Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How good are Golston and Montgomery?

Monk in the Hall!

As we watch the draft trickle by, I am left thinking about our relatively productive 2006 Draft- round 5, in which we drafted Golston and Montgomery.

I know KG gets a lot of talk around ES. But, I still wonder what is the general opinion about KG and AM. Could both of these guys end up being solid providers for us? Could our lack of aggressiveness in picking up DL help this year be related ot the coaching staffs confidence in our 2006 DT picks.

This is my hypothesis (I dont know whether it is true or not): Maybe our FO felt that the gap between the top DTs in 2007 draft and our 2006 DTs was much smaller than the gap between Landry and our safety depth in 2006.

So- any thoughts. The profiles of KG and AM (links below) are promissing. And their play last year was solid. I open the floor to those much wiser than I.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2006/golston_kedric

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2006/montgomery_anthony

I've actually thought the same thing. Other than Okoye, I don't think any of the D-Tackles are a sure upgrade to Montgomery and Golston. I'll take it a step further and say if they were both in the draft I would rate them both in the top 5. As far as DE I would rate Carter with Adams and Anderson. I think that getting Landry will make our secondary a force for years to come. I think for this year we are better off filling any D-line needs with available FA's after cuts or inexpensive trades.

I could be wrong here...but Golston and Monty have more value than most d lineman in this years draft...the reason is...they have one year of experience of learning our system and working with our coaches. I'm sure the coaches feel they both will contribute within the rotation of the line this year. Landry was the right pick. Let's hope we add more depth today for our D line.

I think they are the back ups and will see a much more increased time in the rotation. Going into last year nobody thought much of them and now it seems like we have some good young depth. After getting some playing time they should be able to figure out what they need to develop and improve. I still think we could use a big fatty in there, but I also still have a Branch to the Cards hangover. If we can do for the ends this year like we did for the tackles last year today, I'll be happy with what we have.

I've actually thought the same thing. Other than Okoye, I don't think any of the D-Tackles are a sure upgrade to Montgomery and Golston. I'll take it a step further and say if they were both in the draft I would rate them both in the top 5. As far as DE I would rate Carter with Adams and Anderson. I think that getting Landry will make our secondary a force for years to come. I think for this year we are better off filling any D-line needs with available FA's after cuts or inexpensive trades.

You make a good point. In Greg Williams D-Schemes, the versatility of the LBs, and rotations of DBs is a must. Greg now has a awesome secondary... The Taylor / Landry combination at safeties, Springs / Smooth at CBs with Rogers and the guy from Arizona filling in will make it more challenging for teams to continuously go deep on us.

Fletcher will help in covering both pass/run. If we get a good pass rush we will be better than 2006! :applause:

We don't know enough about either guy really.

Montgomery has greater potential. He has the better measurables, natural size and upside of the two. Though he and Golston have close size grades in the draft profiles there, there's really a distinct difference between the two when you are up close with them in the locker room or coming off the field.

Golston was a more sound player in Year 1 and wound up getting more time. Our hope is that one of the two can be said to be a consistent starter over the years while the other is a role player. In our dreams both are starters. They have greater value than a rookie simply because they have a year of professional strength training and system work. You will know a lot about them this year and we'll know who is a keeper and who isn't.

Haven't you heard, according to Gibbs and co., these two are hall of famers. We're gonna have the best defense in the history of the league. Teams will probably average negative yards rushing per game. Its gonna be awesome. How could somebody even question the ability of our genius front office to pick lower round players?

Haven't you heard, according to Gibbs and co., these two are hall of famers. We're gonna have the best defense in the history of the league. Teams will probably average negative yards rushing per game. Its gonna be awesome. How could somebody even question the ability of our genius front office to pick lower round players?

Looks like you live up to your sig :doh: Get a clue. Gibbs never said these were hall of famers. People just like to pull stuff out of their rear to criticize the FO and that is just silly and a waste of time. Don't you have better things to do?

I personally liked Golston last year. He has potential. Montgomery has size and just needs to show he can give 100% effort. That was one of the few knocks on him coming into last years draft. He was a good performer in college, but took too many plays off.

Ahh.

