Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cooley's Upcoming Contract

Jino

That's good news if true, do you have a link to support this?

It was in a article a while back, would have to look for it.

I can't locate the article so I emailed a few people, will post it when I get a response.

I didn't want to read this thread because I thought I was the only one here thinking along these lines. When the Skins want to get something done they do it quickly and almost every time I've seen them drag there feet it means they are gone. I like Cooley a lot, but at this point I will be surprised if they keep him as well. I hope they do but if nothing is done before the first game nothing will be done this season and then he will want to test FA and I doubt we put the Franchise tag on him to keep him. I believe its now or never time for Cooley.

At this point, I'd be very surprised if Cooley signs with Washington.

A) A deal, or at least some negotiations should have happened by now. I've heard of nothing.

B) There is no reason to believe that this team will all of the suddenly start valuing their own players accurately. They didn't know the value of Pierce, Clark, Harris, Dockery and they don't know the value of the duds from other teams that they overpay.

C) There is really no cap space to get this move done. The team is approaching a situation where they have guys who are in the to 10 in salary at almost every starting position. The salary structure will not allow for paying Cooley as a top 5 TE, which is his market value.

I've been saying for three years that signing guys like AA, Andre Carter, Lloyd, Fletcher and renegotiating Thomas, Jansen, Samuels to clear current year cap room is going to prevent the signing of the only real young studs on the team. Dockery was in this group. Cooley and Taylor are really the only other premium young players, and you can pretty much count on them playing out their rookie contracts and signing with Buffalo, Miami or Denver.

I think he played top 5 calliber ball the last couple years and that is the money he will want.

That is due in part to the Gibbs' fixation in using his H-Back as an all aroung catch all for what ails the offense.

I just wonder if Eker will take away some of the things that Cooley does. In other words, will we see less of Cooley on running plays or red zone plays.

That's good news if true, do you have a link to support this?

According to JLC I was wrong, I could have sworn I read that a few times, but there still is talk of it starting this summer.

Here is JLC's response

Robert, as of the draft weekend they had not initiated talks but the sides expect to get the ball rolling in June or July. I would be shocked if they didn't work ahrd to hammer it out before the start of the season, but he's not going to come cheap, that's for sure.

Thanks for writing and have a great weekend.

if you actually look at game film, and then look at this stats, he compares VERY VERY favorably with Antonio Gates and Tony Gonzalez. He has consistently put up 600-800 yards a year with 6+ td's. He is one of the best at after contact and after catch. He is a real chain mover. He deserves a top 5 contract. Basically, behind

Vernon Davis

Tony Gonzalez

Antonio Gates

Jason Witten

somewhere in that ballpark

He has to do something before I'd put him in this class. KWII had better stats than Davis did and I wouldn't put KWII in this class.

I'm positive there will be more than a few teams willing to overpay for Cooley's services should he hit the free agency market. There would have been a lot of teams willing to overpay for Betts' services if he had not re-signed with the Skins, and he's only achieved a fraction of what Cooley has in terms of production, reliability and staying healthy.

Here's to hoping both the Skins AND Cooley work towards keeping him here and paying him what he's worth...plus a little more just cuz I like him so damn much lol.

He's a great player and a core Skin. I got no problem paying a little over market value to keep him here. Would be a great sign.

With that said I FULLY EXPECT Cooley to leave in FA next year. If we had a FO worth a damn we would have given him a 7 year extension LAST year, like what the Eagles seem to be able to do(resign guys to long term deals just before they hit their prime).

At this point, I'd be very surprised if Cooley signs with Washington.

A) A deal, or at least some negotiations should have happened by now. I've heard of nothing.

B) There is no reason to believe that this team will all of the suddenly start valuing their own players accurately. They didn't know the value of Pierce, Clark, Harris, Dockery and they don't know the value of the duds from other teams that they overpay.

C) There is really no cap space to get this move done. The team is approaching a situation where they have guys who are in the to 10 in salary at almost every starting position. The salary structure will not allow for paying Cooley as a top 5 TE, which is his market value.

I've been saying for three years that signing guys like AA, Andre Carter, Lloyd, Fletcher and renegotiating Thomas, Jansen, Samuels to clear current year cap room is going to prevent the signing of the only real young studs on the team. Dockery was in this group. Cooley and Taylor are really the only other premium young players, and you can pretty much count on them playing out their rookie contracts and signing with Buffalo, Miami or Denver.

A. We had Free Agency and the Draft which kinda takes presidence over his contract since he is signed for this year.

B. Pierce has been solid, but not pro-bowl and a little nicked up. Clark was all but benched last year. Dockery was WAY overpaid by Buffalo-we were smart for not overpaying for him. Harris was one lucky SOB last year. Lot's of INT's off tipped passes- at least half of them. We resigned alot of guys this offseason to extensions.

