Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Landry get paid more than Taylor?

Angus

Taylor has been in the league for 3 years and was only one slot above Landry in the draft. So yes he will get paid more because his slot where he was drafted is worth more end of story.

And that's the reality of the NFL's somewhat messed up system.

However I think Taylor knows that next offseason will be his big payday from us. So he plays his ass off...makes another probowl...then sits back and watches the money roll in...he has nothing to worry about.

Taylor is under contract for 3 more years, with the 4th year voidable.....they should offer him a decent bonus to make that 7th year unvoidable. If he would agree to do so for a 6 mil bonus (4 SB, an 2 RB in 2009), that wouldn't be a big cap hit for the team.

Current Cap Hits

2007: 2.45

2008: 1.91

2009: 2.15

New Cap Hits

2007: 3.45

2008: 2.91

2009: 4.15

2010: 3.35

Taylor was a #5 pick, Landry #6. Landry's initial contract should not be more than Taylor's for this fact alone, never mind that Taylor has proven himself now and should receive a huge payday when we resign him this season. :)

And if he does, will that cause problems? Sometimes these salaries for high picks cause resentment.

:mad:

yes. he will probably make more money than any other safety in the nfl. michael huff was the best paid safety last season and its going to continue with landry. but who cares? once taylor asks for a new contract he will by far be the best paid safety.

Landry will get more because each year the slary cap goes up, and so does the rookie pool. Taylor signed his contract three years ago when the price for a #5 drfat pick was lower than it is now. Also, Taylor did not sign the greatest deal in the world, hence why he fired his agent. Landry gets more money because every year player salaries increase.

Draft picks make a certain percentage more each year based on where they are picked. It's quite possible that the #6 pick in this draft will make more than the #5 pick from 3 drafts ago. Without looking it up, I would bet that last year's #6 pick in the draft has a fatter contract than Taylor.

Taylor and his agent should understand this concept. Just as the team should understand that when Taylor's contract is up, he'll more than likely be asking to become one of the richest defensive players in the league.

IMO, it's going to be difficult keep both Landry and Taylor for the long term.

Landry will make slightly more than last year's 6th pick (TE Vernon Davis) because rookie contracts are almost always slotted these days. The 49ers paid Davis $23 million over 5 years last year, so expect Landry to get a slight increase over that.

Sean Taylor signed a 7 year contract in 2004, worth a hair under $18 million, that doesn’t expire until 2010. He’ll never see the end of that contract. In the next year or two, if he continues to excel, he’ll renegotiate and extend for big up-front money to both make him happy and keep his salary in line with whatever they’re paying Landry.

Taylor and his agent understand how it works, even if Westbrook36 doesn't. The apples and oranges comparisons with the Pierce and Smoot situations are either brainless or simple trolling, so my recommendation is not to waste your time or let the silliness hijack the thread. :)

He isn't allowed to. Going by long standing Redskins doctrine, no lesser player can make more money than a better established player.

If he demands more than Taylor, they should release Landry because they will be justified in sticking with their mantra. Just ask Smmooooooot and Pierce.

Release him? :doh:

Clark+Black+average pay= Taylor is good, but Clark must coach him/does not play to full potential

Arch+White+payday= Taylor plays like gabbage, makes big hits/goes to Hawaii

Landry+Black+payday=Taylor Pro Bowl, independent Taylor, nasty taylor,

Rosenhaus+White= never heard from again

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?!?!!?

sorry Ima drunk

You should run for congress. You have my vote.

I don't see how i wouldn't cause problems. Sean Taylor is an established player in the NFL, all of a sudden LL comes in and the media is making it seem like he's the best thing since sliced bread, plus he gets a fatter check than Taylor?

I think there will be a little resentment there underneath the surface.

If Betts was resigned for more than what Portis makes, there will be resentment, same here.

The question is if they can work through the resentment. Both are young players so we'll see.

IMO, it's going to be difficult keep both Landry and Taylor for the long term.

I disagree. The Redskins sign whoever they want, when they want. Consider how the Salary Cap is increasing and how our other players are already locked up long term.... The only immediate concerns are Taylor and Cooley. Especially Cooley because Taylor already received over $4 Mil to sign. He'll eventually get about $10 Mil up front I would imagine.

Tony Gonzalez signed $16 Mil in bonuses this year, and I don't think Cooley is to that level quite yet. If I was Cooley's agent I'd be looking to get $10-12 up front, which is more than fair considering what we signed Lloyd and Randle El for. Those two contracts, and Andre Carter's too for that matter, if you look at them closely you will realize that they are fair market value, and cap friendly. None of those deals cost the team more than $3 Mil in cap space for the next couple years.

