Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Darrell Green - HOF

Mania

I think it'll be his son. Darrell is such a family guy, I can't see him taking that honor away from a family member. Especially since he sacrificed so much family time to play football all those years.

I agree 100%. I can't image him not asking his son to be his presenter.

Maybe monk and green will get in at the same time. Thatd definitely be cool.
I pray this happens, and then Redskins fans (myself included) completely fill the seats for the induction ceremony. Hell, I would have to get a special jersey made with number 28 on the front and 81 on the back.

I think Green was very flashy for a defensive player. He had 12 TD returns in his career, three of them in the playoffs, the two most-replayed and famous rundowns in NFL history (Dorsett in '83 and Dickerson in '86, plus three other equally impressive if less famous ones on Curtis Martin '96, Napoleon Kauffman in '97, and Jerry Rice in '98).

Green also had two things going for him that the anti-Monk voters use to keep Monk out:

1. Green had seven Pro Bowl appearances during his career. Only once did the CB opposite Green make the Pro Bowl, and that was Cris Dishman in 1997. Whereas Monk's fellow WR Gary Clark made more Pro Bowls (four) than he did (three).

2. Green was feared by the NY Giants. I know that sounds silly, but both Peter King (now supporting Monk after years of blackballing him) and Paul Zimmerman, who covered the NY Giants during the 1980s, have stated that the Giants did not gameplan for Art Monk. They use that "fact" (Parcells has openly disputed it) as a reason for painting Monk with the "good but not great" label. Parcells and Phil Simms have both remarked on numerous occasions that Darrell scared the crap out of them and they avoided throwing at him like the plague.

In short, Darrell Green is an absolute 100% lead-pipe mortal lock to get into the Hall of Fame.

there is a difference between flash and talent. Darrell Green wasnt dancing, strutting, or boasting whatsoever. He did his job and let his play do the talking. I'm not saying he wasnt on camera, i'm just saying he did what he was supposed to do and did it great, without letting it get to his head

This is ridiculous. Would you turn down the highest award in your industry just because someone you thought was deserving didn't get it?

Come on. :doh:

He may think he doesn't want to be part of anything that would exclude someone like Monk but include someone like Irvin.

The HOF isn't the highest award in the football industry, btw.

Agreed, but so should have Monk and some others.

100% agreed and for the record I think Darrell will make it on the first ballot but the snubbing of Monk gives me pause to predict anything logical from those hypocritical, self-serving Poobahs.

Maybe that is what those writers with their heads up their voting assess have been waiting for.

Green should refuse to accept the induction until Monk gets voted in.

Or is that the worst idea ever? I can't decide.

:doh: Definitely a bit extreme...

If something like a simultaneous Monk/Green induction were to happen, it would be heartbreaking, because I wouldn't be there to see it. :(

100% agreed and for the record I think Darrell will make it on the first ballot but the snubbing of Monk gives me pause to predict anything logical from those hypocritical, self-serving Poobahs.

Understandable viewpoint.

Certain members of the HOF voting committee have a set of tools they use to justify excluding Monk: only three Pro Bowls, not the most feared WR on his team, just a numbers guy, did not have a signature play, teams didn't gameplan to stop him, etc.

But none of those apply to Green who went to seven Pro Bowls, was clearly the premiere CB on the team, has at least four signature plays (Dorsett, Dickerson, the Bears punt return, and the phantom bat-down of the Darrin Nelson pass), and several noteworthy opponents have stated that they gameplanned to avoid Darrell. And the old claim that Monk is snubbed now because he never talked to the media doesn't apply to DG either, who was a gregarious and polite interview.

In short, there's not one single thing I can realistically imagine that could be used *against* Green's induction. Nothing.

Can anyone?

Herb Adderley (CB) 1961-1972

Lem Barney (CB) 1967-1977

Mel Blount (CB) 1970-1983

Willie Brown (CB) 1963-1978

Jack Christiansen (S) 1951-1958

Mike Haynes (CB) 1976-1989

Ken Houston (S) 1967-1980

Jimmy Johnson (CB) 1961-1976 Paul Krause (S) 1964-1979

Dick (Night Train) Lane (CB) 1952-1965

Yale Lary (S) 1952-1953, 1956-1964

Ronnie Lott (CB-S) 1981-1994

Mel Renfro (S-CB) 1964-1977

Emlen Tunnell (S) 1948-1961

Roger Wehrli 1969-1982

Larry Wilson (S) 1960-1972

Willie Wood (S) 1960-1971

They don't add DB's to the Hall very often, so no matter how great everybody knows Green was, I don't think we should consider him a lock.

He's a stone cold lock. There won't even be a debate.

If Darrell Green is not a lock then I don't know who is. I grew up with him as the only constant face of our franchise. Not only was he one of the best cornerbacks of all time, but he was just as good of a person and conducted himself like a hall of famer, while he was still playing, day in and day out. I think a lot of you would agree that champ bailey would not be who is he today if D Green didn't teach him some of his secrets.

Archived