Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Darrell Green - HOF

Mania

Darrell Green will most likely be voted into the Hall of Fame later this year.

Careful you don't count the chickens before they quack.

I think Green will probably get in the Hall, he deserves it. But most outsiders (i.e., those who don't wear pig snouts and picnic dresses for Sunday services) don't have him pegged as a first ballot.

First - Monk and Green were on different sides of the ball. Just cuz we love them both, don't expect one to "hold-out" from the Hall of Fame for the others.

Second - What are we going to do if Green doesn't get in on first ballot? Would everyone in the sports world realize it was a complete travesty, or would we go around having to defend Darrell Green like we have to defend Art Monk? People thought Art Monk was a first ballot lock too - all-time receiving leader when he retired is a first ballot qualification if I ever heard one.

Third - If somehow only one Redskin gets in this year, Gibbs will probably give the induction speech. I can see Green's son speaking, but the one giving the induction speech should be a football player, coach, or legend otherwise.

But most outsiders (i.e., those who don't wear pig snouts and picnic dresses for Sunday services) don't have him pegged as a first ballot.

Actually, they do.

Peter King:

I think if Vegas had a tote board on the 2008 Hall of Fame voting, the odds would be shortest for Darrell Green (2-1) and Cris Carter (5-2).

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/03/26/0326/4.html

Dr. Z:

OK, he names Deion, Rod Woodson and Darrell Green as recent names who are almost shoo-ins.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/dr_z/06/21/mailbag.0621/index.html

Len Shapiro:

I believe those three and Darrell Green (next year he’s eligible for the first time) will eventually be in the Hall of Fame. I’m hoping for a Green/Monk twin double next year, and rest assured, both men have plenty of support in the room and it’s just a matter of time.

http://artmonk.wordpress.com/2007/03/26/hogs-haven-interviews-len-shapiro/

The Hall of Fame website itself:

Two members of the Class of '83 already are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame -- Kelly and Dickerson. Four others are virtual locks as soon as they become eligible -- Marino, Elway, Bruce Matthews and Darrell Green. Dent and Craig are on the bubble.

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/release.jsp?release_id=1540

Yes but what you and so many others would fail to understand is that he would be doing so under the instruction of Gregg Williams so the reason you can't hear him is because the coaches told him to do so not because he's an idiot.

Excuses, Excuses You might be able to cover for him about the huge pad he gives wideouts but you cant cover for the drops the coaches didnt tell him to drop easy pics that could have been gamechangers

I am not saying Green is an absolute lock to make it in. They will probably vote Terrance Newman in before they vote in Darrell.

If they do the HOF will lose the little respect anyone has for the Cowterd lovin' fraterity. They better vote Darrel Green in!

Darrell Green has the same kind of production as Monk did when his name was first on the ballot. Longevity, Consistancy, Ability. All of which both players had. I believe that Both Monk and Green both deserve it but i will say that I think Green will get voted in first, ONLY because he did everything he did being undersized and over matched. That and there are quite a few highlights of Darrell Green running people down and making plays. (Championship game vs Bears comes to mind). Green wasnt flashy in any sense but seeing an offensive player making a play isnt as impressive as seeing a defensive player ALWAYS around the ball.....just my 2 cents

and dont read this wrong, I believe Monk deserves it just as much as Green but those tools down at the HOF voting dont see it the same way we do...

I no longer know what to think about the HOF. I am sure there are teams out that are saying the same things about certain players on their teams, but come on. What does it take for these people to realize that Art Monk i a hall of fame player, first ballot? And if they deny Darrell Green his place in history, then they are buffooons!

Darrell Green has the same kind of production as Monk did when his name was first on the ballot. Longevity, Consistancy, Ability. All of which both players had. I believe that Both Monk and Green both deserve it but i will say that I think Green will get voted in first, ONLY because he did everything he did being undersized and over matched. That and there are quite a few highlights of Darrell Green running people down and making plays. (Championship game vs Bears comes to mind). Green wasnt flashy in any sense

I think Green was very flashy for a defensive player. He had 12 TD returns in his career, three of them in the playoffs, the two most-replayed and famous rundowns in NFL history (Dorsett in '83 and Dickerson in '86, plus three other equally impressive if less famous ones on Curtis Martin '96, Napoleon Kauffman in '97, and Jerry Rice in '98).

