Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why Does All Media Think We Are Going To Be 6-10?

UltimateSkins

ive said it before and ill say it again: the media will wake up to the skins by about week seven when campbell is torching people, portis and betts and ripping defenses apart, the lbackers are vastly improved w/ rocky starting and london bringing veteran smarts; the secondary is lethal w/ Area 51 and healthy corners and depth and andre carter is continuing his monster play from late last year.

i say late 'em hate. more crow to eat later

You know I have read something similar in another thread before and it is all the same. Look at the analysts that are out there and who they played for. Ron Jaworski played for the Eagles but never won a Super Bowl. So how does he know anything about QB's or winning? Just because you play it doesn't mean you know what your talking about.

Look at Sean Salisbury, he played for several teams including the Minnesota Vikings. When did he win a Super Bowl or when did the Vikings ever win a SUper Bowl? He hasn't and the Vikings never have. SO he is in the same category as Jaworski.

Look at Tom Jackson, what Super Bowl did he play in and won? He never was on a winning Super Bowl team. Another just because you played the game doesn't mean you are an expert. Look at Mike Golic, when was he even considered a great player or apart of a winning team or organization or even apart of a Super Bowl Champion? None of the above. So what makes him an expert? Because he played the game? Not.

Peter King, John Clayton, Joe Buck, Mike Greenway, and these other writers and sports anchors who never played the game, what makes them an authority on the subject of which team has the most talent, the best coach, or who is going to win the Super Bowl for that matter. It is easy to look at the disaster of a team that had a losing record and say" They didn't make any significant upgrades and they will have a losing record this year." Is that an expert? No that is a person just following the pack.

So if all of these so-called experts are so good then how does a team, who went 14-2 with a coach that hasn't won the big one, fire him, then hire a coach that has a losing record, become a Super Bowl contender with no drop-off. Or how does a team that, every year has only been to the playoffs twice but never won a playoff game, lose their coach because of retirement, get another coach, also with a losing record as a head coach, and they are Super Bowl Contenders?

These are predictions that they so-called expert have been making. Just because you have talent doesn't mean that you are going to win. Just because you have talent and the coach you hired has a losing record as a head coach doesn't mean they can coach the talented team. They also don't take in account if they lose this player or that player that it would result in a different win-lose record. Educated guess is what is called. So I take their predictions and their bashings of the Redskins as a lack of investigation and a lack of knowledge.

Paloosa very good post, it boggles my mind that these men are paid to make uneducated statements about teams they know little to nothing about. They never take into account benefits that you can't find on paper; such as a team getting more experience to gel with one another, rather they look at free agency and the draft and determine from that and the previous years stats how a team will fair in the following season. Its just pure ignorance.

You know I have read something similar in another thread before and it is all the same. Look at the analysts that are out there and who they played for. Ron Jaworski played for the Eagles but never won a Super Bowl. So how does he know anything about QB's or winning? Just because you play it doesn't mean you know what your talking about.

Look at Sean Salisbury, he played for several teams including the Minnesota Vikings. When did he win a Super Bowl or when did the Vikings ever win a SUper Bowl? He hasn't and the Vikings never have. SO he is in the same category as Jaworski.

Look at Tom Jackson, what Super Bowl did he play in and won? He never was on a winning Super Bowl team. Another just because you played the game doesn't mean you are an expert. Look at Mike Golic, when was he even considered a great player or apart of a winning team or organization or even apart of a Super Bowl Champion? None of the above. So what makes him an expert? Because he played the game? Not.

You trip up your own argument, though...because who says just because you played in a Super Bowl it means you know more about football than a player who hasn't?

Peter King, John Clayton, Joe Buck, Mike Greenway, and these other writers and sports anchors who never played the game, what makes them an authority on the subject of which team has the most talent, the best coach, or who is going to win the Super Bowl for that matter.

They're no different than us, besides having inside contacts on certain teams lol...However, none of us know nearly enough about football to think we can voice our opinions on which team has the most talent, the best coach, who is going to the Super Bowl, etc, etc...but it sure as hell doesn't stop us from acting like we do lol :laugh:

The ONLY thing that bugs me about the sports media guys is that they get paid to do what each of us does for free...and they do a worse job of it than most of us do.

I read somewhere that no matter what a team does in the offseason, the average number of wins for a team that does better than it did the previous season is 2 games.

If you only include teams that were 5-11 or worse, the average number of wins for a team that does better goes up to a 4-5 game improvement (at least that's the average over the last several years).

