Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFC East drafts, first 3 rounds

Jeremiah_Johnson

The Cowboys have had an excellent draft so far. Bothe trades were good. They simply picked the best player available at that point in the draft. Sounds familiar, doesn't it? That was exactly what the Skins did. LaRon Landry really didn't fill an immediate need but it was a need nonetheless.

I give the Boys an A

I give the Skins a B-

I give the Giants a C

Igive the Eagles a D

He may be good in three years...but a lot can happen between now and then.

Dallas had more pressing needs than an underweight DE....

:laugh: :laugh:

You seriously have no clue now do ya? I mean you refer to him (Spencer) as an underweigth DE....but either your football dumb are ignoring the fact that he is an OLB in the 3-4 Defense, and a very VERY pressing need with Ellis coming off of major surgery. Kiper calles him "his choice for rookie of the year"....He will start for Dallas in 2007.

Did you say the same about Ware and Merriman? Those guys were also undersized DE's.

Spencer was going to be picked up before the end of rd 1, so Dallas had to pull the trigger, and because Cleveland wanted Quinn so bad, we had all kinds of picks to use for trading.

Hell I said here in ATN Friday that Spencer would be a good pick at 22

Please, try to be honest. The only reason you brought him up was because I said it would be a mistake if the pukes chose him... :laugh:

I named four LBs/DEs who would be bad picks for the pukes. And Spencer was one of them.

:laugh: :laugh:

You seriously have no clue now do ya? I mean you refer to him (Spencer) as an underweigth DE....but either your football dumb are ignoring the fact that he is an OLB in the 3-4 Defense, and a very VERY pressing need with Ellis coming off of major surgery. Kiper calles him "his choice for rookie of the year"....He will start for Dallas in 2007.

Did you say the same about Ware and Merriman? Those guys were also undersized DE's.

Spencer was going to be picked up before the end of rd 1, so Dallas had to pull the trigger, and because Cleveland wanted Quinn so bad, we had all kinds of picks to use for trading.

Again, is it possible for you to not preface your response with an insult?

You needed a WR, OL, QB, and CB more than this guy.

Spencer wasn't on anyone's radar in pukeville. Everyone thought DE/LB were set.

All of my puke friends really are baffled about this one. When they got Cleveland's #1 for trading down, it was awful...and then Jerry did the unthinkable....he traded with a DIVISION RIVAL for a guy who would have been around for a long time.

Genius. :laugh:

I think they drafted their player in reverse order. could have had Bowe or Meecham

:rolleyes: Yeah, DB/DL/ backup OL a lot of need there

Williams use the Safety more than DE, so it wasn't a surprise they went with many call the best defensive player on the board... especially when no draft trade vailable with the Vikings wanting Petersen, and Miami wanting Ginn not Quinn.

for the record I want Jamaal Andersen who went 8th

Gibbs has picked some good talent in the top rounds since he has been back... and the DL suffered more from injuries than lack of talent ( they lead the NFL in lowest YPC in 04, and top ten in 05... the best in the NFL in Games Griffin played that year... but the DL is getting long in the tooth at DE, and Carter would be even better with a pass rusher on the other end

Eagles got value by trading back since the player they wanted was drafted ahead of them... then screwed the pooch with Kolb. and McNabb already has a parnoid complex, and thinks people are out to get him in philly.

A run & shoot QB, who was rated like the 5th or 6th best QB... and probably would have been available in the third round picks

other picks? serviceable types, passed on a play maker at safety, WR, and I don't think Hunt was that highly rated RB

Getting the 08 first, great mover

trading back up for Spencer, completely baffling

not a real need, and not worth giving up the extra picks they got from cleveland... He may have been there in the second.. was a charcter issue guy, question about his size playing DE, speed as OLB

and passed on Meecham, Bowe, Staley, Grubb, Gonzales, with that pick.... and could have stayed with the browns pick in the second, an got Weedle, Houston, Sears, Blalock or Kevin Kolb, :D okay just kidding there , but could have gotten Beck from QB BYU... all more pressing needs

trading down again????? extra picks are nice, but getting higher rated players is a better idea more often?

DROY????? :rotflmao: go ahead bet the house on that one

Finally drafted a Tackle with Martin... but passed on better OL earlier

Bubba did I miss something, because i never once heard about character issues with Spencer...and you honestly do not think he would have been around in the 2nd round do ya?