Now I see why someone would question you as a fan, TS. This is a ludicrous, unnecessary, flatly SAD, Cowboy-fan-like reply. Nothing, anywhere, requires a FAN of the Redskins to make such a sarcastic, biting reply to an evaluation of the players we have. How could anyone question negative comments from fans? Well, sometimes they say things that require questioning, and you should be embarrassed that you blame others for treating YOU unfairly, when you've just treated the rest of us so poorly.

Personally I really like Golston, hes solid, he gets knocked off the ball sometimes, but hes got a great motor and really fit into what our defense does. Montgomery on the other hand...Im not impressed so far, I hope what we hear about him killing it in the lockerroom is true, cause the guy has a huge frame. He just seems slow to me, stands up a lot. Hopefully Blatche can get him in shape and make him the best that he can be

It take a year or even 2 for most DT'S to get nfl strong.The wieght room is the key for both GOLSTON and AM. Montgomery would not have been there last in the 5th round if injuries kept him of the the field his senior year.His junior year he was a monster inside.

I'm not saying there HOF guys but are quailty .We need to look at DE and DT and OL, thats what 2nd days all about.

Landry must change his name to ALLEN OR GIBBS. I'll never wear a jersey with that name on it.

Golston has promise, Montgomery was always knocked for inconsistent effort. I'm just praying that Griffin and Salavae have enough left in the tank.

Not true at all. Watch the Titans game where he started. He didn't get knocked back at all. Dude is huge. The only downside to him is he's out of shape, or was, and had to be spelled by Boschetti a bunch, especially late in the game. They are both good/promising tackles and no one can say that any of the first rounders would have had an more immediate impact this year (had we selected a 1st round DT this year) than our two rookie DT's. Obviously Montgomery has a little way to go beyond Golston, but IMO it's more about his motor and the shape he's in. Anthony looks a little fat and out of shape, but Gibbs said that they are both in the weight room working hard. It's a good sign for our DT rotation especially if our vet DT's are healthy in 07 :2cents:

HTTR

Ahh.

Now I see why someone would question you as a fan, TS. This is a ludicrous, unnecessary, flatly SAD, Cowboy-fan-like reply. Nothing, anywhere, requires a FAN of the Redskins to make such a sarcastic, biting reply to an evaluation of the players we have. How could anyone question negative comments from fans? Well, sometimes they say things that require questioning, and you should be embarrassed that you blame others for treating YOU unfairly, when you've just treated the rest of us so poorly.

Sorry man, the frustration's gone to my head. I'm probably gonna have one major hangover tomorrow.

wasn't taking plays off why some folks on here didn't want to draft Branch - funny how that isn't an issue defending Monty and taking Landry instead of taking a DT who might have been a lot more effective size and strength wise.

Interesting. So a guy who takes plays off is the long term solution and why we shouldn't draft someone who can either put pressure on him to develop into his possible talent or step over him and make a difference. Sound logic.

Looks like you live up to your sig :doh: Get a clue. Gibbs never said these were hall of famers. People just like to pull stuff out of their rear to criticize the FO and that is just silly and a waste of time. Don't you have better things to do?

I personally liked Golston last year. He has potential. Montgomery has size and just needs to show he can give 100% effort. That was one of the few knocks on him coming into last years draft. He was a good performer in college, but took too many plays off.

Actually, if you read some of my earlier posts, you'll find that I have a lot of very valid criticisms of the front office. But if you're too blinded by your loyalties to realize the mistakes made by our front office, then thats your problem. I hear there's a support group for people like that though. As for me, what could be better than talking Redskins football?

I think both player are gonna be okay in this system if not some other player we possibly draft in the later rounds. Gregg doesn't really need dominant DL for his system to wrok. Just DL that can push the pocket and hold gaps and do what's expected of them in this system. But naturally, with Greggs bltz packages and now having Landry. Somebody on the DL well get chances to accumulate sacks. And I think Andre Carter was coming on strong last year.

And remember, the off-season is not totally over. We have all our draft picks for next year and maybe we trade for a real Sack master or just go DL next year in the first round if we don't trade a #1 pick for a beast this year.

I don't know for now.

As far as our defensive line I'm sure most of us want 4 defensive lineman that can be versatile and wreck havoc on their on like we saw with the Bears.

Its not there yet and if the GW system means dismissing the idea of that then it might mean looking in another direction

Archived