Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why Does All Media Think We Are Going To Be 6-10?

UltimateSkins

Before I make any predictions again I will wait for the pre-season. Every Skin's fan remembers the horrible one last year. Even I bought into the "they are holding back plays" excuse. And, that became the moto all year, "holding themselves back" from winning. This pre-season should be all out, I hope. Until then I refuse to make any predictions.

Defensively- Can we overcome our Dline? Of course. We have never had a great Dline under Williams but our secondary could lock people up and we could blitz. This year blitzing will be back and we will be much more athletic. We have the deepest secondary in football now. If Springs goes down this year we will be in much better condition with Rogers, Smoot, Macklin, and Butler. We can also look for a huge improvement in the safety realm. Our biggest acquisition was a Williams guy at MLB. I'm going out on a limb and say LFB will have over 100 tackles. Rocky will be a beast this year as well.

Without a doubt you have improved your secondary, and taking into account all of the injuries you sustained last year, this part of your defense should be vastly improved. The question I have on your defense is:

If your pressure on the qb is designed to come from your DB's and not the DL, what happens when the opposing offense routinely lines up in 4 or 5 receiver sets? Without pressure from the front 4 how do you get to the qb if your db's are all locked up man to man? If you blitz your linebackers in this scenario it leaves the middle of the field wide open to exploit. I understand the logic behind Williams’s scheme, but I don't understand how it can be effective with poor defensive line play. At some point you have to have your DL step up as well, don't you?

Jon

Without a doubt you have improved your secondary, and taking into account all of the injuries you sustained last year, this part of your defense should be vastly improved. The question I have on your defense is:

If your pressure on the qb is designed to come from your DB's and not the DL, what happens when the opposing offense routinely lines up in 4 or 5 receiver sets? Without pressure from the front 4 how do you get to the qb if your db's are all locked up man to man? If you blitz your linebackers in this scenario it leaves the middle of the field wide open to exploit. I understand the logic behind Williams’s scheme, but I don't understand how it can be effective with poor defensive line play. At some point you have to have your DL step up as well, don't you?

Jon

You may not have noticed, but Carter was coming on strong late in the year, Griffin was nicked up most of the year, and we have two young guys who could have break-out years this year.

Look for the Skins' defense to return to top ten status.

Before I make any predictions again I will wait for the pre-season. Every Skin's fan remembers the horrible one last year. Even I bought into the "they are holding back plays" excuse. And, that became the moto all year, "holding themselves back" from winning. This pre-season should be all out, I hope. Until then I refuse to make any predictions.
Holding back and displaying a vanilla offence is a signature of Joe Gibbs. This preseason will be as boring as any under him. Ever watch a Patriots preseason game? Just as boring every year.

You may not have noticed, but Carter was coming on strong late in the year, Griffin was nicked up most of the year, and we have two young guys who could have break-out years this year.

Look for the Skins' defense to return to top ten status.

Fair enough. I am not familiar enough with your roster to make an educated or intelligent analysis. I hope that your DLine is improved, I want to see the skins with a better defense and quite frankly a better team altogether. I agree that this team is loaded with talent, hopefully they can get that talent clicking this year. That way when we beat you, it will make the victory that much sweeter. :laugh:

Jon

It's not that we have poor line play, the emphisis isn't on the line to make the big plays on most downs. When it's a 3rd and lond type situation, the line can be cut loose too make the plays. It's one reason we have a guy like Griff at DT instead of a Sam Adams. Having Carter on the edge will make that side of the line hard to double team. If Daniels can return to form, he is good against the pass(although more of a run control guy) and a couple of others who can play too. I hope the Buzbee(sp) hype is up to par, that would put 2 pass rushers on the line in those situations.

If you have 5 wr's out there, we can run 3 down linemen and still have corners/safties/lb's who can run free, while still having protection deep.

Fair enough. I am not familiar enough with your roster to make an educated or intelligent analysis. I hope that your DLine is improved, I want to see the skins with a better defense and quite frankly a better team altogether. I agree that this team is loaded with talent, hopefully they can get that talent clicking this year. That way when we beat you, it will make the victory that much sweeter. :laugh:
Thats a great additude for a cowboys fan.(sort of).

Holding back and displaying a vanilla offence is a signature of Joe Gibbs. This preseason will be as boring as any under him. Ever watch a Patriots preseason game? Just as boring every year.

