Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Draft profiles for Golston and Montgomery??

jivelikenice

Sorry to start a new thread on this but I've been searching for profiles from last years draft on these two guys and haven't had much luck. Does anyone know where I can find them?

At this point I think its fair to say that any improvement from our d-line with be a result from the growth of these two players. Golston seems like a high motor guy to me who ideally would be the #3 tackle but I'm especially curious about Montgomery. He has the fram and upside; I just hope he can step it up....

Hmm, talk about wishful thinking. It would be great if Montgomery turns into an all-star. I'm not seeing it. I think a fair question to ask is how many other teams in the NFL would either of these guys be getting significant playing time for?

Hmm, talk about wishful thinking. It would be great if Montgomery turns into an all-star. I'm not seeing it. I think a fair question to ask is how many other teams in the NFL would either of these guys be getting significant playing time for?

Golston got significant playing time last season mainly because Salave'a was injured...but he made the best of his chance and received a bonus from the league for his play. And DT rotation is a necessity on every team.

Worst case scenario we have two solid rotational DT's that we picked up on the cheap. Best case, one of the two (or dare I say both?) build on what they did last year and cement themselves as solid starters or better......

About Montgomery overall:

What you have to like most about Montgomery is that, unlike most very athletic defensive tackles, he consistently hustles and chases hard after the ball from snap to whistle -- usually his hustle is seen more in over-achieving defensive tackles who are limited athletically. He is going to be a high draft pick because he offers the versatility to be very productive in any type of defense and will be able to start and contribute early in his career -- he will be just as effective playing defensive tackle in a 4-3 defense or defensive end in a 3-4 defense. He will be able to make an impact rushing the passer, on inside runs and chasing down ball carriers on runs away.
Sounds pretty good to me, I heard when we drafted him though he was still a pretty big project. It'll be very interesting to see how these guys develop over the off season and play next year, since I'm certain there'll be a game or two where these are the starters given Griffin's, and especially Big Joe's, recent injury issues.

-----________________--------

This is exactly the point about the posts around here lately-so anything short of being an all star and Montgomery is a bust, give it a rest-please.

If the guy plays well this year and develops the next few, the Redskins got their moneys worth. He was not drafted in hopes he would be a all-star.

I think they both did fine last year. I like that Coach made special mention of them working as they are in the offseason. I'm optimistic for both and if there's a difference between them I think it might be that Montgomery is slightly more physically capable as a nose tackle than perhaps Golston is at under tackle. Just my impressions of them so far.

Basically, things to work on for Golston

Burst and hand work

Burst, do pylometrics like crazy

Hands, get coached up like crazy

interesting enough for both Golston and Montgomery, they can be effective in the nfl playing 3-4 end, Golston could hand it, Daniels could to probably, we just need a 340+ lb NT

Gimmie Walter Thomas or the kid who got kicked off UT PLEASE!

As a note, there were some out there who felt Montgomery was the second best DT prospect behind Bunkley. I assume there were reasons why he dropped, but some people thought highly of him. To me, it sounds like most of his problems are correctable.

Jason

What part was wishful thinking in the messages before yours? One guy said he thought Golston was a third tackle and Monty had a good tackle body with some upside, and another guy posted links that said the same thing even before they were Redskins.

You reply with, "Wishful thinking, garbage, I'm a fool, look at me, keeping it real silly homers, they suck, couldn't play for anyone else." What's the matter with you type of idiots? In a thread there's not even a whiff of goofy giddy behavior, you come in and stomp down the throat of anyone who doesn't immediately state these guys blow?

You deserve all the condemnation the other fans can muster for this type of tripe. I expect better. These guys are in their second year. They both may suck and need to be cut. They both could emerge into something great. Something in the middle could happen. Most fifth and sixth round picks couldn't play for most teams. That's the way the league works.

Whenever someone mentions Thomas' date=' I begin to think about that semi-slow guy from the Longest Yard remake... "Could you teach me to football?"[/quote']

he might be dumb as rocks, literally, he could have the IQ of a rock

but, he has those RAW physical gifts that are just eye popping. People talk about how impressive it was that Joe Thomas ran a sub 5 40 yard dash at 310 lbs.

