Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP : Comcast wins in NFL Network dispute

SkinsNatsFan

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070511/ap_en_tv/comcast_nfl_network_1

Comcast wins in NFL Network dispute

Thu May 10, 10:18 PM ET

NEW YORK - Comcast Corp., the nation's largest cable television operator, can distribute the NFL Network as niche programming instead of as part of a bigger digital package with many more viewers, a judge has ruled, potentially costing the league millions of dollars a month in revenue.

if(window.yzq_d==null)window.yzq_d=new Object();window.yzq_d['obj.RkLEYrQ-']='&U=13ab5o1vq%2fN%3dobj.RkLEYrQ-%2fC%3d569662.9866737.11131358.1414694%2fD%3dLREC%2fB%3d4502374';b?P=gTJqO0WTcuqO2956RkC4gQttxsyF0EZEZ_cAAQdM&T=1an9c00es%2fX%3d1178888183%2fE%3d46078134%2fR%3dnews%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d2.1%2fW%3dH%2fY%3dYAHOO%2fF%3d17832379%2fH%3dY2FjaGVoaW50PSJuZXdzIiBjb250ZW50PSJOZXR3b3JrO25ldHdvcms7aXQ7cHJpY2U7c3dpdGNoO21vbmV5O0l0O3ZpY2UgcHJlc2lkZW50O3JlZnVybF9teV95YWhvb19jb20iIHJlZnVybD0icmVmdXJsX215X3lhaG9vX2NvbSIgdG9waWNzPSJyZWZ1cmxfbXlfeWFob29fY29tIg--%2fQ%3d-1%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3d4D719345&U=13ab5o1vq%2fN%3dobj.RkLEYrQ-%2fC%3d569662.9866737.11131358.1414694%2fD%3dLREC%2fB%3d4502374

The NFL owns the network, which broadcasts live out-of-market games and also carries original professional football programming.

The NFL sued in October after Comcast notified the league that it had decided to put the network on a sports tier with about 750,000 viewers, moving it from a digital tier seen by more than 7 million of its 24 million cable customers. A tier carries a specific type of programming and is available to customers at an additional price over the cost of basic programming.

"We bargained explicitly for the right to place the NFL Network on a sports tier because it is the best and fairest solution for all our customers," David L. Cohen, executive vice president of Comcast, said in a statement Thursday. "This decision means that our customers who are NFL fans will be able to watch the NFL Network without burdening those who are not NFL fans with extra costs."

Comcast said it intends to move the NFL Network to a sports tier for the 2007 season, allowing customers who subscribe to view eight additional live out-of-market NFL games.

More likely is that it means the customers who are NFL fans will now pay extra to get the NFL network and the "burdened" others will not see any decrease in price at all for the digital tier, just less programming.

I really could not care less about the NFL "losing" money over this.

What does piss me off is the average Joe's cable rates will go up even though people who pay for the sports tier will pay more to have the channel anyway. Like Comcast needs excuses to raise rates.

Like Comcast needs excuses to raise rates.

Well they can't use "high gas prices" as an excuse, so what ELSE are they going to use? :)

I despise the NFL & it's network for their bullying tactics. I could see if it was a seasonal network but really how many times can they reair the same stuff in the offseason?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070511/ap_en_tv/comcast_nfl_network_1

More likely is that it means the customers who are NFL fans will now pay extra to get the NFL network and the "burdened" others will not see any decrease in price at all for the digital tier, just less programming.

exactly

Direct TV is the way to go if you can... I haven't missed cable one minute since I switched about 4 years ago

Yeah, while I am greatly annoyed by such things as the DirectTV remote(I CLICKED YOU, NO, GO BACK, GAHHHH) and how long it takes to resync with the satelite on those rare occasions you need to, cant complain at all. Get NFL Network and all that along with a ton of sports stations for the little bit extra for the fox sports package.

Plus, we got our HD Satelite and reciever for free when we signed up for sunday ticket last season(got the HD version thrown in for free as well). All the football you could possibly want, almost all in HD. Glorious.

F Comcast! :finger: They stink.

That's why I'm with Verizon FIOS. Around 43 bucks a month, and I get the NFL Network. vs my 60 a month for Comcast.

I told Comcast last year I would switch if they didn't carry NFL Network as part of Basic. They didn't care, obviously, but I'm one less customer for them. And I'm sure I'll never go back.

The only thing Comcast had over anything else offered here in Florida is On Demand. Otherwise, DirecTV is the only way i can see my skins play on sunday. :logo:

Is "On Demand" better than DVR with Tivo? I can't imagine TV without TiVo.

This is annoying. I have NFL network right now, and while I watch it sometimes and enjoy having it "generally" - it's not worth paying extra for. I guess I will be saying 'bye bye' because I'm not shelling another dime out to watch a few extra games.

Understandible only since you live in the Skins viewing area. I, however live in the Lions viewing area. I'd MUCH RATHER to watch a snail race. Or plaster drying! I happen to be an 8 year Sunday ticket subscriber. I happen to have TiVo with DVR as well. The LEAST they can do is throw in NFL Net. I'm glad they did. But paying for it is not a realistic option if you live in the DC area.

Archived