The thought process on planning/managing, of course, goes in the direction of what one is capable of doing. The lack of depth on the defensive line, the inability to secure evolutionary improvement due to salary cap restrictions, leads in one direction. Depth in the linebacker corps and furthering depth in the secondary. I'm excited to see what Laron Landry will bring to the table. Judging by what I saw in the team last year, Greg Williams did not have much confidence in blitzing, as he had in the past. Laron Landry may help in this. The defensive talent changed, and coaches chose to affix players into holding their positions and react based on what transpires once the ball is snapped. Things happen so fast that mistakes in judgement prevailed.

The defense looks smarter this year. There are players who function better when turned loose to create havoc. It is my notion that Coach Williams may choose to do this, instead of "affixing" the players to a role. Improvement with Linebackers and the Secondary, hopefully, release the defensive line to do what it obviously had difficulty doing the past seasons: applying a pressure on the quarterback. The inability to attack the quarterback through the defensive line alone means subterfuge is required for other positions to achieve success at getting to the quarterback. It takes time for players to grasp this concept, with understanding of the playbook. Hopefully, we'll see the gel effect in this sooner than later.

Jason Campbell will be exciting to watch this season. He is working hard at grasping every nuance of every play in Al Saunders difficult offensive coordination. Jason's only real challenge is what to do when the offensive line breaks down. He must be able to avoid being touched while judging and seeking out the open player. So....watchout for Cooley. His numbers can only go up further. Ladell Betts is our Priest Holmes. Even Al Saunders got excited after seeing him play last year. And, why shouldn't Coach Saunders get excited. His play book just opened wider. Beyond that, the Special Teams must do the things they need to do. Advantagious field position. Above all else this is what will give us the edge. This, and favorable turnovers, will give us a chance. These two usually ignored strategies of the game is in our control.

Guest Rafterman

By the same token then, should'nt his Nascar team suck because of the time spent with the Redskins?

:laugh:

Not really, if his NASCAR team is his main business.

It's quite simple.

We were 5-11 last year.

We have, presumably, improved over the offseason.

6-10 would technically show said improvement.

Mathematically, it's quite logical. However, you would have to ignore the player/coach experience (or lack thereof) and the injuries we suffered through last year, not to mention the fact that our roster has been shuffled quite a bit, but not to the extent that it usually is during the warmer months each year.

If you include the above into the equation, 7-9 or 8-8 would be pessimistic, IMO.

In a nutshell, we lacked consistency in general and Defense in particular. Not having Cornelius Griffin and Shawn Springs healthy hurt us, a lot. It exposed severe weaknesses that other teams were able to exploit - despite our relatively solid running game. Now, with good preparation and some luck you get some consistency - actually improve our running and passing game.... That will help us in field position and help our defense - a defense that should be measurably better. I frankly don't see any other team in the NFC East that had the depth of critical injuries that we had, the turmoil at quarterback....hmmm maybe Philly... but honestly, I think Garcia was playing more consistently than McNabb... You look at our schedule - our mix of veterans and young guys - coaching staff...Again... with some luck, meaning no catastrophic injuries - the Skins are looking at 10-6 or better.

Not really, if his NASCAR team is his main business.

And what evidence has anyone seen that he favors his NASCAR team over the Redskins or spends more time on the racing business. You might not want to admit it, but I shot a hole in your theory with a cannon.

I see us as no better than 7-9....we have holes on the DL...the LB's CB's, OL and an unproven QB. I'm not being pessimistic, just looking at reality. I love our RB situation, but the OL has alot to prove to me and Saunders system doesn't seem to be playing to our teams strengths. I have hopes for JC, but thats what they are...hopes. This wont be popular, but I think the NFL has exposed GW's defense for what it is...we need to stop drafting big hitters and go after guys that can pressure the QB. Yeah, we had injuries last year, but every team does and we need to stop making excuses and have a backup plan. Philly lost their starting QB and won the division...why?...because they had a backup plan. I am not a fan of GW'sdefensive scheme, as I think it places to much pressure on the secondary to be dominant. There are too many good receivers in our division, which will force alot of doubling....consequently, we wont be able to blitz as much and our DL will be left to do the job of getting to the QB...I dont think our DL is gonna get enough pressure with the guys we have, why should I?...they only got 19 sacks last year...dude, that is horrible and we did NOTHING to address this problem.

We need to replace VC in the GM role, we need to fire GW, and usher in a new head coach....if Gibbs doesn't win it this year, do you really think he's going to stick around? Why should he? He has nothing to prove anymore....he's in the hall of fame. Lets start drafting better(which requires a competent GM), and putting our defense in position to make plays(which requires a solid scheme and DC). I'm sick of the media and Cowboys fans picking us to be bad, mostly because I fear that they are right!

Archived