Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why do local people go to bars to watch Redskins games ?

Kosher Ham

I lived in DC most of my life. I have lived in Atlanta, Hartford, Boston, LA, etc, and now live in Charlotte. I have had DirecTV so long I can even recall the last time I went to a bar for any game.

I never went to a bar in DC to watch a game. I either went to the game, or watched it at home (games aren't blacked out in Metro DC).

Is it because of the wife and kids ? If that's the case why not go to a buddies house ?

The atmosphere cant be as nice as sitting at home and turning the volume up full blast, with beers at your fingertips, and a comfy couch. Order some food or grill some stuff. If I want camaraderie, I invite some buddies over and make it a day. My wife doesn't mind and we have a great time.

Just curious.

EDIT: Yes, its the off-season, and if this is a stupid question, I dont mind getting blasted for it.

Even though I'm not a skins fan, I think anyone can relate to this question. I generally tend to stay at home or go to a buddies house. I also have Sunday Ticket. If a great sports bar is showing your team with volume on a good screen that atmosphere can be electric especially if you're into fantasy as well. My fantasy league crew.. we always used to go to The Green Turtle in Laurel for atleast week one action.

bars sometimes have bigger screens. Also, it may be easier for people to just meet up at a bar rather than at someones house, convenience in driving and all. For me, living at home this past season, I can't just have people over getting annoyed at dumb plays and drinking beer, parents wouldn't like that too well. Mainly, it's the atmosphere though.

Well, I haven't watched many Skins games in a bar environment, but maybe it's for the diversity of the crowd? I mean, it's almost like a stadium- you've got Skins fans, fans from opposing teams, and a bevy of liquor and food that is less expensive and higher quality than what you will find at FedEx. No lines at the restroom, no battling traffic.

For me, it's either been at home/friend's house or live.

I set up a Redskins room in my basement. It has burgundy carpet and walls, with a yellow stripe and white stripes on either side going horizontally all throughout the room. I'm adding Redskins memorabilia as I go. I have a 92" screen with an HDTV projector and NFL ticket. 2 of my neighbors have a similar setup in their basements (one is a Pukes fan, the other is a hybrid Skins/Ravens fan). So we take turns hosting to watch the games. Always good food, good beer, and good company.

The past 2 years I have purchased season tix through ticket holders. 2 years ago was the corner of the end zone lower level row 17, and last year was 10-yard line lower level row 7, purchased from a guy a met on here. I went with my buddy who can't go anymore. So I figured I probably wouldn't buy tix this year.

Then I got the call in the winter, that my name was pulled from the waitlist. I switched locations, ended up in section 425 (4 rows from the top) and I'll be selling the other seat to a good friend from high school/college rooommate. It's a big deal for me, even though I'll be up in the clouds swatting at helicopters, the tix will be in my name. Redskins season tickets, wow. My son just turned 4, and one day that other seat will be his. Eventually, both will be his and maybe he can take my grandson. Anyways, the best experience for me has always been going to the stadium, great childhood memories of RFK with my dad (who's no longer here), and some outstanding memories at FedEx. We piss and moan on here all the time about FedEx, but really it's great to be surrounded by 90,000 mostly Skins fans. The electricity is unbelievable at the games. That is why I go, for the experience.

I have been to watch a game since I lived in Charlotte, but not a Redskins game.

Just the inconvenience of having to drive at all is enough of a turn off to me.

Don't get me wrong fellas, If I go on vacation during the season, than I will hit up a sports bar. There used to be a great place in Miami, and tons of spots in Vegas.

But I have a huge TV, grill, and a kegerator. Obviously if I lived with my folks, or had some living arrangement where I had roommates that for whatever reason the game at home would be a disturbance, I would probably go to a bar. When I lived in Boston we would house sit (my GF at the times parents' house) and go to a nice little local bar, rather than drive back to my house, but otherwise she knew where to find me on football Sunday's.

That's like asking why to people go to the games? Sometimes people want to watch the games with a group of people, on a big screen, and chear with other fans.

When I lived in the DC< the Bethesda Drafthouse was still open and would show the games on the movie screen. I went there most games.

TLC, I have some questions about the HD projector. I will shoot you a PM. I have been thinking about getting one for my game room (got a house with basically 3 spaces so big, one will have to be a game room).

Going to the stadium in a no-brainer for me. The environment is certainly entertaining, and like you, I used to go with my dad to the games at RFK. I have friends that root for opposing teams, and we joke and tease each other about it. They are welcome at my house anytime. Smart football guys/gals are always welcome. Although I am selective about who is invited. My wife hates when women act like they dont know football or dont at all. She would rather me invite just the boys sometimes, she doesnt want to try and play football ignorant with them, or blast them with football knowledge. I married a keeper.

That's like asking why to people go to the games? Sometimes people want to watch the games with a group of people, on a big screen, and chear with other fans.

