Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Andre Carter - Building Momentum

luvsmesumme

http://www.nflplayers.com/news/news_release.aspx?id=6924

By the time the Washington Redskins' 2006 season had come to a close, defensive end Andre Carter had just gotten comfortable with his surroundings.

Early in the season, Carter, who signed a six-year, $30 million contract with the Redskins in March 2006, was slow to make a big impact as the highly-touted starter at right defensive end.

"The experience itself was all about progression," Carter said of his first year in a Redskins uniform.

On top of getting reacquainted with the defensive end position—a result of being converted to outside linebacker in a 3-4 defensive scheme with the San Francisco 49ers—Carter was caught up in learning a new and intricate defensive scheme in Washington. He became so infatuated with following the strict details of the defense run by Gregg Williams, the Redskins' assistant head coach for defense, he was unable to fully utilize his invaluable instincts—that is until Williams relented.

"In that second half of the season he (Williams) decided, 'Okay look, we're going to let you guys loose,'" stated Carter, who posted a sack in four of the team's final five games of the season, bringing his total to six sacks on the year. "And from then on it was full swing. It was what it was, but at least it let us know we could rush the passer."

Not only did Carter see improvement in his pass rushing during the Redskins' final five games, but he also came on strong with his tackling. He posted 33 tackles in that same time span and finished with a career-high 56 tackles by season's end.

After five seasons with the 49ers, including a 12.5-sack season in 2002 while playing his preferred defensive end position with the club, it certainly wasn't a surprise to see Carter perform like an elite playmaker in Washington. In fact, that's exactly what he signed up to do when he chose to play for the Redskins.

"I know I'm expected to be that guy," Carter said when asked about the pressure he faces to reach double-digit sacks each season. "But like I tell everybody else, I'm here for one purpose and one purpose only. I would be happy with eight sacks or six sacks, but don't get me wrong, I have a high expectation and I am a goal setter to that degree, but of course everyone has that standard of reaching double-digit sacks, that's my goal. But you know what, I would take a winning season and going to the playoffs more than anything, even sacks."

Heading into this season, Carter is anxious to get things going. "My comfort level is great," he noted recently. "I have studied my film from last year, observed the good things, bad things and things I want to work on and develop. It's just a high level of progression that I will carry on into next season."

I would take a winning season and going to the playoffs more than anything, even sacks.

-- Andre Carter

In addition, Carter and his defensive line mates appear to have the confidence of the Redskins' brass. Due to the defense's last-place ranking in the NFL last year in sacks with only 19, many predicted the Redskins would try to upgrade the defensive line during the offseason via free agency or in the draft. But instead, the 'Skins elected to stand pat and chose not to make any significant changes.

"I think one thing they looked at from last year is the level of chemistry that we have together," Carter said in response to why the Redskins didn't make any moves along the defensive line. "We tip our hats to the coaches, Dan Snyder (owner), (head coach Joe) Gibbs, and we know that the game rests on our shoulders. We are going to work hard and do whatever it takes."

With the Redskins fast approaching training camp, Carter is again showing signs of his progression on the field as indicated by Williams' statement following the second day of a recent three-day mini-camp: "Carter might be there right along with Rocky (McIntosh), who has had such a flash on the defensive side of the ball. We felt we needed to tweak a few things so that we could give our guys the opportunity to make plays. We have to put the pads on and see if those guys can get to the quarterback like we think they can. We really believe in our guys."

At only 28 years old, there's no doubt the 6-foot-4, 265-pound Carter has the physical tools to continue developing in Washington. And although there won't be many new faces along the defensive line helping him out, Carter should benefit from the return of a healthy Marcus Washington at outside linebacker and a few new additions lining up behind him, including stalwart middle linebacker London Fletcher and cornerback Fred Smoot.

"The defense looks good," Carter said. "Everyday we work harder and we enjoy this game. Every week there is something to work on, every week there is something to nit pick, but that is just a part of football. You have to grow in order to become the best."

I want to see Carter and Golston rip it up this season, right out of the gates. I cant wait for the season. The main theme of this offseason has been stability, a trait that the coaches and FO have learned this offseason and have demonstrated with not making any big changes to the line. You cant have a free agent revovling door every season, and this is a season where the team looks out for their own. Lets hope this trend continues into an extension for Cooley, and Taylor next season.

I'm also hoping that Demetric Evans comes out with guns blazing in preseason and takes that other end spot. He's been a good player but hasn't been in all the time. Perhaps with a chance to take the other DE spot and some consistency, he'll shine.

I'm hoping anyway...

Based on his play during that second half of the season last year and the things in this article, I'm really looking forward to seeing A.C. out there again.

We seem to be the select few that actually noticed his improvement during the last half of the season. If only we got a stand out DE in the draft this year, Carter would be heading to Honolulu in 2008. I still contend he'll be selected as an alternate.

http://www.nflplayers.com/news/news_release.aspx?id=6924"I think one thing they looked at from last year is the level of chemistry that we have together," Carter said in response to why the Redskins didn't make any moves along the defensive line. "We tip our hats to the coaches, Dan Snyder (owner), (head coach Joe) Gibbs, and we know that the game rests on our shoulders. We are going to work hard and do whatever it takes."

Whether offensive line or defensive line ... its a "team" thing, not an individual thing. You can be an "individual" anywhere else - anyother position, but not on the line. Everytime you bring in a new person, the team has to regroup. We appear to have capable fellows on both lines, we need teams on both lines, not individuals.

"In that second half of the season he (Williams) decided, 'Okay look, we're going to let you guys loose,'" stated Carter, who posted a sack in four of the team's final five games of the season, bringing his total to six sacks on the year. "And from then on it was full swing. It was what it was, but at least it let us know we could rush the passer."

Sounds like what a lot of people around here were saying was the problem with GW last year.

I was one of the guys who bashed the Carter signing earlier last season. I was happy to be proved wrong during the last half of the season, and I hope the Carter we saw in the last half is the real Carter. I believe Carter will have double digit sacks this season.

I'm excited more about the changes GW is making. He's simplifying the defense so people can think less and make more plays. Plus, he's going to bring lots of heat. M. Washington could have a huge yr and will be a 2nd pass-rushing DE on 3rd downs. Last yr the D didn't swarm to the ball like before. Some was due to injuries, talent, etc. But, with the DB upgrades and London in the middle things look solid as long as we stay healthy on the DL.

my concern is that "letting the guys loose" will maybe create more sacks but a weaker run defense. I mean, we had a 4th and 10th ranked D when the guys werent let loose, so i am interested in seeing how it effects the rest of the D.

If he doesn't get 10+ sacks and perform better against the run, next season will be just as brutal as 06.:mad:

Im more worried about stopping the run than getting double digit sacks. Arent CB's, LB's and safeties the ones who are supposed to be getting the lions share of sacks in Williams system? Makes you wonder what we are going to see this season.

Im more worried about stopping the run than getting double digit sacks. Arent CB's, LB's and safeties the ones who are supposed to be getting the lions share of sacks in Williams system? Makes you wonder what we are going to see this season.

It's true that Williams calls alot of blitzes, but in 05 we blitzed less than 20 percent of the time. We won't always rely on blitzing to generate pressure. I don't think Daniels will make any sort of impact, and so I feel Carter will have to play good enough to compensate for Daniel's lack of production. 10+ sacks.

Archived