:nono: If we look anywhere near as bad, or god forbid even worse, than last preseason, I swear my 52" widescreen will not make it to the season opener. It just won't. :doh:

Carter is 28 I think the improvement is over you know what you are going to get from that guy and its 2-8 sacks a year and mayeb 40-50 tackles.

______________}++++++++++++++

"In that second half of the season he (Williams) decided, 'Okay look, we're going to let you guys loose,'" stated Carter, who posted a sack in four of the team's final five games of the season, bringing his total to six sacks on the year. "And from then on it was full swing. It was what it was, but at least it let us know we could rush the passer."

Gee where is mister drive by poster now?

:nono: If we look anywhere near as bad, or god forbid even worse, than last preseason, I swear my 52" widescreen will not make it to the season opener. It just won't. :doh:
Go watch some old preseaon games, come home and bubble wrap your TV, because we will.

Fair enough. I am not familiar enough with your roster to make an educated or intelligent analysis. I hope that your DLine is improved, I want to see the skins with a better defense and quite frankly a better team altogether. I agree that this team is loaded with talent, hopefully they can get that talent clicking this year. That way when we lose to you, we will have an excuse. :laugh:

There ya go.:dallasuck

Yeah right. I live in the same area as you, can I have it. I'll give you two regular TVs.

Hehe.. :laugh:

It may come in various shapes, sizes and pieces. That acceptable? :D

Seriously though. I cannot bear another "It's only preseason, no worries" junk again.

that is why you do what I did. I got a 110" DLP projector so if the skins F up I can throw crap at the wall and if something goes through it I can just patch it.:laugh:

We sucked last season

A QB who started 7 games in his whole career

No change on the d-line

Returning a RB who was injured last year

Well I do believe we will finish way better than 5-11

J.C. will be a lot better than those 7 starts. He was thrown into the fire after Gibbs lost total confidence in Burnell. I would of started him after the Titan loss.

D-Line I think will play a lot better. I like the young DT's, and we may pick up one who will be on the cut list after training camp. Hopefully Griffin can stay healthy and Carter can have a productive seaon on the end.

It was a bad break for Clinton during that pre-season game against the Bengals, but I think he'll be back to '05 season form and be back to an elete tailback. I have faith we'll finish above .500. Just my :2cents:

Anyone that critcizes the Redskins for not going after need in the DL/OL/TE this offseason and for not having any draft picks and drafting decision making is right. We deserve it. The JG2 era is nothing like the JG1 and JG proves time and again that he is more dedicated to his race team than his football team when he jets off to meet with Dale Jr. at a moments notice

Anyone that critcizes the Redskins for not going after need in the DL/OL/TE this offseason and for not having any draft picks and drafting decision making is right. We deserve it. The JG2 era is nothing like the JG1 and JG proves time and again that he is more dedicated to his race team than his football team when he jets off to meet with Dale Jr. at a moments notice

So does he jet off at half time? Or is it between quarters. Please tell me when Gibbs has abandoned his duties and neglected the Skins?

Who gives a sh*t what the media thinks. 90 % of them are a bunch of little worms that couldnt carry even the kickers jock. The skins will do better than last year but it all depends on team health, whether the offense will gel, and if the defense shows up week in and week out.

that is why you do what I did. I got a 110" DLP projector so if the skins F up I can throw crap at the wall and if something goes through it I can just patch it.:laugh:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It must make for some interesting viewing late in the season. With the change in drywall texture and the snow on the field it may take some tivo'n to see what actually had happened on third and long. :laugh: :laugh:

Am I just sipping the koolaid or is predicting the Skins to go 10-6 next season actually reasonable? Everyone in the media thinks next season is going to be a train wreck for the skins, yet I see the offense really coming together and the defense being at the very least serviceable.

I'm normally a pesimist, but I think 10-6 is well within reach.

The D-line was auguablely the worst part of the team, and it was not addressed. And part of the problem with the D-Line was age, and they are all a year older.

That's the main reason why. The offence looked good at the end of the season, and the defence couldnt stop anyone. And that's why we probably wont have a good year again this year.

The media hates Dan Snyder

:)

Most of the obvious reason have been given, my personal feelings are the media on the whole is a very closed minded group, that just follow the same opinions as the rest of their peers. "it's safe" to stick with the generic opinion.

The Skins have been a bad team for several years, so they will continue to be bad in the mind of most "experts" And most don't have enough real understanding of the game, to really think for themselves, or make bold predictions.

Archived