C. As of the other day we are approx. 5.3 million under the cap and that doesn't include the David Patten cut that will be official June 1st. Plus, most contracts are backloaded and the bonus is spread over the years. Have we ever been in cap hell? NO.

D. Fletcher signing will be good, but he hasn't played a down yet. renegotiating Samuels, Jansen and Thomas solidified our line, ACTUALLY cleared cap space and keeps them in Redskin uniforms. Isn't that what you want? Cooley is signed throught this year and ST has to wait, but he'll get his. Let him play out his rookie contract. By that time it will be 2011 and we may have a better player coming in behind him.

I can't beleive how much whining goes on in here. Do you guys know how hard it was for some of us to see Art Monk in a Jets/Eagles uniform? Spit happens. Did we sit around and whine about it? No. You just move on to the next player. Nature of the business. Gary Clark ended his career with the Cardinals and Dolphins.

Back then, there wasn't true FA, as players were picked up when released. But now, with FA, 99% of the players will end up in another uniform at one point or another. There will be fewer Darrell Greens/Jackie Slaters and alot more Bill Romanowskis/Deion Sanders in the league now.

Contrary to what the board thinks, I don't Cooley is going to get a monster of a contract. He isn't a top 3 tight end. Nor is he a superstar playmaker. What he is, is a solid catching tight end. He probably compares to Jason Witten in terms of production.

However, it's his persona that endears himself to fans. So let's be realistic of what Cooley is going to get and please don't over-estimate his abilities. Take him for what he is, an above average TE, not a superstar like Antonio Gates

I couldn't dissagree with you more. I think that Cooley is an extremely important part of this team and that he should be treated as such.

Look. In the end, as of right now..

BRANDON LLOYD EARNS MORE MONEY THAN COOLEY.

There's something terribly wrong with that. Something's gotta change because in terms of production vs. pay, Cooley is getting ripped off.

Randel-El also makes more than Cooley right now, but he actually scores TD's and provides veteran leadership and an x-factor on offense...so no great injustice there.

But Cooley getting less than Lloyd? Disgraceful.

You can't renegotiate all the player contracts everytime someone moves ahead of another. It would be impossible. Cooley played out his rookie contract. Lloyd played out his and got a new one. That's just the way it is. Relax guys, it's not like you are getting the money.

Tony G.

Year TM | G | Rec Yards Y/R TD |

+----------+-----+-------------------------+

| 1997 kan | 16 | 33 368 11.2 2 |

| 1998 kan | 16 | 59 621 10.5 2 |

| 1999 kan | 15 | 76 849 11.2 11 |

| 2000 kan | 16 | 93 1203 12.9 9 |

| 2001 kan | 16 | 73 917 12.6 6 |

| 2002 kan | 16 | 63 773 12.3 7 |

| 2003 kan | 16 | 71 916 12.9 10 |

| 2004 kan | 16 | 102 1258 12.3 7 |

| 2005 kan | 16 | 78 905 11.6 2 |

| 2006 kan | 15 | 73 900 12.3 5 |

A. Gates

| 2003 sdg | 15 | 24 389 16.2 2 |

| 2004 sdg | 15 | 81 964 11.9 13 |

| 2005 sdg | 15 | 89 1101 12.4 10 |

| 2006 sdg | 16 | 71 924 13.0 9 |

J. Witten

| 2003 dal | 15 | 35 347 9.9 1 |

| 2004 dal | 16 | 87 980 11.3 6 |

| 2005 dal | 16 | 66 757 11.5 6 |

| 2006 dal | 16 | 64 754 11.8 1 |

C. Cooley

| 2004 was | 16 | 37 314 8.5 6 |

| 2005 was | 16 | 71 774 10.9 7 |

| 2006 was | 16 | 57 734 12.9 6 |

J. Shockey

| 2002 nyg | 15 | 74 894 12.1 2 |

| 2003 nyg | 9 | 48 535 11.1 2 |

| 2004 nyg | 15 | 61 666 10.9 6 |

| 2005 nyg | 15 | 65 891 13.7 7 |

| 2006 nyg | 15 | 66 623 9.4 7 |

I think he compares very well to those guys in their first three years. Gates and Gonzo are obviously a notch above the rest of the league. I'd say Cooley is at least a top 8 and possibly top 5 receiving TE right now.

We resigned alot of guys this offseason to extensions.

I'll address this point. The only contracts that were extended were for guys who were playing on big money deals already -- these events were really renegotiations. In Jansen's case we extended him technically, but it was motivated by the need to save money in the current year, and simply pushed commitments into the future. A bad way of doing business, but the Skins are in denial on that. The last true, significant extension that has happened (and the only one I can think of under Gibbs) was Betts. In all other cases, we were paying someone else's player, or pushing money into the future.

