Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cooley's Upcoming Contract

Jino

I'm sure Cooley will get his money, Snyder knows he's a popular player and he hasn't been sitting out OTAs and not returning phone calls like ST. I love ST as a player, but I have to admit, I'm getting tired of his not showing up and not communicating with anyone. At least Shawn Springs told the media why he wasn't at OTAs. Cooley's making a lot less money than Taylor but is showing a lot more class.

Cooley is far better than Shockey, and I'd probably take him over Whitten as well. It's not like he's had great QBs (or even good ones at times) throwing him the ball. A $10m SB will seem like a bargain compared to what he'd get on the open market.

I'm not saying they should go overboard with it. But, his character & attitude is worth SOMETHING. They should go the extra mile to take care of the "core skins" they refer to so much about.

What, you think other guys in the locker room won't take notice of that? You can't play "favorites" without pissing a lot of other Redskins off. A move like that could be disastrous for this team. They should pay Cooley his appropriate value and hopefully it won't be too much.

I don't think we have to worry about Cooley. Snyder realizes he's a fan favorite. Snyder is a businessman and if Cooley sells more tickets and merchandise he will stay on the team. Same goes for taylor, but I don't know if its as much. I'm just worried that will overpay - we need to be aggressive cause we don't have that much money.

Contrary to what the board thinks, I don't Cooley is going to get a monster of a contract. He isn't a top 3 tight end. Nor is he a superstar playmaker. What he is, is a solid catching tight end. He probably compares to Jason Witten in terms of production.

However, it's his persona that endears himself to fans. So let's be realistic of what Cooley is going to get and please don't over-estimate his abilities. Take him for what he is, an above average TE, not a superstar like Antonio Gates

Dude, I totally agree with you 100%. Chris Cooley is a solid player in a solid system, but that's about it. I mean he has the physical tools to be a good player and all, but I don't ever think he'll be an Alge Crumpler, Tony Gonzalez, or an Antonio Gates, because of his height and speed issues. Now I know I'm going to get burned on this, but I am the biggest Cooley supporter like everyone else and think he is all we need, and that he should get a nice contract due to his performance thus far, but I'm just being honest when I say "he should not get paid top 5 TE money."

Chris Cooley without a doubt is a top 10 TE. IMO, he's better than Witten, in that he makes bigger plays, and Shockey is just living off of a good rep backed up with good stats. Cooley is a TE who practically plays like a second WR.

I agree but dude you really ought to consider dumping your Gay Sig :)

yeah yeah, i have some at home that are a lot funnier, this is the only one on my comp, so i'm stuck with it, i'll switch it tomorrow when i go home.

He is a play maker and a top 5 tightend...don't see how you guys don't think that. Stats don't lie, Gates is #1, Gonzalez 2, Shockey, Cooley, Heap, Witten are similar filling out the top. Miller needs to catch more balls and he'll join the group. Cooley deserves what we pay him, heck we'll ask him to restructure in 3 years anyway...

Gates:

160 catches

2025 yards

19 TD's

30 catches over 20 yards

1 catches over 40 yards

111 first downs

Gonzalez

151 catches

1805 yards

7 TD's

18 over 20 yards

1 over 40 yards

99 first downs

Cooley:

128 catches

1508 yards

13 TD's

18 over 20 yards

2 over 40 yards

77 first downs

Shockey

131 catches

1514 yards

14 td's

14 over 20 yards

1 over 40 yards

83 first downs

Heap:

148 catches

1620 yards

13 td's

19 over 20 yards

1 over 40 yards

83 first downs

Witten:

130 catches

1511 yards

7 td's

17 over 20 yards

1 over 40

77 first downs

This season he needs to get back to the basics and catch the ball, continue to run over guys down field and be a target in the redzone.

Contrary to what the board thinks, I don't Cooley is going to get a monster of a contract. He isn't a top 3 tight end. Nor is he a superstar playmaker. What he is, is a solid catching tight end. He probably compares to Jason Witten in terms of production.

However, it's his persona that endears himself to fans. So let's be realistic of what Cooley is going to get and please don't over-estimate his abilities. Take him for what he is, an above average TE, not a superstar like Antonio Gates

Agreed. I dont think Cooley is an elite TE. He's a little bit above average. Just like you said.