My point here is that we can sign Landry for his proper allocation, extend Taylor for $15 Mil (2008), Cooley for $10 Mil (2008), and still remain perfectly fine for 3-4 more years under the current CBA. Remember, the Cap this year is $109, and goes up again next year. Plus, older players like Brunell, Wynn, and Springs who cost more may not be with the team in 2008.

We'll be able to keep Taylor, Cooley, and whoever else we WANT to keep so long as the player is in the teams future plans. I would hope Sean and Chris fall into that category.

The market says that he HAS to get paid more. This does not have anything to do with whether Landry is a better player or valued more. When it is time to resign ST he will get market value and his market value should be at the very top as far as I and most Redskin fans are concerned.

You should look at Dockery's new contract with the Bills (and all of the contracts of OGs signed in free agency for that matter) and ask yourself if that means they are better than Steve Hutchinson (apparently his contract ($49 million) was used as the minimum for OGs in free agency this year for some weird reason) They are NOT, period. And if Hutchinson we a free agent then he would get more money than all of them. Those OGs were just lucky in including Dock that there were teams dumb enough to pay that kind of money for an OG. The Steelers are going to have a hell of a time resigning Faneca because of this. And this is why we stayed away from overpaying for an OG in free agency because they were just too damn expensive and for NO good reason but I digress...

I disagree. The Redskins sign whoever they want, when they want. Consider how the Salary Cap is increasing and how our other players are already locked up long term.... The only immediate concerns are Taylor and Cooley. Especially Cooley because Taylor already received over $4 Mil to sign. He'll eventually get about $10 Mil up front I would imagine.

This is simply not true. There are many instances of the Redskins not signing players for cost reasons. I am more than happy to provide examples.

Although the Salary Cap is increasing, player's salaries will trace that increase as well. Hence why Sean Taylor was paid less as the 5th pick in 2004 than Landry will be in 2007 as the 6th pick. Agents aren't stupid; they will enter negotiations knowing full well that the team has (as an example) 7M more to spend in 2007 than they did in 2006. A 6% increase in overall spending necessitates 6% more spent on player contracts.

My point here is that we can sign Landry for his proper allocation, extend Taylor for $15 Mil (2008), Cooley for $10 Mil (2008), and still remain perfectly fine for 3-4 more years under the current CBA. Remember, the Cap this year is $109, and goes up again next year. Plus, older players like Brunell, Wynn, and Springs who cost more may not be with the team in 2008.

Hence the trade off. You cannot have Wynn, Brunell, and Springs on their current salaries AND resign Cooley AND Taylor for 10 and 15M dollars. The Redskins are not unique in the league. We operate under the same rules and limitations as the other 31 teams in the league. If we want to sign Sean Taylor and Chris Cooley to the lucrative contracts their agents demand, than we'll have to cut some people. This isn't the end of the world.

We'll be able to keep Taylor, Cooley, and whoever else we WANT to keep so long as the player is in the teams future plans. I would hope Sean and Chris fall into that category.

The only downside is it might cost us players we also want to include in our future plans. Hence the disadvantage of the Salary Cap -- you cannot have anyone and everyone you want. Tough decisions are required and made every year by the Washington Redskins, just as they are by the other 31 teams in the league. We have the mistaken impression that such decisions aren't made since the Redskins are active in FA.

The market says that he HAS to get paid more. This does not have anything to do with whether Landry is a better player or valued more. When it is time to resign ST he will get market value and his market value should be at the very top as far as I and most Redskin fans are concerned.

I agree! That is why you have to apply the same principle to Smoot and Pierce since they were set to sign their FA contracts 2 years after Washington and Springs signed theirs. I thought the party line trumped out was pretty ridiculous and don't bypass any opportunity to mock it. Does anyone even agree with it now, years later? Pretty ridiculous to try to pass that off on a whole fan base as a legitimate excuse.

I agree! That is why you have to apply the same principle to Smoot and Pierce since they were set to sign their FA contracts 2 years after Washington and Springs signed theirs. I thought the party line trumped out was pretty ridiculous and don't bypass any opportunity to mock it. Does anyone even agree with it now, years later? Pretty ridiculous to try to pass that off on a whole fan base as a legitimate excuse.

I absolutely agree with it. And I still do. Why would you pay your 2nd best LB and your 2nd best CB more than your best at those positions, given that you had just signed the better players the season prior? I could see paying them nearly the same, given market inflation, but not more.

There is absolutely no correlation between the valuation used in draft pick contract slotting (and the inevitable increase from year-to-year) and that used in determining FA contract value.

There is nothing inconsistent in the what the Redskins are doing and you surely must understand that, you're just being a troll. Either that or you truly are a moron on football matters. Which is it?

Landry will get more money than Taylor for the time being, but they're gonna need to extend Taylor soon and then he'll make more money. It's just the way the stupid market dictates salaries for unproven rookies. These guys are making rediculous money for doing nothing, sounds fair.

Archived