Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Georgia CB Oliver to enter supplemental draft

Mark28

Georgia Loses Star Corner To Grades

Posted May 17th 2007 5:29PM by Nathan Fowler

Filed under: Georgia Football, SEC, NFL Prospects, Breaking News

Paul Oliver was one of the better cornerbacks in college football last year and would probably have been a first day draft pick in this year's NFL draft if he had decided to leave school early, but he chose to remain to Georgia and play one more year. Or, at least that's what he said at the time. In fact, it appears that Oliver basically checked out of school after the football season ended and didn't really care about going to class very much during the spring - as he is now leaving the school and entering the NFL supplemental draft after failing to meet NCAA eligibility requirements.

So should we spend a 2nd or 3rd rounder in '08 to secure his services? :applause:

So should we spend a 2nd or 3rd rounder in '08 to secure his services? :applause:

You won't need to.

He'll be a year out of shape with no current film. He's left school early because he isn't adult enough to handle college. There's no way he ends up on anybody's draft board above the 5th round with those dings on his character.

You won't need to.

He'll be a year out of shape with no current film. He's left school early because he isn't adult enough to handle college. There's no way he ends up on anybody's draft board above the 5th round with those dings on his character.

No he wont. The NFL Draft and NFL Supplemental Draft are two different things. We would get him for this year but lose a draft pick for next years draft depending on which round we take him in.

No he wont. The NFL Draft and NFL Supplemental Draft are two different things. We would get him for this year but lose a draft pick for next years draft depending on which round we take him in.

Sorry, I misread that. What's the lowest possible round we can take him in for this supplemental?

Sorry, I misread that. What's the lowest possible round we can take him in for this supplemental?

You submit a bid based on what round you would take the guy in. So if we think he's worth a fourth rounder NEXT year, then we submit a bid saying we'll take him in the fourth round of the supplemental draft. If no other team has submitted a bid for him, then we would get him, and we would lose our fourth round draft pick next year, but we would have the guy's services this year. If another team also submits a 4th round bid for him, then priority is given to the team with the worse record.

Ahmad Brooks out of UVa is a notable guy drafted this way by the Bengals last year.

but i'll grab a CB anytime if he is good because they can make a difference instantly. adding depth also adds competition. Just like if there is any D lineman that WOULDA been a 1st or second rounder. we should thinkg about taking him if hes gonna make a difference for this team. it shouldn't matter if he came out of a field in mexico, as long as he can be long term and be a playmaker,i'll take him.

Man I'm sayin, this should be something to look into. We might need some insurance if Springs is on his way out. Dude obviously has some kinda tiff with us right now. He he has first-round potential, I say go for it. Springs is makin me nervous. Plus, he played at Georgia, so he plays a physical style as well. GW might wanna look into this kid.

This might be something to look into. Getting a potential star DB a year early not a bad idea. Really you cant have enough dbs on our roster. The Question is Shawn Springs, As I look at this now there is some issues going on there and acquiring a Potential star might be something to think about. Springs is old and think he going to cause problems in the locker room this year.

Springs=Liability

I'm sorry, you can't meet NCAA eligibility requirements at Georgia? Are you kidding me? Yeah, lets take a flyer on a guy who can't meet NCAA eligibility requirements at Georgia. I think if you've attended university you understand that football players on the most part aren't really held accountable from a grade perspective and they get a lot of help from "tutors", but come on. You can't meet eligibility requirements at Georgia. Hell, Aaron Brooks managed to make it through UVA, which has a reputable academic reputation..........Georgia?..........Please, the guy could probably qualify for the special olympics. IrunfastIrunfastIrunfast.

Archived