Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFC East drafts, first 3 rounds

Jeremiah_Johnson

Giants. I'm not a big fan of Longhorn players, so I have questions about Ross, but I think Steve Smith can play in this league. He'll surprise some people

Redskins. I know Landry should be good, but with as many needs as they have, taking a safety was a huge stretch. I don't care if you have 2 Ronnie Lott clones back there, if you can't get to the qb, the secondary will fold.

Eagles. We won't know anything about Kolb for a few years, but if he pans out, there won't be much of a dropoff when McNabb does decide to hang em up.

Cowboys. Anytime you can give away a 3rd and a 5th for what could possibly be a top 5 pick, you've set yourself up well in the future. Loved the Spencer pick, absolutely loved it. Bookends....Ware and Spencer. The OT??? Don't know much about him. But from what I read about him, he doesn't seem that great. I woulda rather of gotten Tank Tyler, but Jerry is staying away from "bad character guys" so whatever.

Thoughts?

Giants. I'm not a big fan of Longhorn players, so I have questions about Ross, but I think Steve Smith can play in this league. He'll surprise some people

Redskins. I know Landry should be good, but with as many needs as they have, taking a safety was a huge stretch. I don't care if you have 2 Ronnie Lott clones back there, if you can't get to the qb, the secondary will fold.

Eagles. We won't know anything about Kolb for a few years, but if he pans out, there won't be much of a dropoff when McNabb does decide to hang em up.

Cowboys. Anytime you can give away a 3rd and a 5th for what could possibly be a top 5 pick, you've set yourself up well in the future. Loved the Spencer pick, absolutely loved it. Bookends....Ware and Spencer. The OT??? Don't know much about him. But from what I read about him, he doesn't seem that great. I woulda rather of gotten Tank Tyler, but Jerry is staying away from "bad character guys" so whatever.

Thoughts?

Though Kolb comes in a close second, Spencer was the worst pick. He's undersized and with Ellis coming back healthy, he's a wasted pick.

Jerry strikes again!

Though Kolb comes in a close second, Spencer was the worst pick. He's undersized and with Ellis coming back healthy, he's a wasted pick.

Jerry strikes again!

tr1, I did a search and couldn't find your thoughts on the Landry, or the skins draft thus far. Care to enlighten us? Or would you rather never go on record about your team, that way it makes it easier to try to beat down all the other teams in the East?

You truly aren't a redskins fan are you?

tr1, I did a search and couldn't find your thoughts on the Landry, or the skins draft thus far. Care to enlighten us? Or would you rather never go on record about your team, that way it makes it easier to try to beat down all the other teams in the East?

You truly aren't a redskins fan are you?

Again, the personal attack.

If I post about the Skins, I do it in the Stadium....

I thought Spencer was a good pick. Although I don't agree with Mel Kiper 99 percent of the time he thinks that Spencer will be the DROY.

He may be good in three years...but a lot can happen between now and then.

Dallas had more pressing needs than an underweight DE....

Giants filled needs but no picks stood out as being special.

Philly waited until the 3rd round to show up. Bradley is more of a 3-4 guy, but is versatile. He could end out replacing Trotter or take Gocongs spot. Tony Hunt is their best pick. He is one of the type players they lacked last season. Nice pick up.

Dallas did well okay with Spencer and Morten. Certainly nothing exciting.

Washington...........I knew they would take Landry if Adams was gone and there were no acceptable offers for the #6 pick, but I sure wish I could have heard those offers. I evidently disagree with their DL evaluation!

I give all four teams a grade of C.

Again, the personal attack.

If I post about the Skins, I do it in the Stadium....

Yeah, I looked in the stadium and couldn't find a thing. I guess its easier to blast other teams when you refuse to say anything about your own, good, bad or indifferent.

Gee, its draft day, you've got almost 10,000 posts on here, I woulda thought you would have found the time to share your thoughts on the subject.

Guess not.

Skins only had one pick and it was basically a "gimme" so it's tough to evaluate them.

The Giants did pretty good. Aaron Ross was the #1 CB on the Warhead Big Board and I actually preferred Steve Smith over Dwayne Jarrett.

The Cowboys moved up and down and all around. Anthony Spencer is a good player though he doesn't necessarily fill a need.

The Eagles...WTF are they doing? A complete mystery to me.

Jerry strikes again!

6'3" 260 is undersized for a LB?

and Greg Ellis is coming off an achilles tear and is 32 years old Spencer was a great pick at a position of need

The boys draft so far is good imo. Marten is a decent LT, Spencer will take Ellis's spot in camp (that guy is a freak). Not sure about all the trading down, they don't really need depth. Their roster screams the need for coverage guys though. Newman is it.

The eagles draft is strange but if Bradley is healthy he will be a decent starter and Hunt may be a good short yardage back for them.

