Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Royce Gracie vs. Kazushi "The Gracie Hunter" Sakuraba - June 2nd!!

d0ublestr0ker0ll

This has got to be put out there for fight fans. If you want to see jiu jitsu brilliance, and some of the best anti-jitsu, this is the fight for you.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=7710

Kazushi has defeated 4 of the legendary Gracies, including Royce in the 2000 Pride Grand Prix final. Winning this would make it 5. It'll be on Pay Per View in 3 days.

Sakuraba also beat Rampage Jackson (the new UFC LHW Champ). And his 4-0 record against the Gracies has earned him the nickname "The Gracie Hunter."

i'll find a stream of this event, not payin for this one. lol

*on a sidenote, we need an official mma thread. lol

When you find a stream, PM me!

There is one that was buried pretty far away before the Liddell/Jackson fight. I figured this should be put out there since it's Royce & Sakuraba. Debated on whether or not to put this in the MMA thread, but it'd probably get lost in there.

If he beat Royce in 2000 and is now fighting him again...how does the second time Royce Gracie win increase the tally of legendary gracies defeated??

Please pm me with a free stream link as well. dropped 50 large to see Rampage beat my boy liddell last week...though Houston Alexander's KO of Jardine was worth at least 20. :)

I know Sakuraba was cleared to fight, but he has some kind of degeneritive disease. I feel bad for him. He will not go "gracefully" into retirement. His family should really talk him out of ever fighting again.

That aside, Royce is probably in better shape at this point in their careers. I expect a slow, methodical fight, with Gracie pulling the sub. I know, I know, Saku kills Gracies. I just don't think he has much left in him, especially when he

wasn't even cleared to fight up until the last week. It will also be very interesting to watch the Lesnar fight. He was/is a damn good wrestler (and obviously I'm not talking about WWE :) ).

It is sad if Sakuraba does have such a disease; I really don't want to see him struggle in this fight because of his condition. But it would be great to see this fight between these warriors.

For those who aren't familiar with Sakuraba, you can find some of his fights on YouTube.

Would've loved to have seen Sakuraba vs Rickson. Anyone know the story as to why Rickson never wanted to avenge his family's name? Granted, there are so many f'ing Gracies, and most of them hate each other, but other than that. :)

Would've loved to have seen Sakuraba vs Rickson. Anyone know the story as to why Rickson never wanted to avenge his family's name? Granted, there are so many f'ing Gracies, and most of them hate each other, but other than that. :)

Well Rickson says the death of his son stopped him from competative combat for good. While I respect that, and can understand where he's coming from, it was just in the nick of time not to start fighting the best fighters in the world. NOW the Gracie Co. are claiming he's "the best jiu jitsu fighter ever." Compiling an unofficial record of 400+ wins with no losses. While 13 of those wins came under mixed martial art rules, this claim kinda pisses me off.

Rickson was a small guy, and would have had to go up in weight and deal with Saku's incredible strikes (for a shootfighter). I'd take Sakuraba in that one any day. Especially since Rickson never faught anyone near the MMA skill level as Sakuraba. His undefeated record may be impressive, but it doesn't impress me as much as a World MMA Champ with some losses under their belts. You play to win the ultimate prize, not to compile wins, leave, and have people call you "the greatest ever."

Nice submission attempts by Jake Shields on Elite XC until he yanked that rear naked choke. Pretty impressive welterweight, never heard of him.

he's at the bottom half of the top 10 welterweights, but don't judge him by that fight. that guy he fought was a career 155lb fighter. it was a mismatch skill wise. i look forward to seeing Shields against better competition though.

***edit: on a sidenote, whoever coordinates this company's presentation needs to be fired and forced to fight 1 round against Rampage

damn, they takin him out on the stretcher, i hope he's okay.

he walked straight into a right hand with no defense whatsoever. in retrospect, he should've started at some of the smaller circuit shows.

edit: he's awake, moving, & talking while on the stretcher, so he'll probably be alright

Archived