testing is beginning, or will be soon. Looks like it's starting in New England.

This is actually not correct. Comcast currently only has the DVR either you 8300 or 8000 which 8300 is much better. I know this beacause i used to be a formal tech with them. There was talk tho about Comcast buying out Tivo here very shortly but i doubt that has happened yet. You can go out and purchase a Tivo and sinc it up with the comcast cox. Unforuntley, ive seen this have some problems for instance you cant obviously tape On Demand which many people try to do. Also, ive seen when a customer would be taping lets say the show 24 on fox it would actaully tape another channel (not really sure why this happens my only guess would be is that the format between the two dont match up). I only quit with the company about 2 months ago so i could be wrong, but i still talk to my buddies there and ive heard no news of Tivo with Comcast tho.

This is actually not correct. Comcast currently only has the DVR either you 8300 or 8000 which 8300 is much better. I know this beacause i used to be a formal tech with them.

Things have changed since you were a tech.

Link to info On Comcast Tivo on Motorola Box

Aside from the Comcast branding and minor UI tweaks, it looks like the TiVo interface fans of the DVR are accustomed to with a few extra features thrown in like metadata searches and support for Comcast's On Demand programming. The remote control is the same, the sound effects are the same—it's the TiVo experience fans of the DVR have come to appreciate. The Comcast TiVos also highlight HD content in the program guide and offer a "Get It In HD" option for WishList and Season Pass recordings. The TiVo software runs on the Motorola 3400 and Motorola 6400 DVRs, with the 3400 offering HDMI connectors in addition to the usual composite, component, and coaxial connections.

Archived