Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Panthers Cut Keyshawn Johnson

RDSKNfaithfull

Crazy thing is that Keyshawn just got paid his April bonus and I think Carolina is still on the hook for a couple million more in bonuses

They did not pay him his $3 mil bonus that was due april first. They gave him $1 mil at that point that they owed him for a previous roster bonus or signing bonus or something like that.

They did not pay him his $3 mil bonus that was due april first. They gave him $1 mil at that point that they owed him for a previous roster bonus or signing bonus or something like that.

That is my understanding as well, He has I think about 3 million total in money that is guaranteed, minus the april 1rst bonus, not that big of a loss ,but I question why they would cut him after a 70 catch season.

That is my understanding as well, He has I think about 3 million total in money that is guaranteed, minus the april 1rst bonus, not that big of a loss ,but I question why they would cut him after a 70 catch season.

There was an article in the Charlotte Observer that pointed to some behind the scenes problems:

http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2007/05/why_panthers_ca.html

Johnson would be a good fit in Tennessee. They lost Drew Bennett via free agency and David Givens is still recovering from an ACL injury. They did draft some receivers in the later rounds and they signed Justin Gage via free agency. Prior to the draft, there were reports that Mike Williams was going to be acquired via trade but he ended up in Oakland.

Another thing to consider is the USC connection: coach Jeff Fischer is a USC alum and Norm Chow was formerly the offensive coordinator at USC.

Glad they cut him. He is a total malcontent and is as slow as humanly possible as an NFL (excuse me) former NFL player could be. If Kathy Bates pulled a Misery on Ricky Prohl, he could still beat Key in a foot race unless they were running from the cops.

The fact that the Panthers coaching staff thought they could take that locker room cancer and have him make a positive contribution on that team was probably the first of what now seems commonplace blunders from this coaching staff. (It’s amazing how quick they have gone from hardly ever looking stupid to whopper after whopper now.) Those quotes he made about the police in LA and the LA riots are probably the worst character quotes I have ever seen from a professional athlete. And that’s saying something. Good riddance Keyshawn. Pro football is better off without you.

There was an article in the Charlotte Observer that pointed to some behind the scenes problems:

http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2007/05/why_panthers_ca.html

Good find on the article, but I live in the Charlotte area and he never made any waves, which is exactly what the article is saying. I hate to tell that sports reporter, but INT's are a team stat. You just can't blame it on one player. Keyshawn actually stood up for Jake during the season when they brought Weinke in. That's just a reporter looking to "dig something up" and come up with the "headliner" in his story that he "broke" the reason why Keyshawn was let go.

I was reading through the comments posted by people on the bottom of that blog entry, and found this one particularly interesting:

Expect more restructring and maybe one or two more suprising cuts to save cap room. The Panthers HAVE to get Peppers locked down soon with a long deal or he will be gone if he hits the free agent market. Also, Steve Smith will be looking for a new contract soon as well...he's been quiet but the top receiver in the league should at least be in the top 10 in regards to pay for receivers. It would be great if we could have pro bowlers and big names at every position like the Redskins only to have to release and move players every year to fit under the cap. Imagine this time next year if we had to wish Pepper goodbye!
Never thought I'd see another team's fan say they wished their team was like us in terms of player/cap management.

ESPN says Tenessee and the NY Giants are very interested in signing MeShawn

I am scared and excited all at once. He won't sign in NY imo, he would back up Burress and Toomer (if healthy) and shockey would take catches too. Would make for insane depth though. If they do sign him i see toomer leaving. Tennessee looks like a great place for him.

Giants | Team may be interested in K. Johnson

Wed, 2 May 2007 16:23:29 -0700

Ralph Vacchiano, of the New York Daily News, reports New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin has not ruled out the possibility that the Giants might try and sign unrestricted free-agent WR Keyshawn Johnson (Panthers), but it is unlikely to occur.

http://kffl.com/hotw/nfl

I don't the Giants are a good fit. The Titans and Chargers make more sense.

nm..just read the roto article. I had read something in the Charlotte paper that didn't give a reason why.

Keyshawn was cut for a lot of reasons that weren't made public. It was said that he was becoming a nusiance in the locker room. He also publicly trashed the Panthers for firing Dan Henning, their offensive coordinator. They also were irked by comments he made about retiring. He basically told them he wasn't even sure if he was coming back or not, after they fired Henning. He basically had worn out his welcome there. It happens. I was surprised, at first, to hear he had been released. But when you factor in everything its not that hard to understand why he was let go. But I will say this. It has pissed off a lot of the fans down here. And if Jarrett doesn't come out and produce next year, heads will probably roll. I look for Marty Hurney (their GM) to be the first to go if Jarrett doesn't produce. And I think this has put undue pressure on the guy to perform. He should have been able to learn from KJ for a year. I think that would have made him a much better player. But, oh well. But I wouldn't feel sorry for KJ. Word has it, he has upwards of 10 teams calling his agent about playing for some other team next year.

Crazy thing is that Keyshawn just got paid his April bonus and I think Carolina is still on the hook for a couple million more in bonuses

The Panthers paid Keyshawn 2 million in April. And they would have had to pay him that regardless of whether he was there or not. Don't know where you get your information from, dude.

No, that's not true. He was given a 2 million bonus in April. And, again, they owed him that whether he was there or not.

Archived