Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why Does All Media Think We Are Going To Be 6-10?

UltimateSkins

I think that 6-10 - 8-8 will be the average expert predictions for us and I think they're all fair and all arguable.

However I think you should also notice that many of them have and will continue to mention us as dark horses because we do have the talent and coaching to be much better but no experts are going to give us the credit to be better and with good reason.

Personally I think 9-7 is +/- 3 sounds fair.

We have the talent to go 12-4 if everyone plays as they can and of course everyone stays healthy.

However based on the last couple seasons I could also see us at 6-10 especially if injuries take over.

I tend to agree with your assessment but one area the Skins are in good shape is depth at the skill positions. Yes the lines have been neglected but I think the Skins should be able to weather the storm if the injury bug hits the D-backfield, LBs, or the RBs, or even QB. The team is thin, however, on the lines (Off. and Def.), WR and TE.

:2cents:

I could see us not winning a game next season and I can see us winning every game next season....both are very probable. We have not upgraded our OL or DL,

More probable would be something in between. And our lines are upgraded, we have better depth on OL and the DL is healthy again. With the development of two young tackles we are erasing the poor drafting of the past, of course assuming they are taking that next step. I tend to think the coaches know more than the fans and there is a reason they like the line the way it is. If they thought they could really improve it with a move they would have. Even if that meant trading away more picks from next year.

I think the more important question is 'who cares?' Seriously...everyone has an opinion, and there's are no more valid than yours or mine. Just because they predict 6-10 doesn't make them right or wrong, just like predicting 10-6 doesn't make you right or wrong. It's just a freakin' guess. I'm still going with 7 or 8 wins. And that is MY guess.

Yep, you're sipping the Kool-Aid. This is a sub-.500 team. The defense is simply not ready.

BS. The corners are here now to implement the system that Williams uses. The line is healthy again. No more Holdman, but a London Fletcher that can close the gaps. Plain as Day, this D is ready and has a chip. It won't be perfect, but much improved over last year and that is all the team needs to reverse it's close losses.

The team is thin, however, on the lines (Off. and Def.), WR and TE.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++============

Ross Tucker, Todd Wade and Wil Wittaker are more than exceptable back-ups on OL compared to just about any other team.

With Griff, Daniels healthy, a continued improvement from Carter, Wynn contributing and the development of Monty/Golston the DL is more than fine. And remember the quotes about Washington, he will be rushing the edge most likely this year.

I really don't think any of us knows for sure what the team will look like, and obviously neither does the media. But stop bashing your own team until you see them on the field.

With improved play at the QB position alone the team will be so much better off. Considering MB could not throw past 15 yards with accuracy, Campbell or even Bramlet could do that.

We lost SIX games by 6 points or less last year... you see that happening again this year? Odds are in the 'Skins favor. The year Carolina went to the SB, they won 8 of 8 by THREE points or less...never had that luck again. 6 Points is ONLY one more play by the 'Skins...either MAKING or STOPPING.

I like the enthusiasm but using your logic they were also 1 more play away from losing by 12.

The team is thin, however, on the lines (Off. and Def.), WR and TE.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++============

Ross Tucker, Todd Wade and Wil Wittaker are more than exceptable back-ups on OL compared to just about any other team.

With Griff, Daniels healthy, a continued improvement from Carter, Wynn contributing and the development of Monty/Golston the DL is more than fine. And remember the quotes about Washington, he will be rushing the edge most likely this year.

I really don't think any of us knows for sure what the team will look like, and obviously neither does the media. But stop bashing your own team until you see them on the field.

With improved play at the QB position alone the team will be so much better off. Considering MB could not throw past 15 yards with accuracy, Campbell or even Bramlet could do that.

Yeah Todd Wade is you starter not backup which means he better be more then an acceptable backup.

Carter is 28 I think the improvement is over you know what you are going to get from that guy and its 2-8 sacks a year and mayeb 40-50 tackles.

Also Brunell had a better winning percentage then Campbell last year so lets wait to see how he does before you say the QB position has improved

If true to form, the 'Skins offense will lead the league this year. In his last two stops (St. Louis and KC), Al Saunders' offenses led the league in the second year under his system... <FINGERS CROSSED>

Call me crazy, but it wasn't Saunders system in St. Louis, it was Martz's, which was actually a variation on Vermeil's. Guess who was the head coach in KC? You got it, Vermeil. Saunders has yet to do it without Vermeil.

