Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Andre Carter - Building Momentum

luvsmesumme

Hey I hope he keeps it up, keep the momentum going from the last part of the season. We are good on the 3 LB'ers and DB's. Line is the only concern to me. I see us becoming a top 10 defense again this season if the line can stop the run. :applause:

We seem to be the select few that actually noticed his improvement during the last half of the season. If only we got a stand out DE in the draft this year, Carter would be heading to Honolulu in 2008. I still contend he'll be selected as an alternate.

Stand out DE in the draft? The best DE was Carriker, he'll be a good pro but probably not worthy of the 6th selection. The Rams took him around the 11th/12th spot.

Landry will allow us to be more aggressive with our front 7. There have been posts on this board, some from myself, prior to the draft begging us to take Landry because of the play of Carter and the fact we have two young tackles to rotate with Griffin.

Last year we started Vernon Fox, Kenny Wright, and Mike Rumphf....and people wonder why every aspect of our defense sucked!

The whole team played much better at the end of the season after Williams was more aggressive in his play calling and they could understand Saunders' complicated offense. Carter was one example of this, once he gets the defense, he's good. The last time there was actual continuity in this team, they made the playoffs and can do so again this year.

The Redskins starting DL in 1991 beside pro bowler Charles Mann was Fred Stokes (Plan B free agent), Tim Johnson (trade for #4 with Steelers) and Eric Williams (traded for James Wilder with Lions).

At the beginning of camp the team really didn't know what to expect from the front four as BOTH tackles were new to the club that year and Stokes was an unproven player from the Rams who had seen time as a backup.

I am not predicting this team will go 14-2 and win the Super Bowl, but at the same time all the dire threads about the Redskins horrible DL might very well be proven off-base.

Griffin for 16 games healthy gives the Redskins an anchor. Carter being allowed to use his rush skills can duplicate the 11 sacks Charles Mann recorded in 1991. Daniels/Wynn and Evans can form an effective platoon at the other DE spot.

Are there more imposing front lines in the NFL? Yep.

And there were in 1991 as well.

But it was solid and had capable depth for an effective rotation.

Stand out DE in the draft? The best DE was Carriker, he'll be a good pro but probably not worthy of the 6th selection. The Rams took him around the 11th/12th spot.

Jamaal Anderson was the best available DE and he would've been perfect fit for us. Not a small, speedy RDE but a LDE who can get to the quarterback(had more sacks in the SEC than Gaines Adams did in the ACC). As much as I like the Landry pick, we will end up regretting passing up on Anderson.

Jamaal Anderson was the best available DE and he would've been perfect fit for us. Not a small, speedy RDE but a LDE who can get to the quarterback(had more sacks in the SEC than Gaines Adams did in the ACC). As much as I like the Landry pick, we will end up regretting passing up on Anderson.

totally disagree..

I too would have taken Anderson at #6 to start the process of infusing the DL with som needed youth at DE for 2007 and beyond. Anderson is big enough to defend the run and also be a factor as a rusher. It is rare today to find DEs that are capable two-way performers.

That said, I don't think the Redskins need to have the 1985 Bears front line to be able to make hay in a division in 2007 that does not have a dominant team.

we don't even need our 05 defense to win.. We can never have the balance of both. When we finally get a pretty offense, our defence freakin lacks. But when our offense looks like pee-wee players our defense looks like beasts. All we need is for our defense to be in position to make the plays that are GOING to come. nothing more nothing less.and we need our offense to be steady

Isn't irrationally hating players on your favorite team part of the joy of being a sports fan? Between Carter and Lloyd' date=' I am a happy man.

I mean, I spent most of my adult life wanting to throw a firecracker at Michael Westbrook.

Carter is just one of those football players that I wish to repeatedly kick in the shins.

(Also, Jason, in order for Carter to be over-rated, he would need to be rated).[/quote']

Not that this is necessarily a good thing, but ESPN scouts have Carter tied for 42nd in the DE category. If he has a good year this year that should improve quite a bit. My real point being... everyone's ranked ;)

I too would have taken Anderson at #6 to start the process of infusing the DL with som needed youth at DE for 2007 and beyond. Anderson is big enough to defend the run and also be a factor as a rusher. It is rare today to find DEs that are capable two-way performers.

That said, I don't think the Redskins need to have the 1985 Bears front line to be able to make hay in a division in 2007 that does not have a dominant team.

Landry was a very solid and safe pick, but I was hoping to get Anderson as well. Huge, quick, and was 1st in the SEC in sacks and 2nd in tackles for loss...and he still has nowhere to go but up. Either way, I guess we'll see how he does in ATL. Maybe we'll pull off some crazy deal to move up and get Calais Campbell next year (hopefully we won't be picking in the top 10 again...though if he has a good year Campbell could be top 5).

Archived