Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Royce Gracie vs. Kazushi "The Gracie Hunter" Sakuraba - June 2nd!!

d0ublestr0ker0ll

http://www.ultimate-fighter.ca/Forum/viewtopic.php?id=6884

Here is the brock lesner fight.

He's definitly got some skills and his ground n pound game may be the best I have ever seen.

Generally those punches don't hurt, but those looked like they had KO power to them.

way too early call his gNp the best just cause the level of talent he faced. i was impressed by lesnar, but its too soon to really get a definitive guage on his skill set just based on that being his only mma fight. i think he has a ton of potential just because of his explosiveness for his size, this is a better example of gNp by Fedor on Big Nog (who is one of the best submission fighters in all of mma):

MMAFedorGnP.gif

http://www.ultimate-fighter.ca/Forum/viewtopic.php?id=6884

Here is the brock lesner fight.

He's definitly got some skills and his ground n pound game may be the best I have ever seen.

Generally those punches don't hurt, but those looked like they had KO power to them.

I noticed the same thing sunstone... it wasn't what he did but the fact that those little short punches landed with so much power. The rule of thumb is get close to them so they can't really hit you, in the clip posted above you see what failing to do so can result in. Brock however was landing power where there is supposed to be no power.

I'm impressed.

way too early call his gNp the best just cause the level of talent he faced. i was impressed by lesnar, but its too soon to really get a definitive guage on his skill set just based on that being his only mma fight. i think he has a ton of potential just because of his explosiveness for his size, this is a better example of gNp by Fedor on Big Nog (who is one of the best submission fighters in all of mma):

MMAFedorGnP.gif

When I say "best" I should have said "hardest".

I noticed the same thing sunstone... it wasn't what he did but the fact that those little short punches landed with so much power. The rule of thumb is get close to them so they can't really hit you, in the clip posted above you see what failing to do so can result in. Brock however was landing power where there is supposed to be no power.

I'm impressed.

I'm not as impressed. Min Soo Kim is 2-6 and was outweighed bigtime as a Judo fighter. Not a good mix. Brock has a skillset which will be interesting to see develop. But he has a while to have a ground & pound that matches most of the top HW's in the world. Once you get hit in the mouth real hard, it changes you forever. That hasn't happened yet. He kind of reminds me of Kevin Randleman. A big, aggressive type of guy that seems like nobody could ever beat him up. But his record is 16-12 for a few reasons. Brock has a ways to go, trust me. It'll be interesting to see him develop. He's 29, so he needs to do it pretty quickly.

I'm not as impressed. Min Soo Kim is 2-6 and was outweighed bigtime as a Judo fighter. Not a good mix. Brock has a skillset which will be interesting to see develop. But he has a while to have a ground & pound that matches most of the top HW's in the world. Once you get hit in the mouth real hard, it changes you forever. That hasn't happened yet. He kind of reminds me of Kevin Randleman. A big, aggressive type of guy that seems like nobody could ever beat him up. But his record is 16-12 for a few reasons. Brock has a ways to go, trust me. It'll be interesting to see him develop. He's 29, so he needs to do it pretty quickly.

This coming from a guy who still has Chuck in his sig.:nono:

Look, everyone knew that brock was going to beat that dude, we aren't questioning wether or not he is a top fighter. We are simply saying that this dude hits harder than anyone in MMA history at that range.

Kevin Randleman is 16 - 12 for a VERY good reason.

He fights all these top fighters!

Kevin beat CroCop......He picked up Fedor and slammed him on top of his head, I have no idea how fedor survived that slam.

Get some wins under his belt, and he could make some great matches with any top fighter.

This coming from a guy who still has Chuck in his sig.:nono:

Look, everyone knew that brock was going to beat that dude, we aren't questioning wether or not he is a top fighter. We are simply saying that this dude hits harder than anyone in MMA history at that range.

Kevin Randleman is 16 - 12 for a VERY good reason.

He fights all these top fighters!

Kevin beat CroCop......He picked up Fedor and slammed him on top of his head, I have no idea how fedor survived that slam.

Get some wins under his belt, and he could make some great matches with any top fighter.

Ohhhh, :laugh: you were just waiting to say that one huh? I was wondering who would be the first to attack my sig. Didn't think it'd be the almighty SUNSTONE in great big capital letters. Chuck lost to Rampage, so what? I stick with who I'm a fan of, it would be called bandwaggoning if I switched every time my player, team or fighter lost. I guess liking Chuck makes me inferior to all other opinions.