Why is the sky blue?

the atmosphere trapping more of the reflection of the suns rays off the surface on the earth that are in the section of the ultraviolet spectrum with shorter wave lengths leaving a bluish hue.

:D

the reason the media hates the skins are because a few prominent journalist in sports broadcasting have felt slighted or otherwise disdain (real or imagined) by Daniel Synder and therefore take it out on the skins in their writing/broadcasting and most other in the business are retired/failed athletes who simply repeat what they have read or heard from people like Len fatsarelli or Dr Zzzzzzz.

from my biased opinion this year we will be 11-5!

Yeah been picking up the football magazines and notice that we are for the most part written off.

#1 reason I think is I notice that really every year even though playoff teams frequently fall the subsequent year and new teams arise -- the magzines web sites predict that last season and the new season will be basically the same.

Usually they will pick a team that just recently got their act together and made the playoffs to be the team to watch this coming season ala the Saints. And some teams always seem to be the up & coming team -- like the Cardnals

Teams that make a ton of off season moves are lauded -- Patriots, 49ers. All these moves are considered brilliant before it all plays out.

As to the Skins specifically, there seems to be an understandable bad feeling about the franchise based on our track record under Snyder. It's one of those situations where I think these guys say to themslves you've fooled us a bunch of times, we picked you but we won't this time, you'll have to surprise us.

I think the biggest surprise that the football magzines are in for is Jason Campbell can be as good or maybe better than guys they tout like Jay Cutler. And our defense might indeed be able to rebound. Perception seems to be our defense is down for the count, and Campbell has potential but won't be anything special this year. They might be right but my hunch is they are wrong, will see.

Yeah Todd Wade is you starter not backup which means he better be more then an acceptable backup.

Carter is 28 I think the improvement is over you know what you are going to get from that guy and its 2-8 sacks a year and mayeb 40-50 tackles.

Also Brunell had a better winning percentage then Campbell last year so lets wait to see how he does before you say the QB position has improved

dont forget jason fabrini at OT...he has played for years in the league and has a lot of starting experience...i dont think he is a top quality OT but he is a servicable backup

as for Andre Carter...his improvement is due to his comfotability in the scheme and in learning the new position. Improvememnt is not age dependant...last season as he grew into the DE spot his production increased....i also think you can count on him to be able to get more than 40-50 tackles since he got 72 tackels last year...also his production can increase just by increasing the production around him. if a healthy griff and golston are able to get a better push in the middle and blitzers/ M. Washington off the edge will give him not only single blocker also force qb's to move around in hi direction for him to sack. not to mention an extra second or two from an improved secondary.

and if you think that just because mark brunell won one extra game by 5 yard passing to ladell betts he is better than Jason Campbell than you should just stop posting and watch more football to learn more about the game.

Call me crazy, but it wasn't Saunders system in St. Louis, it was Martz's, which was actually a variation on Vermeil's. Guess who was the head coach in KC? You got it, Vermeil. Saunders has yet to do it without Vermeil.

in st louis and in KC saunders was the offensive co-ordinator....not Martz he was the QB's coach in St louis and never won the big one without al saunders

As to the Skins specifically, there seems to be an understandable bad feeling about the franchise based on our track record under Snyder. It's one of those situations where I think these guys say to themslves you've fooled us a bunch of times, we picked you but we won't this time, you'll have to surprise us.

That's what I've been saying and noticing.

Any writer that says we're going to be great would be going on nothing but a hunch. Most however seem to agree that we COULD be good this year and if it happens it won't be some collosal surprise but they're going to wait to see it before believing it'll happen.

Serious put up or shut up time for us basically.

THey think that our defense is all about our defensive line. They dont realize G. Williams defense is a team defense we had no Linebackers or Cornerbacks last year. You cant play man to man if you cant stick anyone. You cant blitz from any position if you dont have playmakers. We will have a top 5 defense meaning we will win games. The defense was the glue of the team for 2 years last year we had no defense we have some players our back 7 can easily be the best in the league.

We couldnt stop the run or pass. We have a nice MLB that will put his nose in there they wont be able to run and we will be gang tackling once again. Plus 2 hard hitting safeties. We have 2 RB's and a QB that can actually throw deep again. I am not worried Joe Gibbs is going to show them why he made the HOF.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Todd Wade is a back-up and former starting tackle, I think he will be fine starting at guard, but we will see. Either he or Wittaker are an improvement over Dockery who was over-rated and now over payed.

