Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Extra NFL game

BigRedAlbright

A few weeks ago there was alot of talk about the NFL adding one regular season game to their scheduale and I would totally be for this but if they did add a game, could we then shorten the preseason games by ONE or maybe even two? In the modern NFL athletes come prepared for the season and 4 preseason games is not needed anymore to get the players in shape. One game, to see the talent for the last few roaster spots, and one game for the 1st and second team to get ready. What u think? If you like the idea then thanks. If you hate the idea then I'm from dallas and love T.O.

Any chance of getting more "real" (read as "not preseason") football, is always a good thing. The only tricky thing about adding a new game (and this is just my own problem with the idea) is now players will have 17 games to break single season records.

does it really make a difference if they cancel 1 preseason game and add a regular season game ? 1 more chance to have a better record does not equate to a better record AND it will probably cement the dolphins perfect season as the only team to ever do it .... just a thought

Any chance of getting more "real" (read as "not preseason") football, is always a good thing. The only tricky thing about adding a new game (and this is just my own problem with the idea) is now players will have 17 games to break single season records.

The 16 game schedule hasn't been around that long so you aren't breaking an extremely long tradition. In the last 50 years they have gone from 12 to 14 to 16 games.

If I were a player, I don't want to see any extra games unless they cut the pre season short. I don't want to see any additional teams get into the paloffs. The longer the season is, the more wear and tear the players will suffer. If they shorten the Preseason games to 2 then MAYBE they players will go for it.

As a fan...Of course I want to see more football. Just play some games on thursdays earlier in the season that way we have Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and wed/thurs games

No way!

The 16 game season in a league of 32 teams was Rozelle's vision some 40 years ago. It all came to fruition w/ perfect harmony and balance in 2002, and I'm damn happy w/it like it is.

To add another game would totally throw the rotation out of whack.

I would hate the that idea. Right now 16 games works perfectly. On the other hand more and more people can not win their devision games and still make it to playoffs that way. And you can't make the extra game your devision rival game, it will be hard to decide who you get to play 3 times each year. Besides, 32 teams, 16 games, 4 teams each division... I am the only one seeing the system here?

I really don''t want to see any games over in Europe. I don't care if they send Manchester United here to play games in the U.S. or they send real madrid. It just doesn't matter to me. Just as I think it really doesn't matter to people in Europe about American Football. If they want to watch it, get Directv and deal with it that way. I hate to see our fans cheated out of a regular season game. It is the right thing to do in terms of getting rid of one preseason game, but in terms of putting it Europe. BOOOOO!

16 games is enough. I don't care about the records. There's enough wear and tear on players. Look how many guys turn down the pro bowl just to have offseason surgery after their season ends. Cut preseason games to 2 or 3 and keep it at 16 games.

16 games is enough. I don't care about the records. There's enough wear and tear on players. Look how many guys turn down the pro bowl just to have offseason surgery after their season ends. Cut preseason games to 2 or 3 and keep it at 16 games.

I agree

I'd be ok with 1 preseason game being played in Europe. they shouldn't mess with 32 teams and 16 games. it works brilliantly.

How would we be cheated any? We'd still have the 8 home and 8 away games, there'd just be an extra game overseas! We'd be getting an extra meaningful game; that's not cheating us!

I hate to see our fans cheated out of a regular season game. It is the right thing to do in terms of getting rid of one preseason game, but in terms of putting it Europe. BOOOOO!

Just say no to extra teams

Just say no to extra games, even with the elimination of pre-season games. They should eliminate 2 pre-season games anyway (have 1 home and 1 on the road) and leave it at that.

Just say no to games in other countries. This is a bad idea. If you're going to have neutral site games, have them in cities with adequate facilities that do not have football teams (Columbus, OH would be good for a Browns/Bengals matchup).

Remember when the REdskins played pre-season games in Raleigh and Chapel Hill? Why don't teams do that anymore?

I think adding another game is a plain bad idea. The NFL players put their bodies through so much as is. Adding another game would add to the wear and tear to the players and would probably end up burned out during playoffs. The Risk out weighs the Gain by a long shot. Don't try to fix something that ain't broke. Leave the game to how we've all grown to love it.

For pre-season games, I think the Redskins should take their act on the road, like go to Scott Stadium or Lane Stadium and play a game instead of playing them at FedEx Field. It's a good way to keep some of the fanbase in that part of the country happy.

']The discussion included shortening the preseason. I think if a 17th game is added' date=' the preseason will definitely be shortened.[/quote']

Most teams include preseason in season ticket packages. Taking away a game is 10% of ticket revenue for a team like the Redskins.

I really don''t want to see any games over in Europe. I don't care if they send Manchester United here to play games in the U.S. or they send real madrid. It just doesn't matter to me. Just as I think it really doesn't matter to people in Europe about American Football. If they want to watch it, get Directv and deal with it that way. I hate to see our fans cheated out of a regular season game. It is the right thing to do in terms of getting rid of one preseason game, but in terms of putting it Europe. BOOOOO!

We dont get Directv over here. The nfl is expanding into a global market, just like the rest of sports has for years and years now. The rest of the world has teams who compete with eachother around the globe year round. America is so big that you can have a fully fledged multi-billion dollar league in a sport just by catering for Americans. However, as previously stated that business model is now being exhausted and the league, as ever, will look to generate further revenue.

That includes bringing it to people from other countries. There are people outside the US who are passionate about american sports, believe me not everyone in Britain wants to watch Man Utd play football. Personally I would be more than happy if they just streamed the games live over the internet and I am still praying they do that so i can watch them just like you guys do. Until that time I get stuck with field pass and nfl.com.

Going to a game would be a dream come true. I think sometimes you guys might not appreciate that there are people as die hard as yourselves who arent from the good ol US of A but would love to see this kind of thing happen.

Id rather not see 17 games if it means that teams are going to be fielding a load of second stringers due to injury come December and January, it would be like the preseason in reverse! However, for games overseas, well I'm totally up for that. I dont care where I get to see the skins play but I believe as any fan should, it is my right as much as yours to cheer my team on wherever in the world they play.

Hail.

For pre-season games, I think the Redskins should take their act on the road, like go to Scott Stadium or Lane Stadium and play a game instead of playing them at FedEx Field. It's a good way to keep some of the fanbase in that part of the country happy.

It was cool back in the day when the NFL used to take preseason games on the road to smaller markets, nearby a teams main fanbase. The Skins have played preseason games in Hershey, PA and Richmond, VA.

However, in the era of high revenue generating luxury suites etc. a preseason home game is simply too valuable to take away from the many teams who have high debt service to pay on all of the new stadiums around the league. Most college stadiums are far inferior to the revenue potential of a modern NFL Stadium. To play any games away from an NFL venue is a major loss of gate revenue.

Notice how the HOF game and international games played overseas are actually an extra, or a fifth preseason game, rather than taking away one of the two home games a team plays in it's own stadium during preseason.

I know that AZ played SF in Mexico during the regular season in 2005. However, at the time, AZ played their home games in Sun Devil Stadium, which was a low revenue generating vanue by 2005 NFL standards. Don't look for any team with a stadium built after 1996 to voluntarily give up any home games.

Don't look for any team with a stadium built after 1996 to voluntarily give up any home games.

I believe that's the whole point of adding the 17th game: to allow games to be played overseas while keeping eight regular season home games.

As part of the plan, the pre-season would be shortened to three games.

cheers

Archived