When I lived in the DC< the Bethesda Drafthouse was still open and would show the games on the movie screen. I went there most games.

The Drafthouse was great. Sticky floors and all. haha.

You lived in DC and didnt know any Redskins fans ? That seems unlikely. I knew a few guys that would have cookouts every game day and invite folks over to watch the game.

When I look at the TV I have, I feel like I am at the movies. 61" HD

Even when I lived in apts. I would invite a few friends over or have the option of just hanging out with a nice lady.

I am used to crowds and stuff. so that doesnt bother me. The alcohol is cheaper, the food is cheaper, the people are always people that I like shooting the **** with, I dont have to drive...just seems easier.

The main reason I started watching games in bars was because I was in college and we didn't have Direct TV, so because of the Panthers, I had to go to a local bar (RJ Gators) to watch the Skins games.

About 7 years ago when we built her house we got Direct TV, however, I was working retail and had to work on Sundays and the NFL ticket was a waste of money for me. Now, I enjoy 95% of the games on NFL ticket, in HD, on my big screen. I like the atmosphere of the bar setting and usually go out with one of my best friends (who is a Dallas fan) to watch at least one of the match-ups each year, it's kinda like a tradition.

Need anyone to help you drink beer out of the kegerator? :D

If a great sports bar is showing your team with volume on a good screen that atmosphere can be electric especially if you're into fantasy as well.

Being around other fans definitely enhances the game viewing experience for me.

However, I've found that few sports bars ever seem to have quality tv volume because people in the bars are always yelling to talk over the TV's audio.

You know the atmosphere of going to a game and slapping high fives with people sitting next to you when you don't even know them but the 'skins score... that happens at a bar too. It's fun. I don't watch every game at a bar, but probably more than half of them. Go out, meet a bunch of your friends, be in a wild atmosphere. Just make sure its a bar where lots of skins fans will be.

Also, it should be every man's dream to meet a girl at a bar who is a die hard skins fan.

Even though I'm not a skins fan, I think anyone can relate to this question. I generally tend to stay at home or go to a buddies house. I also have Sunday Ticket. If a great sports bar is showing your team with volume on a good screen that atmosphere can be electric especially if you're into fantasy as well. My fantasy league crew.. we always used to go to The Green Turtle in Laurel for atleast week one action.

I used to go to that Green Turtle all the time for drinks. Good spot.

My main fantasy league consists of guys that live in Chicago, DC, Houston, Charlotte, etc. I would have all of those guys come to the house though.

I have friends that root for opposing teams, and we joke and tease each other about it. They are welcome at my house anytime. Smart football guys/gals are always welcome. Although I am selective about who is invited. My wife hates when women act like they dont know football or dont at all. She would rather me invite just the boys sometimes, she doesnt want to try and play football ignorant with them, or blast them with football knowledge. I married a keeper.

If my friends come over that pull for other teams, I usually will set-up another small TV, with a separate satellite receiver, in the corner of the room. I tell them to decide what game they want to watch, but the volume has to be down because the Redskins game goes on the big screen and has the volume cranked up.

I lucked up to, my wife is a huge Skins fan. She has learned alot about the game.

The main reason I started watching games in bars was because I was in college and we didn't have Direct TV, so because of the Panthers, I had to go to a local bar (RJ Gators) to watch the Skins games.

Need anyone to help you drink beer out of the kegerator? :D

Gators across from the Home Depot ? Or is it Lowes ?

And sometimes I do need a little help with the kegerator. :cheers:

By watching the game in bars, you combine your tail-gate partying and screaming fan atmosphere into one package. Also, you don't have to worry about cooking anything -- just shell out some money and --presto-- it's there! Also, if you were at home and someone spills salsa on the carpet, beer on the couch, etc, that would be a major hassle. However, at a bar, they are used to it, and customers don't have to worry about coping with any of that.

From the guy's viewpoint, I've always noticed that the gals who are watching a game at a bar tend to be football fans. At least, they tend to get friendlier as the game goes on. (As compared to your wife/significant other, who probably has had enough of you and your buddies whooping it up and trashing the TV room.) Most of all, should you or your buddies get the urge to ogle some good-looking lady, wouldn't you rather have that kind of behavior happening outside of your home?

Don't get me wrong - I like watching games at home. But watching games at bars is a scene, as well as convenient, and lots of fun. (FYI, I always walk Metro or walk back afterwards).

Still, watching a game at Tastes Like Chicken's TV room seems like it would be a blast! It really shows how well you can do, if you decide to skip the bar-scene.

Gators across from the Home Depot ? Or is it Lowes ?

And sometimes I do need a little help with the kegerator. :cheers:

The one over by Home Depot and Circuit City. The Lowes is actually on the other side of the road back behind Target. That has been our watering hole since college (although I don't go there as much anymore). I know most of the managers/servers there since we went for about 10-11 years now.

