Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Georgia CB Oliver to enter supplemental draft

Mark28

This is my first post but I have been an avid reader for some time. This thread brought me out of hiding because I am faithful UGA alumni and thus, I bleed red and black just as much as I bleed burgandy and gold.

I hope the same people that were campaigning for Calvin Johnson are not the ones hating on Paul Oliver. If so, I would suggest you take a look at the stat lines from last years meeting between UGA and GA Tech. Being UGA's number one corner, Oliver was charged with the task of limiting Calvin Johnson and making everyone else on the field beat us. Here are the stats:

RECYDSAVGTDLGCalvin Johnson2136.5010

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=263290061

Those do not look like stats for a player worthy of the number 2 pick in the draft, they just don't. This was not in meaningless game either. These teams are huge rivals and a win means state wide bragging rights. The rivalry is actually called Good Clean Old Fashinoned Hate. My point is not that Calvin Johnson shouldn't have been the number two pick. My point is that Paul Oliver is worthy of a first round pick and is definitely worth a second or third round pick.

He steps up in huge games against the best players, period. Add the fact that he is 6'0" 205 lbs, 4.38 40 yd dash, and great hands why not spend the draft pick now and give him a year to learn the system while learning by example from some of the Character guys on our team. Thoughts?

It depends on what we bid for him. The team that puts the highest bid in get him.

So if we put in for a 5th round, and noone puts anything higher than that they we would only lose a 5th.

Gotcha. I wouldn't mind seeing us at least make a modest bid for this guy.

I would spend a 3rd to get him, since we are high in the 3rd (based on last years record right??) I don't see many teams giving up 2nd's, we should be able to snag him. We don't want to give up next years picks, but this isn't like trading for Briggs or Bly, the "older" guys. Since he would have been part of the draft next year, it's like getting him a year earlier to acclimate him to the NFL and possibly use a lower pick (if he is 1st round talent). If the scouting department does it's homework and decides to pick this guy with a 3rd or lower draft pick, I would definitely be for it.

Good catch. Plenty of positives.

- Only 5 teams ahead of us in the round. Chances of us getting him for a third are good.

- The general concencus is that he is a 1st rounder. "Character Issues" or no, Its doubtful we could pick up a CB w/ his talent next year w/ the same pick.

- Its doubtful our pick next season would be higher in the round

- We would get him for cheap!

- Cutting/Trading springs wouldn't hurt our depth at CB nearly as much.

- We would have young talent at CB besides Rogers with a year more to develop than picking up a CB next year

- Even with the way he left school... remember that he chose not to enter the draft last year to finish college. Even though he didn't follow through, he tried to do the right thing and didn't go after the money this year. He isn't as much a character risk as an intellegence risk.

The only negatives are

- Doesn't seem extremely intellegent. But in the NFL, just because a player was in college or had a degree, doesn't make them intellegent. Talent counts for alot.

- Could prove to be a bust just like any draftee

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head. At a glance, it looks like a great chance to take using a third rounder. A second may be too high.

Pull the trigger!!

If we can get him for a 5th 6th or 7th then yes......but I dont want us to waste any first day picks this year.
\

it's not wasting a first day draft pick, you guys need to realize, he made a stupid mistake (Who hasn't? honestly, if you can say you are completely innocent of making a massively bonehead mistake, you're full of it)

The guy had 1st round potential this recent draft and is slated as a first rounder next draft. THUS, he is 1st round talent regardless of the year. if we can use our 3rd round draft pick on a PLAYER IN THE DRAFT (Key words folks) it is a STEAL. Corner is one of the hardest positions on defense, it doesn't matter if he made a stupid mistake, if he has game, its worth it. Besides, its not like he had a DUI or hit or run or assault or something, He didn't goto class!

This is my first post but I have been an avid reader for some time. This thread brought me out of hiding because I am faithful UGA alumni and thus, I bleed red and black just as much as I bleed burgandy and gold.

I hope the same people that were campaigning for Calvin Johnson are not the ones hating on Paul Oliver. If so, I would suggest you take a look at the stat lines from last years meeting between UGA and GA Tech. Being UGA's number one corner, Oliver was charged with the task of limiting Calvin Johnson and making everyone else on the field beat us. Here are the stats:

RECYDSAVGTDLGCalvin Johnson2136.5010

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=263290061

Those do not look like stats for a player worthy of the number 2 pick in the draft, they just don't. This was not in meaningless game either. These teams are huge rivals and a win means state wide bragging rights. The rivalry is actually called Good Clean Old Fashinoned Hate. My point is not that Calvin Johnson shouldn't have been the number two pick. My point is that Paul Oliver is worthy of a first round pick and is definitely worth a second or third round pick.

He steps up in huge games against the best players, period. Add the fact that he is 6'0" 205 lbs, 4.38 40 yd dash, and great hands why not spend the draft pick now and give him a year to learn the system while learning by example from some of the Character guys on our team. Thoughts?

I said I'd give up a third for him, but you sold me. I could see a second, but not sure I'd want to part with my first.

Didn't realize the guy ran a sub 4.4 forty.

Let's do it.

Hail,

H

Okay, someone explain to me how the "supplemental draft" works?