Meachem may be a talented WR but the knock on him is his inibility to go across the middle. The last thing Dallas needs is a WR that wont cross the middle, or is afraid to when our in division rival now has ST and LL!!! I like Bowe, but I am not sure how it would work out considering Dallas has young WR on the roster that would get caught up in the numbers game. The need for a pass rush was there and we got the best pass rusher in the draft!

you called Ware inconsistant, and the fact that Ellis is 33 with major surgury, i am shocked that you dont see Dallas in a real need for a OLB/pass rusher....well of course if they would have picked Jarrett, Bowe or Meachem...........:rolleyes:

The way Gregg Williams uses blitzes, it's the safeties, corners and LBs who end up applying pressure on the QB, not the D-line. The Skins have never had a QB-pressuring defensive line under Williams, yet they ranked #3 and #9 in defense in 2004 and 2005...and their sack totals were around 40 sacks each of those seasons. In fact, the DE's sack totals from last season either equaled or surpassed the DE sack totals from the previous two years.

Gibbs and Williams are on record as saying that last year's pathetic defensive performance was not due to the d-line, but more the result of poor LB and secondary play...can't say I blame them considering we were starting Holdman, Wright, Rumph and Vernon fox. Marshall, our MLB, had a down year and is really better suited for the WLB. Washington was injured and missed games as well. Springs everyone knows how many games he missed. And of course Archuletta ended up being benched.

They addressed both the LB and Secondary positions this offseason with the signing of Fletcher and Smoot and the drafting of what looks to be a stud of a safety in Landry. Fletcher is a HUGE upgrade over Marshall and Marshall/McIntosh should be a HUGE upgrade over Holdman. Smoot will be a HUGE upgrade over Wright and Rumph combined, and Landry will most likely end up being a gigantic upgrade over the likes of Fox, Stoudmire and Reed Doughty lol...

I was hoping for Adams or Anderson, but I also was hoping for Landry if we couldn't trade down and pick up good value for the #6.

That my friend is how to state a argument. Well written post.

He was a reach is you consider a reach going about the area where projected

As for needs, you can say it over and over but you are still wrong. Please dont pretend that YOU know the Cowboys needs better than I do. passrusher was definately a need more than a backup OLinemen or safety

Please acknowledge that I was the first to mention Spencer on this board....and because he would be a BAD pick for the pukes.

Again, is it possible for you to not preface your response with an insult?

You needed a WR, OL, QB, and CB more than this guy.

Spencer wasn't on anyone's radar in pukeville. Everyone thought DE/LB were set.

All of my puke friends really are baffled about this one. When they got Cleveland's #1 for trading down, it was awful...and then Jerry did the unthinkable....he traded with a DIVISION RIVAL for a guy who would have been around for a long time.

Genius. :laugh:

Really? So you know the Dallas FO's radar now?? You really think JJ and comany just threw a dart out there and picked this kid because it landed on his name....

Well if you wanna make yourself fell better by saying Spencer would have been around later, then go ahead, but the people who do this for a living say otherwise....and for the record NE was reported to have traded their pick away ...BECAUSE he was off the board.

WR need is for a young #4 not a guy to come in and play for TO, Glenn or Crayton. And Dallas has two young guys already that the staff will evaluate in 07. They now have TWO 1st round pick.....if Glenn or TO hit the wall and are gone next year, well then i think i know where they can get a good WR.......

They got a very good Olineman in round 3. Why ignore that? He is a B.C guy...B.C lineman are pro ready...He is depth for now, but could be a LT by 2008 or sooner depending on Flo's 07 perfromance.

QB? :laugh: seriously, that joke is way old.

CB. Not sure that Dallas isnt very set with Henry/Newman...I mean with a great pass rush they would be just fine....You being a Skins fan should know the imprtance of a pass rush to help out your secondary!!!! They will get another CB here in day 2. A.Glenn is prolly playing in his last year and Reeves is the only other decent CB on the roster.

Really? So you know the Dallas FO's radar now?? You really think JJ and comany just threw a dart out there and picked this kid because it landed on his name....

I just think it's a wasted pick. That position was adequate with Ellis, until he got hurt last year.

You need WRs.

I just think it's a wasted pick. That position was adequate with Ellis, until he got hurt last year.

You need WRs.

thanks for admiting its whay YOU think. So if the position is "adequate untill Ellis" gets hurt, dont you think they could stand to make it better?

Again, WR is fine in 2007. 2008 may just be an issue, but with another year of free agency, another year of seeing and evaluating our youngins and TWO 1st round picks.....I am sure they can get set at WR!

:laugh: well sport center just gave winners and losers and

Mark May - biggest loser (Skins) "how can a team with THE WORST PASS RUSH and one of the WORST run Def's not draft on the D-line! He said they won't get pressure on the QB and wont be able to stop the run, but will look pretty in pads in the secondary!!! :laugh:

Sean Salsbury- Eagles. He is just confused about the pick of Kolb.

Eric Allen - Tenn.

