8) Game Boy

7) Nintendo 64

6) Sega Genesis

5) Game Boy Advance

4) Sony Playstation 2

3) Nintendo Entertainment System

2) Super Nintendo Entertainment System

1) Sony Playstation 1

I think Xbox deserves to be on this list. This list is loaded with great consoles but Sony seems a little favoritized. Maybe I'm bias towards Super Nintendo and regular Nintendo because of what generation I grew up in, but PS 1 doesn't stand out to me as the greatest console ever. No way it can be over NES, much less SNES & Atari 2600...PS 1 should be #4.

It's actually a pretty solid and on-target list. Sony PS1 was not as capable as later rival N64, but yet it still basically beat that system out. The games kept getting better and better for PS1, and the Final Fantasy or any other Sqaresoft games were simply beautiful on that system. Even when comparing those graphics now to newer games, they aren't that bad.

The only change I would not be surprised to see is SNES over PS1. Both of those systems were strong for their time, tons of games, appealed to all ages, etc.... N64's problem was that it only appealed to a people under 12 crowd and group games for kids.

XBox is not on the list simply cause it is not that great of a system. The common knock from gamers I know is that XBox is the "frat boy system". All it featured was Halo and Sports games. XBox Live really saved that system, so people could just play Halo or sports games online now. When compared to PS2, there weren't as many good games for it.

It does look like XBox 360 is shedding that old role, but I haven't really talked with any gamers for a while. Wii and that one are beating the PS3 at least.

dreamcast is still my personal favorite system... it was so poorly marketed and way ahead of its time.

I couldn't agree with you more. My Dreamcast still gets dragged out from time to time for a round of Marvel Vs Capcom 2

it was hackers paradise for consoles...

I figured that the Xbox would be more of a hackers paridise than the DC. You could run so much more junk on the Xbox. :)

SNES... w/ Street Fighter 2.

Exactly.

Street Fighter II, and Street Fighter II Turbo were so sweet. The Donkey Kong Country series, Super Metroid, Super Mario World, Mario Kart, F-Zero, Mortal Kombat(s), Killer Instinct, Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past, Sim City, Chrono Trigger, NBA Jam, Tecmo Super Bowl, Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball, TMNT: Turtles in Time (maybe best beat 'em up ever), NHL '94 through '98, Star Fox, Castlevania 4, Contra 3, Star Wars series, Earthbound...I could go on and on, SNES was the ****!!

Exactly.

Street Fighter II, and Street Fighter II Turbo were so sweet. The Donkey Kong Country series, Super Metroid, Super Mario World, Super Mario World, Mario Kart, F-Zero, Mortal Kombat(s), Killer Instinct, Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past, Sim City, Chrono Trigger, NBA Jam, Tecmo Super Bowl, Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball, TMNT: Turtles in Time (maybe best beat 'em up ever), NHL '94 through '98, Star Fox, Castlevania 4, Contra 3, Star Wars series, Earthbound...I could go on and on, SNES was the ****!!

Don't forget the greatest game of all time..."Mario is Missing!" :D

Sweet sweet education

It's actually a pretty solid and on-target list. Sony PS1 was not as capable as later rival N64, but yet it still basically beat that system out. The games kept getting better and better for PS1, and the Final Fantasy or any other Sqaresoft games were simply beautiful on that system. Even when comparing those graphics now to newer games, they aren't that bad.

The only change I would not be surprised to see is SNES over PS1. Both of those systems were strong for their time, tons of games, appealed to all ages, etc.... N64's problem was that it only appealed to a people under 12 crowd and group games for kids.

XBox is not on the list simply cause it is not that great of a system. The common knock from gamers I know is that XBox is the "frat boy system". All it featured was Halo and Sports games. XBox Live really saved that system, so people could just play Halo or sports games online now. When compared to PS2, there weren't as many good games for it.

It does look like XBox 360 is shedding that old role, but I haven't really talked with any gamers for a while. Wii and that one are beating the PS3 at least.

Xbox Live revolutionized gaming. System linkage would spur awesome times with friends, and Microsoft connected to the jaw of Sony while it was attempting to wipe Nintendo from the Earth and become a Monopoly. Xbox had better graphics than PS 2, and while PS 2 had better gameplay in its library, it didn't add up to the gameplay of Gamecube; and definitely not to the best games on the Xbox. It was a happy medium, not the 4th best console ever. As for PS 1, it had some great games for sure...I loved the Nascar games and that car-shooter game Twisted Metal (although it was incredibly hard). PS 1 might have changed the direction of CD games, but it was bound to happen anyway. I wouldn't credit them with #1 for it...but that's just me.

Archived