Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cooley's Upcoming Contract

Jino

Contrary to what the board thinks, I don't Cooley is going to get a monster of a contract. He isn't a top 3 tight end. Nor is he a superstar playmaker. What he is, is a solid catching tight end. He probably compares to Jason Witten in terms of production.

However, it's his persona that endears himself to fans. So let's be realistic of what Cooley is going to get and please don't over-estimate his abilities. Take him for what he is, an above average TE, not a superstar like Antonio Gates

I don't really think personality is why everyone wants to see him to retire here. Character is the icing on the cake. The fact is reguardless of how you think he measures up against other elite TEs in the league, his real value is in how important he is to this team. I could care less, but I think the team will pay him serious money because we can't even think about letting him test free agency.

A TE doesnt make as much money as many other positions, so even a top 5 contract for Cooley isnt going to break the bank by any means. I think he will get himself a very nice contract(as TE's go), but far below what would be expected at other positions.

as far as contract goes, he shouldn't get a monster one, but he should be well served because he plays with great heart, which the B&G need for future growth. Plus, him and Campbell hooking up over the next 5-10 sounds sweet and looked promising last season.

I just hope we sign BOTH Cooley & Taylor to long term deals, not EITHER/OR. Cooley is a crowd favorite, so that should factor at least somewhat into the size of the contract...shouldn't Snyder look out for his fans' interests???

Why would you want to overpay him? I'm hoping his cap figures are as small as possible bc of what Sean Taylor's expecting. He wants to get paid like Ed Reed.

Jason Witten's contract was 7-yrs, $29 mil with a $6 mil signing bonus and a $6 mil option bonus the following March. Pretty much the same type deal the Skins signed with ARE, Carter and Lloyd. There's your starting point with Cooley. He's a more productive receiver in this offense then ARE and Lloyd are so he could demand more money then they got. And his agent will argue this now that TEs are more of a focal point in offenses.

Why would you want to overpay him? I'm hoping his cap figures are as small as possible bc of what Sean Taylor's expecting. He wants to get paid like Ed Reed.

I'm not saying they should go overboard with it. But, his character & attitude is worth SOMETHING. They should go the extra mile to take care of the "core skins" they refer to so much about.

if you actually look at game film, and then look at this stats, he compares VERY VERY favorably with Antonio Gates and Tony Gonzalez. He has consistently put up 600-800 yards a year with 6+ td's. He is one of the best at after contact and after catch. He is a real chain mover. He deserves a top 5 contract. Basically, behind

Vernon Davis

Tony Gonzalez

Antonio Gates

Jason Witten

somewhere in that ballpark

He does not deserve Gonzalez/Gates $ but I could see him getting a deal slightly bigger then what was paid to Whitten. The only fallback to Cooley is that he doesn't have the prototype TE size which is why we started him at the h-back position....

While this may be true, I doubt ANYONE believed derrick dockery or leonard davis were superstars either, but they got $50 million plus. I realize it's a completely different position and everything and I don't think any of them were worth it and not many players, if any should be payed that much depending on how long the contract is.

Obviously, imo they need to get it done soon, it won't cost as much or be as difficult and everyone would be much happier plus I think he's way more important to us than a Dockery any day.

I don't think a player like Cooley is quite gonna break the bank, but considering what Dockery and a few other guards and not-worty got, and what we gave guys like Archuletta, Lloyd and Randle-El, I hope we start talking with Taylor and Cooley immediately, because I'm not sure we can pay Cooley what he'll get elsewhere if we wait and Taylor -well- I'm sure he's wanting something done soon and better/cheaper now...it will ONLY get more expensive with each year.

hes top 10 TE, probably top 5 in the NFC. only ones i can think of who are just as good or better are shockey, crumpler. hes better than witten, and LJ smith is in a super heavy pass offense.

obviously gonzalez and gates are better, but gates is the only receiver SD has, and gonzalez is the best receiever on the cheifs. all of the top flight catching TEs come from teams without great receiving corps. falcons have no one, SD has no one, KC has no one.

Jino... You are dead wrong. If Visanthe Shiancoe can get $18 million over 5 years with $8 mil guaranteed money, than Cooley is worth TWICE that amount. Not just to Redskins fans either. If Chaos was a free agent he would get plenty of suiters.

Do`nt be over pessimistic about last seasons numbers. Especially when you are talking about the "worth" of a player like Cooley who commands respect on the field. Santana did`nt catch a ton of footballs last year either... But that does`nt mean he could not have caught more. Brunell and the Saunders scheme were not exactly a match made in heavan bro.

Cooley IS a bigtime playmaker... And made a few highlight reel grabs even last season. He is a monster threat in the redzone, and one of only a handful of TEs that can truly stretch the field.

I personally could not disagree with you more on this one.

I think Cooley is by far an above average TE. He will be paid top five when all is said and done. Honestly, the Skins "need" him right now! He will make more than Shockey! He will get his chances this upcoming season, the second season under Saunders. I am glad that I read the other day, that Gibbs said they are working on a long-term contract for him!! If he stays healthy, he is in the top five. I do not think this is bias talking! However, it may be. I just really, really, like the guy! Who has the most receptions, at TE, as a Skin in a season?

He is a real chain mover. He deserves a top 5 contract. Basically, behind

Vernon Davis

Tony Gonzalez

Antonio Gates

Jason Witten

somewhere in that ballpark

I agree but dude you really ought to consider dumping your Gay Sig :)

Archived