It was less than a mile away when I was in college because I used to live in the crappy brown apartments on Univ. City Blvd right across from the UNCC tennis courts. Those were known as Chateau Ghetto...There was a reason rent was only $525 a month.

By watching the game in bars, you combine your tail-gate partying and screaming fan atmosphere into one package. Also, you don't have to worry about cooking anything -- just shell out some money and --presto-- it's there! Also, if you were at home and someone spills salsa on the carpet, beer on the couch, etc, that would be a major hassle. However, at a bar, they are used to it, and customers don't have to worry about coping with any of that.

At our house, we care less about people yelling and carrying on. Alot of my friends are rowdy (especially when we get together). My wife prefers to watch the games at home because she doesn't have to deal with drunk opposing fans at a bar.

Cooking is easy, I am the chicken wing king with my electric deep fryer or grill. My homemade hotdog chili is a force to be reckoned with too. :cool:

From the guy's viewpoint, I've always noticed that the gals who are watching a game at a bar tend to be football fans. At least, they tend to get friendlier as the game goes on. (As compared to your wife/significant other, who probably has had enough of you and your buddies whooping it up and trashing the TV room.) Most of all, should you or your buddies get the urge to ogle some good-looking lady, wouldn't you rather have that kind of behavior happening outside of your home?

Don't get me wrong - I like watching games at home. But watching games at bars is a scene, as well as convenient, and lots of fun. (FYI, I always walk Metro or walk back afterwards).

Still, watching a game at Tastes Like Chicken's TV room seems like it would be a blast! It really shows how well you can do, if you decide to skip the bar-scene.

Thats why I only invite certain people. People that I have been out with before, and people who arent going to toss their lunch in my living room. My wife would be pissed if something like that happened. But only if they ignored it and didnt try to clean it or offer to pay for cleaning.

My buddies and I go out for different occasions, so the wife doesnt mind that stuff. Like I said she is a keeper. And she knows I am a flirt and that I dont mind pointing out hot ladies. I have a good mix of friends that are single or either in a serious relationship/married. So the guys in relationships are always trying to hook up the single guy with one of the ladies. Wingmen at its best.

Trust me, I am not judging you (or anyone else for that matter), based on their mode of transportation to and from. Thats your own business and responsibility.

At our house, we care less about people yelling and carrying on. Alot of my friends are rowdy (especially when we get together). My wife prefers to watch the games at home because she doesn't have to deal with drunk opposing fans at a bar.

Cooking is easy, I am the chicken wing king with my electric deep fryer or grill. My homemade hotdog chili is a force to be reckoned with too. :cool:

The drunk people at the bar, who cant take a good ribbing are the worst. I totally agree with that.

And you said something about wings, and fryer...MMMM... :D

Bars offer a few things that you can't really get at home.

Buffalo wings served by any one of 20 different cute 20 year old girls running around in shorts....

Several large screen tv's showing all of the games at the same time--this is huge if you gamble, and have bets going on several games during the day.

The drunk people at the bar, who cant take a good ribbing are the worst. I totally agree with that.

And you said something about wings, and fryer...MMMM... :D

You know it! Usually, we fry up chicken wings for the games and we have gotten the right measurements for hot honey BBQ wings or we straight Texas Pete them and make hot wings.

Sometimes I will pick up a couple of organic whole chickens (around 5 lbs each) at Lowes and toss them in my smoker for about 4 - 5 hours and make BBQ on game day. It requires me to get up early though to make sure we have enough time for cooking and shredding the chicken.

I'm not a Skins fan, but I got to local bars because overhanging tree coverage prevents me from getting a signal for Direct TV where I live at now. The only other reason is that you can go to a local bar, be waited on and then pay and leave. Sort of beats having to cook the food and then do the clean up. Also, you can meet some new people. Some of my best friends now are people that I met watching football at a sports bar and they were fans of completely different teams.

YAKUZA

Bars offer a few things that you can't really get at home.

Buffalo wings served by any one of 20 different cute 20 year old girls running around in shorts....

Several large screen tv's showing all of the games at the same time--this is huge if you gamble, and have bets going on several games during the day.

I will agree with you about the eye candy at the bar.

I'm not a Skins fan, but I got to local bars because overhanging tree coverage prevents me from getting a signal for Direct TV where I live at now. The only other reason is that you can go to a local bar, be waited on and then pay and leave. Sort of beats having to cook the food and then do the clean up. Also, you can meet some new people. Some of my best friends now are people that I met watching football at a sports bar and they were fans of completely different teams.

YAKUZA

Nothing wrong with that. I like it when I am surrounded by Skins fans, but not Panther fans, because some of them annoy the crap out of me. Cooking is easy, but even I get lazy and we get carry-out from Quaker Steak and Lube (huge bucket of wings) on some game days.

Archived