I like the Giants' first two picks. I think the third round pick was a round or two early. They probably could have gotten this guy in the fourth or fifth but this is the type of thing the Giants do (see last years first round pick). But when I saw the video on him, he looks like a bull rusher and that is what the Giants need on the inside to go along with Robbins and Cofield. Ross is tall with good hands and his speed is above average. And Jerry Rice's comments on Steve Smith alone makes me love the pick.

I'm not sure about the Redskins' pick. Obviously the guy can play but I'm not sure it was what they needed. I feel they should have traded down and received more picks although that may not have been an option if they couldn't find someone to trade with. The pick was good but I'm not sure the right one.

I'm wondering if the Eagles pick has any indication on what may be happening with McNabb or they just liked this guy that muchl.

The Cowboys made the trade I was hoping maybe the Giants could have done with the Browns. I honestly don't know enough about Spencer to say if it was a good pick. But they are having a good draft just based on the extra first rounder they have next year.

Again, the personal attack.

If I post about the Skins, I do it in the Stadium....

Well I have looked and looked and even searched, but i cant find not one post of you making an opinion on your teams draft. I am real curious to know how you feel, but then again, you prolly think they had the best draft pick in the first round.......

and why not here the title is nfc east draft, first 3 rounds......not nfc east teams that made the playoffs, first 3 rounds.

comne on TR1, tell us exacty how you feel about the Skins draft!

']I like the Giants' first two picks. I think the third round pick was a round or two early. They probably could have gotten this guy in the fourth or fifth but this is the type of thing the Giants do (see last years first round pick). But when I saw the video on him' date=' he looks like a bull rusher and that is what the Giants need on the inside to go along with Robbins and Cofield. Ross is tall with good hands and his speed is above average. And Jerry Rice's comments on Steve Smith alone makes me love the pick.

[/quote']

The Gianst did great with their first two picks. Ross is a very good Corner. Both players, Ross and Smith are good fits for your team. :applause: to the Giants.

Though Kolb comes in a close second, Spencer was the worst pick. He's undersized and with Ellis coming back healthy, he's a wasted pick.

Jerry strikes again!

Yep, undersized. He's nearly 6'4" tall and 261 pounds for a *linebacker*. He also did 525 pounds on the bench press, 610 pounds on the squat, 365 pounds power clean all while running a 4.68 forty time.

YAKUZA

You need WRs.

San Diego had Foley, Phillips, and Merrimen rushing on any given down.

I think Phillips will find a role for Spencer, who is most compared to Phillips in play style.

Personally, I think Spencer is probably a pretty good pick for Dallas. He'll probably be a good edge rusher. I think NY did really well in picking up Ross as well. Philly, well, I think Kolb was a huge reach. He could have been had later. He did play in a dink and dunk offense so that's gotta be a plus in Philly's eyes, but I don't know about a guy who went to the University of Houston. I've read that he doesn't have long ball accuracy and that he has a lot of balls batted down.

Although I thought DT or even DE was the way to go for us, Landry in and of himself was a good pick. Whether he was the pick to best help us out defensively remains to be seen.

Yep, undersized. He's nearly 6'4" tall and 261 pounds for a *linebacker*. He also did 525 pounds on the bench press, 610 pounds on the squat, 365 pounds power clean all while running a 4.68 forty time.

YAKUZA

Actually you made bubba's point with this post. Spencer is your classic 'tweener. He is slow and big for a backer and light as a DE. He is also 6'2 1/2", not 6'4". I am not saying he won't be good, because I think he will be.

As for the Skins, I was initially unhappy with the Landry pick. We need a yound DE to pair with Carter and we got a safety instead. After some thought, I was happier though. Landry called all defensive signals at LSU. He was responsible for making sure everyone was in correct position pre snap. If he can absorb GWs playbook quickly, this could make an enormous difference for our D, especially when you add London Fletcher and his knowledge of the system in there. If we can stay healthy this year we will spring right back into form.

The Cowboys have had an excellent draft so far. Bothe trades were good. They simply picked the best player available at that point in the draft. Sounds familiar, doesn't it? That was exactly what the Skins did. LaRon Landry really didn't fill an immediate need but it was a need nonetheless.

I give the Boys an A

I give the Skins a B-

I give the Giants a C

Igive the Eagles a D

Wait until the draft is over before handing out your report card. You should have a C, that's only because you drafted Landry, which was you're only pick on day 1. You should have the lowest grade just because you had 1 pick on day 1.

Actually you made bubba's point with this post. Spencer is your classic 'tweener. He is slow and big for a backer and light as a DE. He is also 6'2 1/2", not 6'4". I am not saying he won't be good, because I think he will be.

