Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Georgia CB Oliver to enter supplemental draft

Mark28

Not true (for once). We have all our 08 draft picks at the moment.

I dont know how many times this has to be said for everyone to remember. We do not have a 4th next year. We lost our 4th in the Duckett trade. Maybe ppl are trying to forget this trade ever happened?

I'm sorry, you can't meet NCAA eligibility requirements at Georgia? Are you kidding me? Yeah, lets take a flyer on a guy who can't meet NCAA eligibility requirements at Georgia. I think if you've attended university you understand that football players on the most part aren't really held accountable from a grade perspective and they get a lot of help from "tutors", but come on. You can't meet eligibility requirements at Georgia. Hell, Aaron Brooks managed to make it through UVA, which has a reputable academic reputation..........Georgia?..........Please, the guy could probably qualify for the special olympics. IrunfastIrunfastIrunfast.

Maybe I read it wrong but didn't it say that he just quit going to class so that would be different then "failing" due to intellectual stupidity. It still doesn't show much intelligence but I don't think he is drooling with a blank look on his face either.

I'm sorry, you can't meet NCAA eligibility requirements at Georgia? Are you kidding me? Yeah, lets take a flyer on a guy who can't meet NCAA eligibility requirements at Georgia. I think if you've attended university you understand that football players on the most part aren't really held accountable from a grade perspective and they get a lot of help from "tutors", but come on. You can't meet eligibility requirements at Georgia. Hell, Aaron Brooks managed to make it through UVA, which has a reputable academic reputation..........Georgia?..........Please, the guy could probably qualify for the special olympics. IrunfastIrunfastIrunfast.

There is more to this than not meeting NCAA requirements. It says after the football season he basically quit going to class. Not that he couldnt make the grades, he just decided not to.

The real question is this:

If he was knew he was going to stop going to class why didnt he just enter the draft??

we DON'T have a 4th rounder next year to give up, duh.

When I posted about a 4th rounder, I was explaining the supplemental process to the guy who was asking about it by using examples. I wasn't even mentioning Oliver or what I think his value is.

The real question is this:

If he was knew he was going to stop going to class why didnt he just enter the draft??

we have a winner. So far, this guy has Mike Williams written all over him, but no team will use a 1st or 2nd rounder on him int he supplemental draft, maybe some team will spend a 4th on him. It doesn't seem like a situation ala Ahmad Brooks who couldn't enter the main draft, it seems more that this guy is just an immature bum if he's skipping out on classes.

You can get a free education and degree from Georgia, a pretty reputable school, for doing absolutely nothing but showing up for practice, and this guy didn't want to do that anymore.

Georgia Loses Star Corner To Grades

Posted May 17th 2007 5:29PM by Nathan Fowler

Filed under: Georgia Football, SEC, NFL Prospects, Breaking News

Paul Oliver was one of the better cornerbacks in college football last year and would probably have been a first day draft pick in this year's NFL draft if he had decided to leave school early, but he chose to remain to Georgia and play one more year. Or, at least that's what he said at the time. In fact, it appears that Oliver basically checked out of school after the football season ended and didn't really care about going to class very much during the spring - as he is now leaving the school and entering the NFL supplemental draft after failing to meet NCAA eligibility requirements.

So should we spend a 2nd or 3rd rounder in '08 to secure his services? :applause:

No there is no point, we already have a great corner in Shawn Springs and two very good corners in Smoot and Rogers. We could use that 2nd or 3rd rounder on a WR of LG in the draft, do not waste picks.

This is what I dont like about gibbs, This guy looks like a steal and is a player we could need in the near future but knowing gibbs he wont even look at him because he quit school the only way he will look at him is if he is more into church then gibbs which is unlikely

we would have had to already submit for the supplemental draft I believe.

Not a smart kid it sounds like. Decides to not go to the draft to return for one more season and then doesn't go to class.???

The supplemental draft isnt until the summer. We dont have to put our bid in until then. So there is plenty of time for this kid to be researched by our scouting dept.

