Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Sued for Sexual Harrassment

afparent

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djf500/200706281738DOWJONESDJONLINE001079_FORTUNE5.htm

NEW YORK -(Dow Jones)- A Bronx, N.Y., make-up artist filed a sexual-harassment lawsuit on Thursday against Walt Disney Co.'s (DIS) ESPN Inc., a Washington, D.C., production company and several members of ESPN2's cancelled "Cold Pizza" morning television program.

In a lawsuit filed in federal court in Manhattan, Rita Ragone alleged the " sexually charged atmosphere" on the "Cold Pizza" set in Manhattan created a hostile work environment and that she was sexually harassed by Jay Crawford, one of the hosts of "Cold Pizza," and Woody Paige, one of the show's frequent panelists.

Ragone alleged she frequently complained about their behavior, but was told by an ESPN production executive that Paige and Crawford were "untouchable" and told to "keep quiet" by the general manager for Atlantic Video, a Washington production company that produces the show for ESPN.

"The sexual harassment Ms. Ragone endured during almost her entire length of employment with Atlantic Video for ESPN Cold Pizza was pervasive and open," the lawsuit said. "ESPN supervisors and other ESPN Cold Pizza talent repeatedly witnessed the sexual harassment and condoned the repulsive behavior of defendants Paige and Crawford."

The final episode of "Cold Pizza" aired in May, the lawsuit said.

Ragone, who worked as a make-up artist for Atlantic Video from February 2005 to April 2006, claims it was apparent Paige and Crawford had engaged in similar sexual harassment towards other female employees, but the behavior "was not only ignored, but considered humorous by Atlantic Video and ESPN management."

According to the lawsuit, Ragone alleged that she endured harassing behavior on a daily basis, including vulgar and obscene sexual proposals, Paige grabbing her buttocks several times despite her objections and Crawford, on one occasion, forcing her into the corner of a room and telling her "he wanted her."

The lawsuit said Ragone contemplated leaving on several occasions due to the harassment, but she was dependent on the steady income from her job to care for her mother, who suffers from severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, chronic bronchitis and other health problems.

She was eventually terminated by Atlantic Video in April 2006, according to the lawsuit.

"This suit is without merit and we deny the allegations," said Mike Soltys, an ESPN spokesman.

In a separate statement, Ed Milligan, president of Atlantic Video, said, "This lawsuit is without merit, and we deny the allegations. This matter will be vigorously defended."

-By Chad Bray, Dow Jones Newswires; 212-227-2017; chad.bray@dowjones.com

well, It's really not surprising if true. You kinda have to assume stuff like this will happen if you work for ESPN. However, I hope it is true cause I truly hate ESPN and would like some part of it to suffer at least.

If she went to management, and management essentially told her to shut up, then they deserve to be sued. Imagine if it was your mother, sister, wife, etc.....

no offense, but i'm hoping my mother, sister or wife would let me know and I would personally beat the crap out of Woody Page, heck they probably could beat the crap out of Woody Page themselves. :handicap:

Agreed 100%, but why wait until after the show is cancelled? Why would she continue to subject herself to something that was bothering her so much?

Fear maybe? Some people have really bad financial situations and they are afraid that they'll lose their jobs. Once that fear was removed it could have triggered her to take action. Then again they may have been another catalyst, perhaps the way in which she was let go was viewed by her as the "last straw". There could be any number of reasons. We also don't know when she got a lawyer and how long they've been building their case.

Or... it could all be BS.

Archived