Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

why do you care what the media says?

stoshuaj

I hope this a thread worth starting, my apologies if I'm mistaken.

There seems to be so much hand wringing whenever someone, (Dr.Z, Kiper, espn, the fat guy from Jersey, who's name I can't remember,,,Peter King, that's it, whomever) writes an opinion piece which is less than complimentary of the Redskins.

I understand the desire to "take up for" your team but at what point do you realize that it's moot and just not give a crap what these "experts" have to say?

i dont think its so much about caring, but its just very annoying to see sportswriters who claim to know exactly what a team should do without ever watching tape or scouting players, etc. most media members have no idea exactly what theyre talking about or the x's and o's, but they'll act like what they say is the know all end all. guess that's what theyre paid for, but it's still very annoying especially when they claim the skins will finish dead last in the nfl. just very annoying

I don't care too much what they say. For me, it is annoying that some people get paid and a national spotlight to give their opinions even though they completely ignore the facts. I will usually listen maybe make a comment about it and then let it go. A lot of the sports journalists lose a lot of credibility because they wear their biases on their sleeves for everyone to see.

because people care about the team

just like if someone was bad mouthing your girl in public, you'd be pissed, no?

Actually, if Kiper told the country that my girlfriend "had bust written all over her", I'd be awfully proud. :D

because we really have nothing better to ***** about right now.

ITS THE OFFSEASON!!

Fact is the more and more i hear about how much my beloved SKins are going to suck, and they won't win a single game and this and that, the better i feel. If nobody expects :pooh: from us, its the "Gilbert-ology" chip we can put on our shoulders and go out and put a asswhippin on some teams next year.

McShay.....you suck

Palantonio.....you suck

King......you suck.....but you are getting a little better

Fatso.....you suck and suck and suck some more

Fox Sports.....you suck

Scouts Inc......you suck

Dallas Cowboy fans you suck..........BIG FATSO PASTABELLIES!!!

When the "expert" consensus is that your draft grade is a "D" or an "F" its a cause for concern.

While I don't think that Redskins management should make their decisions based on what these "experts" say, they do play a critical role in helping to critique past missteps. There are plenty of franchises that have taken a lot of heat in the past for poor choices (the Raiders is a perfect example) who seem to have taken a lot of that criticism to heart in a constructive manner.

Let's face it, the Skins have had a horrendous track record in the draft. Its definitely an area where we need to make improvements. When other teams are doing great things in the off-season to improve their franchise and yours is taking a step back, you start the season two steps back.

Thats my $0.02 anyway.

I used to sweat what the media says but it got old/redundant after a while.

The problem with the media that i had to get over is that they will prognosticate and say this and that and trash our beloved team yet when they do win games (2005) and make the playoffs you never hear anyone get on the tube and replay their preseason bashing and eat their words.

The media is one sided...they boast and make predictions and then its out the window and on to the next thing...they fill airtime cuz thats what sports fans want to hear...mock drafts, predicitions, who the best player(s) are...etc...

We as fans live for that (sortof) and it keeps us into the whole "sport" especially during the offseason/preseason etc.

It used to get under my skin but now i just laugh it off....if i read everything negative about the redskins or our upcoming season i'd probably burst a blood vessel or something LOL.

HTTR.

When the "expert" consensus is that your draft grade is a "D" or an "F" its a cause for concern.

While I don't think that Redskins management should make their decisions based on what these "experts" say, they do play a critical role in helping to critique past missteps. There are plenty of franchises that have taken a lot of heat in the past for poor choices (the Raiders is a perfect example) who seem to have taken a lot of that criticism to heart in a constructive manner.

Let's face it, the Skins have had a horrendous track record in the draft. Its definitely an area where we need to make improvements. When other teams are doing great things in the off-season to improve their franchise and yours is taking a step back, you start the season two steps back.

Thats my $0.02 anyway.

Im pretty sure that the year we went back to the playoffs 05-06 we were slated by everybody to go nowhere. Any everybody killed us in that offseason as well.

Play with a chip boys and kick some NFL rears.

Im pretty sure that the year we went back to the playoffs 05-06 we were slated by everybody to go nowhere. Any everybody killed us in that offseason as well.

Play with a chip boys and kick some NFL rears.

But why place the onus on the team to overcome poor choices by management before the season even starts? This is an unnecessary burden that undermines morale particularly when it isn't addressed from season to season.

This is an institutional problem. Take a look at our poor choices at QB as a prime example. When was the last time we had a true bonafide franchise QB?

The media is the reason everyone says the redskins suck becuase the media continues to put us in a sorry image in the NFL. Thats why there are so many dallas fans becuase it doenst matter if they suck or not the media still glorifies them. Raiders to. The raiders sorry years will be forgettin when it is all said and done. The media shows the redskins very little love thats why no one cares about the skins. They show us every once in a while on Nfl network but show the steelers, Cowboys and raiders repediatly day and night. The media makes people hate us and talk bad about us.

because people care about the team

just like if someone was bad mouthing your girl in public, you'd be pissed, no?

He summed it up right there and now add the fact that EVERYONE INSULTS YOUR GIRL FRIEND AND GOES OUT OF THERE WAY TO TAKE A SHOT AT HER!

Thats why i say DOWN WITH BRISTOL!!!!!! PITCHFORKS AND TORCHES I SAY .. The first one im going after is Mark May .. Im sorry you got cut , has been..........He's just mad e didnt get paid like guys do today ..

Media people, in general, know less about the team than you or I because they're trying to gather information on every team. They don't take time to focus in on the team the way we do. There are a few, like Jaws, who really do some work at dissecting player performance, and should get some credit for what they're talking about. Most of the rest are the same as the average joe off the street.

Just think, if you were pretty, you could do their job. ;)

Because it's human nature to defend family. The Redskins are part of our family. And it pains all of us to see what the franchise has become. We just need to start winning to shut the naysayers up and then watch them flock to us and say "I knew all along this team had it in them."

Art. Monk.

Exactly, the obvious media bias takes it's toll. Even though we are the most profitable team, it has to hurt merchandise sales with the constant bias towards the Skins. I've loved the Skins my whole life, and it honestly hurts that they hate us so much. We could go undefeated this year, and they wouldn't talk about us as one of the 5 greatest teams of all time.

like I said, just wondering......a lot of energy seems to be spent chasing the proverbial media tail....and to what end? You're not (imho) making any difference, and if anything, feeding the beast. You know, any attention is good attention when you're a media whore.

It's one thing to defend your girl or your family against a tangible object but I guess I just don't see where you stand to gain anything by having a coniption fit in this forum over every negative written word.

I guess I'm more of a circle the wagons and pick 'em off when they try to come inside kid o'fella.

but by all means........carry on

I hope this a thread worth starting, my apologies if I'm mistaken.

There seems to be so much hand wringing whenever someone, (Dr.Z, Kiper, espn, the fat guy from Jersey, who's name I can't remember,,,Peter King, that's it, whomever) writes an opinion piece which is less than complimentary of the Redskins.

I understand the desire to "take up for" your team but at what point do you realize that it's moot and just not give a crap what these "experts" have to say?

if people on this board didn't care what the media said, this board would be a lonely place. Maybe the mods would like a quiet day once in a while.

Man, there have been so so many of these threads, use of the search function would be nice, but hey it's the offseason, and man o man, with no draft and nothing but june 1st cuts for exciting stuff, it is going to be a long wait until pre-season.

It REALLY annoys me to hear what the media has to say, especially since it's the offseason and the team has no way to defend itself through game performance until after the summer.

However, I do look forward to watching this team prove everyone wrong **keeps fingers crossed for that beautiful day**

Archived