Sure there is a shot that Cooley will re-sign, but it is definitely an "if" and not a "when." You just have to look at recent history... Even Betts was about to be replaced by an outside party (Duckett, at great expense) before his performance changed things.

I think he played top 5 calliber ball the last couple years and that is the money he will want.

I think he played top calibur from nothing but all determination. He seems undersized but plays with all heart. Even banging some cheerleaders on the side. He deserves a respectable contract for his effort but he is no way elite.

I disagree man. If you go to other team forums, alot of them have threads about how they want Taylor and Cooley after we release them.

Not to be picky, but I honestly am confused...do you mean if we let them walk in free agency? Because if any poster, on any board, anywhere actually thinks we are releasing Cooley they apparently are living in another universe. (And yes, I know the same could be said for Taylor, but at least with him there are hints of a contract issue).

You got to hand it to Cooley though. He took his contract, played through it without any qualms like a man. No protesting, no hints that he wants a new contract or indication that he would hold out. Very classy how he handled his contract situation.

I think he played top calibur from nothing but all determination. He seems undersized but plays with all heart. Even banging some cheerleaders on the side. He deserves a respectable contract for his effort but he is no way elite.

Good point, we should probably include a cheerleader rotation in the contract talks.

What makes Cooley a top 5 TE is his heart and determination. You can hit him for a 5 yard screen pass, and he's going to do everything in his power to make it to the endzone. I mean you saw the Dallas game, he literally runs people over like a damn tank!

I think he also possesses quite a bit of speed for a guy his size, and his hands are excellent.

We should definitely lock Cooley up and make him a lifelong Redskin.

if you actually look at game film, and then look at this stats, he compares VERY VERY favorably with Antonio Gates and Tony Gonzalez. He has consistently put up 600-800 yards a year with 6+ td's. He is one of the best at after contact and after catch. He is a real chain mover. He deserves a top 5 contract. Basically, behind

Vernon Davis

Tony Gonzalez

Antonio Gates

Jason Witten

somewhere in that ballpark

Amen to that! He may look a tad slow, a tad short, and not quite as athletic as Tony G., Gates or Crumlper ... but, his numbers don't lie. He is one of the top 5 TE's in the NFC at least, as far as production is concerned. And that's really all that matters in the grand scheme of things.

Sometimes a players' mental abilities allows them to overcome obstacles and situations in games, where other players might use sheer athletic ability. It does not matter how fast he runs a 40, or how high he jumps over a defender to get a ball. You know that when he cathces it, if he even has a split second to turn up field, it will not be easy bringing him down and he will most likely rumble for another 10-20 yards dopwn field. Did I mention he has really soft hands?

Perosnally I don't think he going to make us break the bank, and I think he is more valubale to us than he would be in another team's offensive system. That being said I have no doubt he wants to remain a Redskin for his career, and I know that the FO feels the same way. This will get done, he will get enough $$$ to satisfy him ... because he knows if he retires here, the opportunities that will be available to him after his playing career is over will make up for any money that he does not get in a player contract. He is set to be the man in DC for a long, long time if he continues on the path he is now!

Amen to that! He may look a tad slow, a tad short, and not quite as athletic as Tony G., Gates or Crumlper ... but, his numbers don't lie. He is one of the top 5 TE's in the NFC at least, as far as production is concerned. And that's really all that matters in the grand scheme of things.

Sometimes a players' mental abilities allows them to overcome obstacles and situations in games, where other players might use sheer athletic ability. It does not matter how fast he runs a 40, or how high he jumps over a defender to get a ball. You know that when he cathces it, if he even has a split second to turn up field, it will not be easy bringing him down and he will most likely rumble for another 10-20 yards dopwn field. Did I mention he has really soft hands?

Perosnally I don't think he going to make us break the bank, and I think he is more valubale to us than he would be in another team's offensive system. That being said I have no doubt he wants to remain a Redskin for his career, and I know that the FO feels the same way. This will get done, he will get enough $$$ to satisfy him ... because he knows if he retires here, the opportunities that will be available to him after his playing career is over will make up for any money that he does not get in a player contract. He is set to be the man in DC for a long, long time if he continues on the path he is now!

I don't usuaslly quote myslef, but I realize my previous post is a bit homeristic (regarding his post player career .also) ... but he could get more money as a FA somewhere else, but will he thrive in that offense like he does here? Would he be a #2 posession receiver like he is here? I'm sure some team will offer it to him should he make it to FA ... and if he makes it to FA he may be all but lost. But I have faith it won't get to that. We'll re-sign Cooley before the season starts. And then next offseason we will work on re-signing Taylor. <fingers crossed>

Archived