Otherwise, making that kind of claim as to the power of Lesnar's punches from close range on the ground after one fight, 'the hardest puncher ever from close in on the guard?' is pretty out there. That's like saying Mark Brunell is the most accurate short-yardage passer of all time after his game against the Texans this season. You put Fedor, Bas Rutten, a lot of fighters who've trained countless hours up against the guy Lesnar faught and tell them to punch leaning in to the guard. That would be smack-tabo-liscious.

As far as Randleman, the guy has only beaten one elite fighter (he also won against Babalu). And about 10 of his losses come from essentially top 10 contenders. He could never break through that wall, besides for a minute against Cro Cop. He looks like he should be in a strong man contest, just like Lesnar. If Randleman didn't dive down to fight average guys every so often, he'd be 12-16. His slam against Fedor was crucial, then again...Michael Bisping is 13-0 and almost got sub'd by Elvis Sinosic. Anything can happen, but most of the time - Randleman just ends up in a bad position. Anyway, this isn't about Kevin, I was just comparing physique and how it can cause a smoking mirror effect..

Gracie won. But little was avenged.

The fight was a fraud. Three 5-minute rounds for those two is like playing 3 downs in a football game for each team. I believe Saku was more the aggressor and went for more submissions (next to maybe 1 sub attempt by Gracie). It was pathetic. Gracie kept flailing his front kicks out there, and Saku missed his haymakers by 2 feet. One short burst of right hooks almost got Saku from behind, but they were blocked easily. Gracie kicked Saku a few times from his back while Saku stood there unsure of his old-self. That's all Gracie basically did. God knows how the hell he won round 2 for the judge that scored it 30-27.

I had it 29-28 for Sakuraba, in what could have been a little fixation in the judges scorecards if you're feelin' me. This whole event was sketched out to the max. All in all, a bad night of MMA.

I didn't agree with the judges either. Should have been 30-27 for Gracie on all cards.

Gracie controlled that whole fight. When it went to the ground it was because he wanted it there. When they were in a tie up he was the one punishing Sak's legs and landing punches. Even in the clinch when Sak was throwing kness Gracie was getting the better of the exchange. He landed a ton of body shot uppercuts there and Sak only connected a little on one of those knees. Sak even switched up his lead leg at times because of those leg kicks, and I directly attribute the body shots to Sak's fatigue at the end.

Gracie dominated. I hope he fights again at that weight. I think he could do some damage in the 185 division.

This will be the last time I watch one of these Elite XC promotions. I know they were trying to make a big event out of their debut but cmon those introductions and ring walks lasted longer than the actual fights. It looks to me like they are just going to bring out these big name retread fighters to attract buyers (ie Frank Shamrock and Phil Baroni later this month). I'll stick to UFC.

That was a K-1 promotion. Elite XC didn't put it together, they only helped out.

The Elite XC card at the end of the month is at least twice as good as the next UFC ppv, and it is all on Showtime instead of ppv. At the very least tivo it and fast forward through the stuff you don't like.

June 22nd Elite XC on Showtime

Main Card Bouts:

-Frank Shamrock vs. Phil Baroni : Both these guys hate each other. Both want a knockout in the worst way. Should be a great (and maybe short) fight

-Murilo "Ninja" Rua vs. Joey Villasenor : I think Ninja has been overrated for a while now, but he is still a great fighter. I really like Villasenor right now. I think he is very underrated. Both these guys like to strike. Should be great.

-Paul Buentello vs. Carter Williams : I'm a huge Buentello fan. Guy has won me a lot of bets. It is too bad Arlovski caught him so quick in that fight or Buentello would probably still be in the UFC beating people. Carter is a great K-1 fighter how can kickbox with the best. Niether of these guys want the fight anywhere near the ground. Should be great.

-Paul Daley vs. Duane "Bang" Ludwig : Don't know much about Daley. Ludwig can Bang :D

-Josh Thomson vs. Nick Gonzalez : Thompson really impressed me in his last fight and I can't wait to see him fight again.

-Cung Le vs. Tony Fryklund : Le is one of the most unigue fighters in MMA. A real throwback Kung Fu guy who can do MMA. I will always tune in to see him.

-Charles “Krazy Horse” Bennett vs. Victor "Joe Boxer" Valenzuela : Bennett is always interesting. Not always good, but always interesting.

Preliminary Bouts:

-Jason Von Flue vs. Luke Stewart

-Mike Pyle vs. Aaron Wetherspoon

-Eugene Jackson vs. Danny Higgins

-Rex Richards vs. Steve Jester

Archived