Green also had two things going for him that the anti-Monk voters use to keep Monk out:

1. Green had seven Pro Bowl appearances during his career. Only once did the CB opposite Green make the Pro Bowl, and that was Cris Dishman in 1997. Whereas Monk's fellow WR Gary Clark made more Pro Bowls (four) than he did (three).

2. Green was feared by the NY Giants. I know that sounds silly, but both Peter King (now supporting Monk after years of blackballing him) and Paul Zimmerman, who covered the NY Giants during the 1980s, have stated that the Giants did not gameplan for Art Monk. They use that "fact" (Parcells has openly disputed it) as a reason for painting Monk with the "good but not great" label. Parcells and Phil Simms have both remarked on numerous occasions that Darrell scared the crap out of them and they avoided throwing at him like the plague.

In short, Darrell Green is an absolute 100% lead-pipe mortal lock to get into the Hall of Fame.

Herb Adderley (CB) 1961-1972

Lem Barney (CB) 1967-1977

Mel Blount (CB) 1970-1983

Willie Brown (CB) 1963-1978

Jack Christiansen (S) 1951-1958

Mike Haynes (CB) 1976-1989

Ken Houston (S) 1967-1980

Jimmy Johnson (CB) 1961-1976 Paul Krause (S) 1964-1979

Dick (Night Train) Lane (CB) 1952-1965

Yale Lary (S) 1952-1953, 1956-1964

Ronnie Lott (CB-S) 1981-1994

Mel Renfro (S-CB) 1964-1977

Emlen Tunnell (S) 1948-1961

Roger Wehrli 1969-1982

Larry Wilson (S) 1960-1972

Willie Wood (S) 1960-1971

They don't add DB's to the Hall very often, so no matter how great everybody knows Green was, I don't think we should consider him a lock.

Darrell Green will most likely be voted into the Hall of Fame later this year. In 2008 when he gets inducted, who do you think will give his speach? Do you feel it would be Joe Gibbs or a defensive coach like Petitbon?
I think coach Gibbs would be honored to introduce Darrell both of them have high morals and I feel like he would be the logical choice. I sure hope that Darrell is selected. :)

The Hall of Fame is so messed up right now. Obviosly Monk deserves to be in there, but so do the Hogs since pretty much any discussion about linemen eventually turns to them & not one is in the Hall of Fame. I hope Green gets in, bt I'm not holding my breat. I just don't trust the sports writers as far as the NFL Hall of fame goes. They held out Tags & Monk & put in Irvin.

Green is a first ballot for sure. Now if Monk doesn't get in I hope Darrell refuses to accept his nomination.

This is ridiculous. Would you turn down the highest award in your industry just because someone you thought was deserving didn't get it?

Come on. :doh:

They don't add DB's to the Hall very often, so no matter how great everybody knows Green was, I don't think we should consider him a lock.

He may not be a lock to make it first ballot but he should be an absolute lock to make it at some point.

WHEN Green gets inducted I'll be sure to make the trip to Canton.

I hope he does get voted in but we have to remember that he never had a star on the side of his helmet and he is a class act like Art. That will be a tuff decision for those pansy ***** writers especially since he was never a cokehead, or got busted with prostitutes. If he doesnt get in then forever piss on the Hall.

I hope he does get voted in but we have to remember that he never had a star on the side of his helmet and he is a class act like Art. That will be a tuff decision for those pansy ***** writers especially since he was never a cokehead, or got busted with prostitutes. If he doesnt get in then forever piss on the Hall.

I cant imagine him not being first ballot. I with you if his not ...forever piss on the Hall.

:dallasuck

Archived