My mistake, he's actually listed at 6'2 and 7/8". Running a 4.68 isn't considered slow in the 3-4 for an OLB. Shawne Merriman ran the same exact 40 time and Joey Porter ran a 4.64 forty time.

YAKUZA

The way Gregg Williams uses blitzes, it's the safeties, corners and LBs who end up applying pressure on the QB, not the D-line. The Skins have never had a QB-pressuring defensive line under Williams, yet they ranked #3 and #9 in defense in 2004 and 2005...and their sack totals were around 40 sacks each of those seasons. In fact, the DE's sack totals from last season either equaled or surpassed the DE sack totals from the previous two years.

Gibbs and Williams are on record as saying that last year's pathetic defensive performance was not due to the d-line, but more the result of poor LB and secondary play...can't say I blame them considering we were starting Holdman, Wright, Rumph and Vernon fox. Marshall, our MLB, had a down year and is really better suited for the WLB. Washington was injured and missed games as well. Springs everyone knows how many games he missed. And of course Archuletta ended up being benched.

They addressed both the LB and Secondary positions this offseason with the signing of Fletcher and Smoot and the drafting of what looks to be a stud of a safety in Landry. Fletcher is a HUGE upgrade over Marshall and Marshall/McIntosh should be a HUGE upgrade over Holdman. Smoot will be a HUGE upgrade over Wright and Rumph combined, and Landry will most likely end up being a gigantic upgrade over the likes of Fox, Stoudmire and Reed Doughty lol...

I was hoping for Adams or Anderson, but I also was hoping for Landry if we couldn't trade down and pick up good value for the #6.

I never thought about it like this, but this is a very good point.

I feel slightly better this morning after reading this.... :)

Redskins. I know Landry should be good, but with as many needs as they have, taking a safety was a huge stretch. I don't care if you have 2 Ronnie Lott clones back there, if you can't get to the qb, the secondary will fold.

With as many needs as we have? We have no more needs than the rest of the NFC East, and we've already addressed most of them.

Landry? Honestly I didn't watch him that much, but in the games I did see, I didn't really see what the big deal was. Most experts agree that he was the best defensive player in the draft, however, so I'm pretty satisfied.

My draft wish list was to trade down to 9 or 10 and select Amobi Okoye. That kid is going to be special. And when his rookie contract is up, he'll be the same age as the kids being drafted that year! :laugh:

Giants - Are you kidding me? Joe Staley is on the board and you go CB? Ross is a good player, but CB was 3rd or 4th on the list of needs in New York. OT and LB were both much more pressing. I like Steve Smith, and I don't know much about Alford. Still stunned that OT and LB were not addressed in the first 3 rounds.

Eagles - LOL. :laugh: The only pick that worries me is Hunt. Everything else = LOL.

Dallas - I think tr1 is thinking Spencer is going to play DE - he isn't; he's gonna play OLB. A little high to pick him, but Phillips does know 3-4 personnell. Don't know much about the OT pick, but OLine is definitely a need in Dallas.

Skins - I mean, you really can't say much about their draft, because they haven't really had one yet. :laugh: I've already stated my opinions on Landry. However if Springs stays around and remains healthy, we'll have 4 top 9 picks back there, and 3 top 6 picks. Should be fun. :) Landry is definitely a skilled blitzer, but then again ARch was supposed to be a very good blitzer as well, so who knows. I can't wait for the 5th round. :D

Wait until the draft is over before handing out your report card. You should have a C, that's only because you drafted Landry, which was you're only pick on day 1. You should have the lowest grade just because you had 1 pick on day 1.

Exacttly. Im waiting for the end of today before I make my assessment. If we pick up our Nickel CB, A NT and a WR I give us atleast a B.

With as many needs as we have? We have no more needs than the rest of the NFC East, and we've already addressed most of them.

really, the only team in the division that DIDN'T make the playoffs, yet no more needs then the rest???

and please tell me how your team addressed its BIGGEST need...a pass rush???

And your "best" Def. player is a FS and they drafted a FS........

Landry? Honestly I didn't watch him that much, but in the games I did see, I didn't really see what the big deal was. Most experts agree that he was the best defensive player in the draft, however, so I'm pretty satisfied.

i love Landry as a player, but with no pass rush i really do not know how esffective he and ST can be...but I guess we will all find out in 2007

LB's who can shed blocks and a secondary that can cover helps the pass rush. Carter is certainly gonna be better the beginning of this season than he was last. A healthy Springs ( he wasn't 100% at any point last year) is huge and the addition of Smoot is nothing to sneeze at if he plays anyhwhere near the level he played at before he left.

It's been said repeatedly. Some people like to ignore the answers in favor of repeating the same dumb questions at every convenience.

See you next thread TRPB

Archived