Walter Thomas, at 375, ran a 4.92, that is just ridicolous athletic ability, he's strong too, and I know it sounds like a blind mancrush, but we need some athletic guys for our line. It's not like he really has to make reads. just tell him to crash into the line, be a presence, draw double teams, he doesn't have to do more then that. it's not like hes going on oline, and you have complicated blocking schemes. a man of his size creates two blitz lanes....... on either side of his body. he needs to lose a lot of weight, but even with that lost weight, he'd still be a huge huge man.

Let me guess. You think teams like the Patriots are smart to draft for depth and let guys like this develop but when we do it they are just stiffs that couldn't play for anybody else.

You reply with, "Wishful thinking, garbage, I'm a fool, look at me, keeping it real silly homers, they suck, couldn't play for anyone else." What's the matter with you type of idiots?

Thanks Art! I am sick of all the negative comments on this site. Members need to read "BANGS" thread about being a fan.

Montgomery, if my memory serves me correctly was injured for a good part of last year. I think Montgomery will have a great impact on the DL and I believe that Wade will be outstanding on the OL.

Anthony Montgomery

Height: 6-5

Weight: 300

40 Speed: 5.36

Position: Defensive Tackle

Senior Year: 41 Tkls, 6 TFL, 3 Sacks

Alan Branch

Height: 6-5 3/4

Weight: 324

40 Speed: 5.27

Senior Year: 25 Tkls, 6 TFL, 2 Sacks

Anthony Montgomery = Alan Branch

Anthony Montgomery

Alan Branch

Absolutely no correlation. Completely different players. Just because stats and weights are the same does not translate what so ever as to how the person will play in the NFL. Ridiculous to compare the two. :rolleyes:

Walter Thomas, at 375, ran a 4.92, that is just ridicolous athletic ability, he's strong too, and I know it sounds like a blind mancrush, but we need some athletic guys for our line. It's not like he really has to make reads. just tell him to crash into the line, be a presence, draw double teams, he doesn't have to do more then that. it's not like hes going on oline, and you have complicated blocking schemes. a man of his size creates two blitz lanes....... on either side of his body. he needs to lose a lot of weight, but even with that lost weight, he'd still be a huge huge man.

Kedric Golston was one of the most athletic DTs at the combine in years...

I like what I see in both Montgomery and Golston. Hopefully both can take the field at some point and time this year. I would like to see Evans, Carter, Golston and Montgomery, at least in the preseason to see what we have to work with over the next few years. If Montgomery can step it up, I think he has more of a chance to crack and stay in the starting lineup this year, because Golston plays the same type as Griffin.

What part was wishful thinking in the messages before yours? One guy said he thought Golston was a third tackle and Monty had a good tackle body with some upside, and another guy posted links that said the same thing even before they were Redskins.

You reply with, "Wishful thinking, garbage, I'm a fool, look at me, keeping it real silly homers, they suck, couldn't play for anyone else." What's the matter with you type of idiots? In a thread there's not even a whiff of goofy giddy behavior, you come in and stomp down the throat of anyone who doesn't immediately state these guys blow?

You deserve all the condemnation the other fans can muster for this type of tripe. I expect better. These guys are in their second year. They both may suck and need to be cut. They both could emerge into something great. Something in the middle could happen. Most fifth and sixth round picks couldn't play for most teams. That's the way the league works.

Good reply. Lets keep the stupid comments to a minimum.

I like what I see in both Montgomery and Golston. Hopefully both can take the field at some point and time this year. I would like to see Evans, Carter, Golston and Montgomery, at least in the preseason to see what we have to work with over the next few years. If Montgomery can step it up, I think he has more of a chance to crack and stay in the starting lineup this year, because Golston plays the same type as Griffin.

What have you seen from Montgomery? I dont recall how many plays he got last year, but it was a significant number less than Golston. I remember the one game where they both started our defense didn't look too good. Do you have any examples of the good things you've seen from these two?

Anthony Montgomery

Alan Branch

24 pounds is a big difference, especially if one is more muscle. A tenth of a second in the 40 may not seem big, but drop Ginn or CJ a tenth of a second and see where they fall (maybe CJ is still 2, but I doubt Ginn goes 9).

Archived