Here's an old article from Mort:

http://espn.go.com/chrismortensen/s/2003/0709/1578585.html

Basically, teams email the league office with a pick and a player. So, if the Redskins email the league that they want to use their 3rd round pick on Oliver and no one else submits an offer that is higher (i.e. 1st, 2nd, or better 3rd), then we get him. So it's risky because we don't know what other teams are doing, so we could give up a higher pick than necessary, or we could miss out by trying to low ball the offer.

Whatever we offer is our pick from that round next year, assuming we get him.

Hail,

H

Can someone name some players that have been taken in the supplimental draft that have amounted to anything in the NFL?

Off the top of my head, I recall Olineman Mike Wahl was drafted by the Packers (now with the Panthers) out of Navy. Navy dismissed him when he tested positive for steriods or something (don't quote me on that) so he became eligible for the draft that year. He's been a solid player.

I remember the Giants spent a first round pick on QB Dave Brown from Duke. He flopped of course.

I don't think the Skins have ever used a pick in the Supp Draft. Anyone else recall differently?

Hail,

H

Just doesn't seem to me that it's a productive way to pick up talent.

Well, it depends really. The players that are eligible for the Supplemental Draft were not eligible for the regular draft. So, there is another much, much smaller talent pool for teams to use that wasn't available before.

This way, players who for whatever reason become eligible for the NFL over the summer don't have to wait a full year, or perhaps become UDFA which would not sit well with the NFL. I read up a little on this and Bernie Kosar was also taken in the Supplemental Draft because he graduated early. There's some controversy over this with the Browns supposedly conspiring with Kosar to not enter the regular draft, graduate, then enter the Supplemental Draft where the Browns could position themselves to take him.

I'm thinking this Oliver guy might be worth a second or third rounder in next year's draft.

Hail,

H

I would say usually NO, it's not a producive way to find talent, but you don' pass up on talent when it becomes available, anywhere! someone always has issues, not everyone's life permits them to be perfec tand go by the books, some people have to find differn't avenues to become successfull, and honestly, this dude would of been a 1st or second rounder DEF by the 3rd round of this years draft, HE'S A SHUT DOWN CORNER. I don't care if we draft a shutdown corner out of pee-wee football. As long as he does hi sjob and lives up to his hype he can always have a spot on my sqaud. If the redskins don't take him it's silly. Especially with springs getting as old as he is, olver and rogers would be nasty, it would be : Rogers,Oliver,smoot,macklin, i mean seriously, You can never have enough talent at Corner.

I dont know how many times this has to be said for everyone to remember. We do not have a 4th next year. We lost our 4th in the Duckett trade. Maybe ppl are trying to forget this trade ever happened?

and thank you!! i wan't even going to try and srgue with these people again abut us not having the 4th rounder. haha Learn how to follow your team people!!!

\

it's not wasting a first day draft pick, you guys need to realize, he made a stupid mistake (Who hasn't? honestly, if you can say you are completely innocent of making a massively bonehead mistake, you're full of it)

The guy had 1st round potential this recent draft and is slated as a first rounder next draft. THUS, he is 1st round talent regardless of the year. if we can use our 3rd round draft pick on a PLAYER IN THE DRAFT (Key words folks) it is a STEAL. Corner is one of the hardest positions on defense, it doesn't matter if he made a stupid mistake, if he has game, its worth it. Besides, its not like he had a DUI or hit or run or assault or something, He didn't goto class!

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: at least someone is in the same boat as I am. I dont see how these people are saying we are wasting a pick when we probably wont have that low of a pick next year, and the fact we're getting a shut-down corner in return. I wouldn't use a 1st rounder or 2nd rounder to get him just because that would defeat the purpose to try and get him for a steal. I say throw a 3rd or 5th at him and see what happens, if we get him then AWESOME!, if not... hey at least we have net years draft.

and i will be the first one to admit that I wasn't great in school, and im alright in college, but i dont have the choice to play football and have that as my career, if i did, i would quit school too. People make too much out of smarts when it becomes to decision making. Character Issues?? c'mon give me a break, everyone has character issues, it's just that you know all about him and no one knows anything about you!

IF he wants to be successful in the NFL he will do what it takes toget it done.

It's like when People were saying Vince young was dumb a as a brick, I just laughed.

WE aren't solving mathematical equations out there on the field people!! ITS CALLED ATHLETIC ABILITY, me being a athlete since I was 4 i can relate. The media is too involved in making everything a problem. Everyones brain reacts differently depending upon what thei brain is being challenged at. He may not be super smart in school and whatever but I guarantee he can play his ass off at CB.

school isn't for everybody. and it doesn't translate into fooball iq. how many ivy leaguers are in the league? people that don't finish school don't have any less character or drive then everyone else. Look at einstien. This guy is a talented football player who was a leader at a fantastic football university and just didn't like academics. He is not a trouble maker and he could be had for 3rd round money!!!!! meanwhile we are paying an overhyped cripple big time money to likely be on IR for at least a quarter of the season. We need to do it. we secured the safety position, and lb position this year. if we do this our cb's are straight and we draft a DE in the first round and an OL in the second. we'd be set!

I see zero (bust aside) downside of trying to get him with a 3rd rounder. If he ends up being as good as I think he can be, I would be ok with a 2nd. I don't think the team will use a 2nd though. Let's hope they throw in the 3rd and get lucky. I have a feeling at least 25 other teams are thinking the same thing.

Archived