Carter was improving last year and considering the patch work of the line at the end there he could be much improved just with better supporting cast members.

Yeah Brunell had a better winning percentage, so what, I will take Campbell who is much more talented and now has some needed experience any day of the week. Campbell btw had 7 games in a row that he tossed TD's in, sounds like an upside to me, Brunell has no upside at this point, so yeah the QB position is improved. Add to the fact having Santana Moss and Clinton Portis on the field a the same time will open your eyes to Campbells skills immediately. Brunell had that luxury, now Campbell will.

---------you can join the media and slam the Skins that is your choice, but people who actually know the Redskins see much improvement this year.

in st louis and in KC saunders was the offensive co-ordinator....not Martz he was the QB's coach in St louis and never won the big one without al saunders

From Wikipedia...

"In 1999, Martz was hired as the offensive coordinator of the St. Louis Rams, who went on to win Super Bowl XXXIV that season."

Again, from Wikipedia...

"From 1989-1998, Saunders was with the Kansas City Chiefs, where he served as the Assistant Head Coach and Wide Receivers Coach under Marty Schottenheimer.

Saunders would then join the St. Louis Rams coaching staff. From 1999-2000 he served as the Wide Receivers Coach under Dick Vermeil and later as Assistant Head Coach under Mike Martz. During this period, the Rams won Super Bowl XXXIV in 2000.

Saunders would rejoin the Kansas City Chiefs in 2001 as the Offensive Coordinator when Vermeil came out of retirement. In his second stint with the Chiefs, Saunders built the NFL's top offense, which was ranked #1 in the NFL from 2002-2005."

The media believes we haven't done much to improve and don't really understand our defensive system here. They underestimate the improvements individually and team wise. They also underestimate the injuries we had last year.

Offensively- Campbell has worked extremely hard in the offseason and has impressed. Historically, Campbell is a very accurate QB but not last year. He is in the second season of a very explosive offensive scheme. Portis is coming back from two injuries. Moss has hamstring issues. What they are really overlooking is Lloyd. He appears to have changed and maybe grew up a little this off season. He put on 15 pounds of muscle and that says a lot about intentions. We did lose Dock and we have to see if Wade and Whittacker can step in.

Defensively- Can we overcome our Dline? Of course. We have never had a great Dline under Williams but our secondary could lock people up and we could blitz. This year blitzing will be back and we will be much more athletic. We have the deepest secondary in football now. If Springs goes down this year we will be in much better condition with Rogers, Smoot, Macklin, and Butler. We can also look for a huge improvement in the safety realm. Our biggest acquisition was a Williams guy at MLB. I'm going out on a limb and say LFB will have over 100 tackles. Rocky will be a beast this year as well.

dont forget jason fabrini at OT...he has played for years in the league and has a lot of starting experience...i dont think he is a top quality OT but he is a servicable backup

as for Andre Carter...his improvement is due to his comfotability in the scheme and in learning the new position. Improvememnt is not age dependant...last season as he grew into the DE spot his production increased....i also think you can count on him to be able to get more than 40-50 tackles since he got 72 tackels last year...also his production can increase just by increasing the production around him. if a healthy griff and golston are able to get a better push in the middle and blitzers/ M. Washington off the edge will give him not only single blocker also force qb's to move around in hi direction for him to sack. not to mention an extra second or two from an improved secondary.

and if you think that just because mark brunell won one extra game by 5 yard passing to ladell betts he is better than Jason Campbell than you should just stop posting and watch more football to learn more about the game.

Actually no he had 56 tackles

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=5454

You have to use a website that doesn't have skins in the title

We have a better team than people realize. The Redskins are a sleeper pick this year guys. Better get your bets in now while the odds are good. Once the season starts and people see the team, the odds makers will change their tune.

Why Does All Media Think We Are Going To Be 6-10?

For the same reason everyone thinks we are going to be 6-10 next year.

And as I remember, the last time this happened where everyone was down on the Giants and Skins, Giants took the division and we both wound up in the playoffs. So let em doubt.

I know you skins fans think we will suck this year, and im fine with that. As most Giants fans feel bad for Skins fans hoping to be above .500 this year.

Archived