Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

H.B. Blades on Washington Post Live

SkinsTillIDie

He didn't say much, nothing different than what we've read in other features. I tried to transcribe it to the best of my abilities...

On being a pro: just getting adjusted to the speed of the game. Terminology of the playbook is a lot different. Learning process.

On his name: Nobody bothers him about his name. Shawn Springs played in same secondary as his dad.

On growing up in NFL house: It was crazy. An opportunity to see the game on and off the field. Got an opportunity to learn a lot from Barry Sanders, Springs, his father - what it takes to be a pro football player.

Best Barry Sanders story: Very quite guy. Once asked Blades to get him gatorade. (that's it)

On the name, again: It's been hard to live up to the name, growing up in south florida. It's been hard for people to get to know him as a person and a player.

On going to Pitt: Wanted to get out of the state. Wanted to go to a school that respected his personality, get out of the shadow.

On playing special teams: All for playing special teams. Only 22 starters, everyone else has to contribute. Looking forward to getting input from Landon Fletcher, getting playing time on special teams.

On who he leans on: His linebacker coach. Been there all the meetings, you have to be the defensive coordinator and make all the calls. Coach has been huge.

On learning from Fletcher: I try to emulate him. Walking off the field, I asked him how he knows soe many things. He said, "I'm a 10 year vet!" He knows where the ball is going before it is there.

On his size: Just have to make plays, find different ways to make plays. Can fit in smaller gaps than bigger guys, get in the backfield easier.

Get sick of size being typecast? Landon Fletcher, Zach Thomas, Sam Mills - opened doors for myself. Guys like myself have to keep that going.

How overwhelming to learn the system? It is overwhelming at first, but just have to calm yourself down, take one step at a time. Everyone has been here before, everyone has to take baby steps. Just taking one day at a time.

It's given me an advantage, I know how to study and what to look for, how to go about things and do what I have to do. Now when I get a playbook, I know what to do and how to go about it.

Sorry that the transcript was so poor. I did my best. In all, didn't say anything really interesting. Intriguing though, that Springs played with his dad. Shows how old he is!

Thanks for posting this. H.B. Blades is a very interesting prospect who could turn out to be a very good decision for our team.

Edit: I know you likely rushed this a bit, but you should correct London Fletchers name, it's an O not an A.

There is no reason this guy shouldn't have been a first day draft guy. He was probably the biggest steal of the draft. He is definately a gem in the rough. He's a tackling machine, and I feel like, we are going to have a London Fletcher tackling machine at MLB in DC for the next 13 years.

I'm hoping this guy works out for us. We're getting old fast in other areas and we'll need to be able to count on him being a productive player and leader in a few years. Hopefully he turns out to be another C. Cooley type player for us, i.e. a poor "measurables" guy that nonetheless just knows the game and makes plays.

On playing special teams: All for playing special teams. Only 22 starters, everyone else has to contribute. Looking forward to getting input from Landon Fletcher, getting playing time on special teams.

Nice find, and good post. Is there anything that says "Joe Gibbs guy" more than the above?

Good post. I hope he does turn out to be the steal of the draft. He has time to learn from one of the best in London Fletcher. :applause:

What I don't understand right now though is why was Sartz was picked a round ahead of him? I mean him no disrespect to Sartz and want nothing better than for him to suceed for us and one day replace or fill in for Marcus Washington when needed. Lots of talk about Blades height but, does it not look like Sartz could use a little more meat on his bones to play LB?

I continue to be shocked at how this guy slipped to the 6th round. I have to keep tempering my expectations. There HAS to be a reason no one picked him until then. I'd be shocked if every team in the NFL fell for the "he's undersized" thing. There are PLENTY of short LBs in the NFL, particularly at MLB. It's not like the guy is a shrimp, he's just a little short. How important is height really for a MLB?

He produced in college, he's got the NFL lineage, and he's a hard worker. I'm excited to see what he's going to do on the field. Hopefully he will show something in the preseason.

Here we go again..... you are not gonna be Thomas, Mills or Fletcher just because of your size!

He didnt say that. he just said those guys open people's eyes. He wants to be successful to keep it going, who wouldnt? He didnt say, "Look at those guys! How could I fail?!" :rolleyes:

I like he has the size chip on his shoulder. That one never goes away so it should drive him throughout his career. I also like he takes responsibility for keeping the door open to other guys not the prototypical size, good to see in a MLB.

As for why Sartz was taken first I would suggest MW's surgery and no natural replacement had a hand in that.

Friend of mine went to Pitt. and is a die hard Pitt. fan ..... asked him about Blades ... and he said this kid should've went first or second round, but b/c his 40 time was off a tick or two he dropped and his team mate LB went before him !! This kid has a "good" chip on his shoulder b/c of that and feels he has to prove everyone who passed on him wrong. Hope he tears up on special teams and gets a chance to flash in pre-season.

He didnt say that. he just said those guys open people's eyes. He wants to be successful to keep it going, who wouldnt? He didnt say, "Look at those guys! How could I fail?!" :rolleyes:

Seriously. These pessimistic Band Wagoning fans need to chill out.

On learning from Fletcher: I try to emulate him. Walking off the field, I asked him how he knows soe many things. He said, "I'm a 10 year vet!" He knows where the ball is going before it is there.

I hope so, that would be nice to have a guy with instincts like that.

I continue to be shocked at how this guy slipped to the 6th round. I have to keep tempering my expectations. There HAS to be a reason no one picked him until then. I'd be shocked if every team in the NFL fell for the "he's undersized" thing. There are PLENTY of short LBs in the NFL, particularly at MLB. It's not like the guy is a shrimp, he's just a little short. How important is height really for a MLB?

If you recall L. Fletcher was not even drafted so there HAD to be a reason no one even called his name during the draft. We can all agree he turned out pretty well, we can hope H.B. turns out to be anywhere near Fletch we gotta a great great gem...

Archived