I don't really think personality is why everyone wants to see him to retire here. Character is the icing on the cake. The fact is reguardless of how you think he measures up against other elite TEs in the league, his real value is in how important he is to this team. I could care less, but I think the team will pay him serious money because we can't even think about letting him test free agency.

Well said GFunk.

Cooley may not be Gonzalez or Gates talent or numbers wise.

But there is no way you can say that he isn't as valuable to his team as they are to theirs. Cooley is as clutch a tight end as their is in football..

He's also basically been our number 2 receiver for the last couple years.

Cooley is one guy I would love to see us overpay because his value goes way beyond his actual numbers or talent.

Oh and wow does it take a brave (or stupid) person to come onto this board and compare Cooley to Whitten in any fashion.

Thanks IwanttobeGM for the stats.

Cooley is being vastly underrated by some folks in this thread.

On top of that, being the fact that Cooley is indeed a fan favorite, the Skins would be facing a public relations disaster if they let Cooley walk.

Also consider the possiblility that if we did let Cooley leave we'd have to find a replacement for him and considering the fact that we were very close to spending a top 5 pick on Kellen Winslow a few years ago I suspect we'd look at spending our 1st or 2nd round pick next year on a TE. So letting Cooley go to save a few bucks will not only cost us a very good player, give the Skins a black eye with the fans but in all likelihood a very early draft pick as well to fill the void.

Just sign him now please and stop with the nonsense.

On top of that, being the fact that Cooley is indeed a fan favorite, the Skins would be facing a public relations disaster if they let Cooley walk.

:laugh: yeah can you imagine??

Snyder's approval rating would be lower than George W.'s I think!

Especially if we let Cooley go and he went to Dallas :doh: or another NFC East team to spite us.

We have gotten Cooley on the cheap for the past three years. He led this team in Receptions this past season with more yards and catches than Randle El and Lloyd combined. Without his production this offense would have been a disaster, the only player that gives us a possession threat. He has raised his average ypc from 8.5 yards to 12.9 yards in three seasons and is a consistent End zone threat.

If a tight end is going to give you 60 catches and 750 yards and 6TD's a year please lets not underestimate his abilities and give him the contract he should already have and thoroughly deserves.

As you can see in IWANTOBEGM's post, Cooleys stats are top 5 when it comes to receptions. And that doesn't account for his blocking ability. He is a good blocker, which is a key for our TEs. Shockey and Gonzalez are known for taking pride in their blocking on the edge and in the second level. Witten is a very solid blocker, and so is Cooley. Cooley's speed is constantly underestimated which is a big reason why he breaks tackls and creates big plays. Also... he is our biggest red zone receiving threat. He led the teams in receptions this year, and was right behind moss the year before. There is also the fact that he is practically injury-free.

Despite what many say about him being "just a solid player, not worth over-paying"... he is a complete tight end whos stats match up with the best of them, and has the respect of the fans and players. Finding him in the second round was that 'diamond in the rough' people are always talking about.

Pay the man the money he is due and will keep earning in B&G, and lets move onto the next topic.

I think he will get around 6 years 38 million with 16 mill in bonuses

I agree, this is about right.

As mentioned Shiancoe gets 5 years 18 Million and he has 35 career receptions.

D.Graham gets 5 years 30 Million ($15 Million guaranteed) career high 38 receptions.

Compare him to Witten if you want.

When it comes to production, he's been very consistant.

He should get more then Graham as I think he's more valuable.

Soime comparison Contracts

Heap

signed in 05

6 yr 30 mil 11 mil bonus

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2218

tony Gonzalez

signed in 05

5 yr contract

17.75 mil guaranteed

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1331

Witten

signed in 06

6 yr 29 mil

6 mil signing bonus + 6 mil option bonus

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1990

Gates

signed in 05

6 yr 24 mil

6 mil SB and 10 -11 mil total guaranteed

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFL&id=611

Shockey

signed in 05

5 yr 26 mil

3 mil signing bonus and an initial roster bonus of 7.5 mil so 10.5 mil in bonus money was paid his first year. NICE cap move.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFL&id=981

With those contracts as bench marks I think Cooleys will be between Heap and Witten with the natural yearly increases of about 10 %.