Maybe I read it wrong but didn't it say that he just quit going to class so that would be different then "failing" due to intellectual stupidity. It still doesn't show much intelligence but I don't think he is drooling with a blank look on his face either.

Yeah, I'd much rather have a quitter than an idiot....

Springs will definately be the deciding factor. If we cut him in June i see no reason not to go after this guy. It's not like we are giving away a pick. Think of it more like drafting a year early. We'd be getting a 1st round talent with a with a 3rd round pick. Even if we keep Springs this guy may be able to compete with Rogers for a starting roll.

nah keep our picks...and plus gibbs prob wouldn't draft him anyways because of his back grades.
normally I'd disagree, but I have a feeling you're right. Corner may be the one position on D where you can't afford to have a moron.

Georgia ranked 60th nationally in the recent US News school rankings. Georgia is a solid university. No need to bust on UGa.

(I didn't go there).

Not true (for once). We have all our 08 draft picks at the moment.

Actually, I believe our fourth rounder next year went to Denver in the magnificent Duckett trade. Not sure if that's been cleared up yet or not.

I don't know anything about this guy, but if he's a legitimate first or second rounder, I wouldn't mind throwing in next year's third rounder for him, assuming the Redskins believe he has his head screwed on tight.

CB is a position where you cannot have too many good ones.

Hail,

H

This is what I dont like about gibbs, This guy looks like a steal and is a player we could need in the near future but knowing gibbs he wont even look at him because he quit school the only way he will look at him is if he is more into church then gibbs which is unlikely

Gibbs would be a fool to think Portis, Taylor, Moss, Marcus, most of the team for that matter, are church going non-pot smoking morally strong people. Gibbs deals with these players, he isn't a fool. Don't let all the Brunell humor cloud you into thinking Gibbs only likes churchboys.

Gibbs would be a fool to think Portis, Taylor, Moss, Marcus, most of the team for that matter, are church going non-pot smoking morally strong people. Gibbs deals with these players, he isn't a fool. Don't let all the Brunell humor cloud you into thinking Gibbs only likes churchboys.

You're right Mr. S. Gibbs has the ability to distinguish between thugs and guys who make mistakes. Dexter wasn't a thug, he made mistakes (perpetually however!). Gibbs managed him as long as he could.

Pacman Jones on the other hand? Yeah, I think he'd stay away from him and would be wise to do so.

But you don't have to be church going to not smoke pot. There are plenty of moral middle grounds. Character is a high priority for Gibbs, but he has also shown the willingness to try to mold guys who have questionable character issues. Gibbs is just what a guy like Sean Taylor needs, and I think ST is starting to realize it.

Lastly, there are a lot of reasons guys fail out of college. It doesn't necessarily mean Oliver is of poor character.

Hail,

H

That is one of the reason why I love Joe Gibbs. He wants hard-working, character guys. I do not know about Oliver but it does not SOUND like he fits that mold.

Georgia Loses Star Corner To Grades

Posted May 17th 2007 5:29PM by Nathan Fowler

Filed under: Georgia Football, SEC, NFL Prospects, Breaking News

Paul Oliver was one of the better cornerbacks in college football last year and would probably have been a first day draft pick in this year's NFL draft if he had decided to leave school early, but he chose to remain to Georgia and play one more year. Or, at least that's what he said at the time. In fact, it appears that Oliver basically checked out of school after the football season ended and didn't really care about going to class very much during the spring - as he is now leaving the school and entering the NFL supplemental draft after failing to meet NCAA eligibility requirements.

So should we spend a 2nd or 3rd rounder in '08 to secure his services? :applause:

I would spend a 3rd to get him, since we are high in the 3rd (based on last years record right??) I don't see many teams giving up 2nd's, we should be able to snag him. We don't want to give up next years picks, but this isn't like trading for Briggs or Bly, the "older" guys. Since he would have been part of the draft next year, it's like getting him a year earlier to acclimate him to the NFL and possibly use a lower pick (if he is 1st round talent). If the scouting department does it's homework and decides to pick this guy with a 3rd or lower draft pick, I would definitely be for it.

Archived