So I would say

6 yr 36 mil

14 mil guaranteed.

That will still be less the Landry's probable contract and about the same as Randel and and the boys from last year.

Also by the way in case some are wondering

2007 Franchise and Transition amounts for a TE

Franchise = 4.371 mil

Transition = 3.612 mil

A Transition player must be offered a minimum of the average of the top 10 salaries of last season at the player's position or 120% of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. A transition player designation gives the club a first-refusal right to match within seven days an offer sheet given to the player by another club after his contract expires. If the club matches, it retains the player. If it does not match, it receives no compensation

An Exclusive Franchise player is offered a minimum of the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of April 15, or 120% of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. If the player is offered a minimum of the average of the top five salaries of last season at his position, he becomes a "non-exclusive" franchise player and can negotiate with other clubs. His old club can match a new club's offer or receive two first-round draft choices if it decides not to match

Adding about ten percent to that it will cost a little less then 5 mil to Franchise him next year should it come to that.

At this point, I'd be very surprised if Cooley signs with Washington.

A) A deal, or at least some negotiations should have happened by now. I've heard of nothing.

B) There is no reason to believe that this team will all of the suddenly start valuing their own players accurately. They didn't know the value of Pierce, Clark, Harris, Dockery and they don't know the value of the duds from other teams that they overpay.

C) There is really no cap space to get this move done. The team is approaching a situation where they have guys who are in the to 10 in salary at almost every starting position. The salary structure will not allow for paying Cooley as a top 5 TE, which is his market value.

I've been saying for three years that signing guys like AA, Andre Carter, Lloyd, Fletcher and renegotiating Thomas, Jansen, Samuels to clear current year cap room is going to prevent the signing of the only real young studs on the team. Dockery was in this group. Cooley and Taylor are really the only other premium young players, and you can pretty much count on them playing out their rookie contracts and signing with Buffalo, Miami or Denver.

He's definitely Top 10, probably Top 5. He should get paid like it. Plus, if he's not a "Core Redskin", then I don't know who is.

Also by the way in case some are wondering

2007 Franchise and Transition amounts for a TE

Franchise = 4.371 mil

Transition = 3.612 mil

A Transition player must be offered a minimum of the average of the top 10 salaries of last season at the player's position or 120% of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. A transition player designation gives the club a first-refusal right to match within seven days an offer sheet given to the player by another club after his contract expires. If the club matches, it retains the player. If it does not match, it receives no compensation

An Exclusive Franchise player is offered a minimum of the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of April 15, or 120% of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. If the player is offered a minimum of the average of the top five salaries of last season at his position, he becomes a "non-exclusive" franchise player and can negotiate with other clubs. His old club can match a new club's offer or receive two first-round draft choices if it decides not to match

Adding about ten percent to that it will cost a little less then 5 mil to Franchise him next year should it come to that.

You did your homework on that one. Good job.

At this point, I'd be very surprised if Cooley signs with Washington.

A) A deal, or at least some negotiations should have happened by now. I've heard of nothing.

B) There is no reason to believe that this team will all of the suddenly start valuing their own players accurately. They didn't know the value of Pierce, Clark, Harris, Dockery and they don't know the value of the duds from other teams that they overpay.

C) There is really no cap space to get this move done. The team is approaching a situation where they have guys who are in the to 10 in salary at almost every starting position. The salary structure will not allow for paying Cooley as a top 5 TE, which is his market value.

I've been saying for three years that signing guys like AA, Andre Carter, Lloyd, Fletcher and renegotiating Thomas, Jansen, Samuels to clear current year cap room is going to prevent the signing of the only real young studs on the team. Dockery was in this group. Cooley and Taylor are really the only other premium young players, and you can pretty much count on them playing out their rookie contracts and signing with Buffalo, Miami or Denver.

A. They have been discussing an extension, the put talks on hold at the start of FA and said they would resume this summer.

B. Very true, we can only hope.

C. We have plenty of cap space available or too make, even if we cut no one else is cut we will have over 7 mil in space on June 1st.

Archived