The giants picked the worst corner possible but they got a great return man. He has a lot of potential but he is 24 too, he should be a decent nickelback though. Alford is the pass rushing stud they lack in the middle. Cofield, Robbins, and Bell can all stuff the run, only Robbins could rush the passer. William Joseph may finally be cut but who knows. Picking Smith is another good move imo. Toomer, Burress, Moss, Smith, and Shockey. Remember that Gilbride used to love the run and shoot... (dunno if this is a good thing)

The redskins got a stud safety who seems like a clone of Sean Taylor. This is a big improvement but it does little for their pass rush or run defense.

Weird how only the redskins actually filled one of their needs. The cowboys just replaced either ellis, carpenter (outside), or ellis, they disregarded CB, FS, DL, and WR (age not talent). The giants disregarded RB, LT, OLB. The eagles disregarded OLB, SS, and WR. The one thing i am happy about the giants draft is that all the picks have a lot of experience. Ross even has a lot of experience just only 1 year starting. I hate the ross pick though, he gave up 700 yards last year...

I think they drafted their player in reverse order. could have had Bowe or Meecham

:rolleyes: Yeah, DB/DL/ backup OL a lot of need there

Williams use the Safety more than DE, so it wasn't a surprise they went with many call the best defensive player on the board... especially when no draft trade vailable with the Vikings wanting Petersen, and Miami wanting Ginn not Quinn.

for the record I want Jamaal Andersen who went 8th

Gibbs has picked some good talent in the top rounds since he has been back... and the DL suffered more from injuries than lack of talent ( they lead the NFL in lowest YPC in 04, and top ten in 05... the best in the NFL in Games Griffin played that year... but the DL is getting long in the tooth at DE, and Carter would be even better with a pass rusher on the other end

Eagles got value by trading back since the player they wanted was drafted ahead of them... then screwed the pooch with Kolb. and McNabb already has a parnoid complex, and thinks people are out to get him in philly.

A run & shoot QB, who was rated like the 5th or 6th best QB... and probably would have been available in the third round picks

other picks? serviceable types, passed on a play maker at safety, WR, and I don't think Hunt was that highly rated RB

Thoughts?

Getting the 08 first, great mover

trading back up for Spencer, completely baffling

not a real need, and not worth giving up the extra picks they got from cleveland... He may have been there in the second.. was a charcter issue guy, question about his size playing DE, speed as OLB

and passed on Meecham, Bowe, Staley, Grubb, Gonzales, with that pick.... and could have stayed with the browns pick in the second, an got Weedle, Houston, Sears, Blalock or Kevin Kolb, :D okay just kidding there , but could have gotten Beck from QB BYU... all more pressing needs

trading down again????? extra picks are nice, but getting higher rated players is a better idea more often?

DROY????? :rotflmao: go ahead bet the house on that one

Finally drafted a Tackle with Martin... but passed on better OL earlier

6'3" 260 is undersized for a LB?

and Greg Ellis is coming off an achilles tear and is 32 years old Spencer was a great pick at a position of need

he was a reach, for a position that was way down the list in ranking of need, and gave up the extra picks in this draft that got for going back

the players they passed on, to get spencer

mind boggling

Jerry strikes again!

269lbs. LB is undersized?

I can assure you, Phillips will have a job for him.

he was a reach, for a position that was way down the list in ranking of need, and gave up the extra picks in this draft that got for going back

mind boggling

Sorry but another pass rusher was crucial for this team. If you noticed last year, when Ellis went down, the defense folded.

We needed more pressure players. Something the Skins will need once again this year...

Getting the 08 first, great mover

trading back up for Spencer, completely baffling

not a real need, and not worth giving up the extra picks they got from cleveland... He may have been there in the second.. was a charcter issue guy, question about his size playing DE, speed as OLB

and passed on Meecham, Bowe, Staley, Grubb, Gonzales, with that pick.... and could have stayed with the browns pick in the second, an got Weedle, Houston, Sears, Blalock or Kevin Kolb, :D okay just kidding there , but could have gotten Beck from QB BYU... all more pressing needs

trading down again????? extra picks are nice, but getting higher rated players is a better idea more often?

DROY????? :rotflmao: go ahead bet the house on that one

Finally drafted a Tackle with Martin... but passed on better OL earlier

First off, I appreciate your honesty about Jammal, and the browns pick next year. But I have to disagree with you wholeheartidly about Spencer. No way would he have gotten past NE who we jumped ahead of to get him. No way. THere were 4 good DE's in this draft and we got the last one on the block, and any team would be ecstatic to get him.

He is our most pressing need IMO. No pass rush means big plays in the secondary. If you can get after the qb, you can win games. Simple as that.

The second trade down, I'm iffy about. I could go either way on it. I think there were questions about all those guys you mentioned, except for Grubbs which would have been a solid pick. I liked Meachem too, but you have to wonder why he never produced until this year. Those sorts of players can scare you.

As far as DROY, I didn't say it, Kiper did. But just the fact that he said it should make many people realize we got a pretty good player there.

Save it Ken, tr1 is done in this thread. He's been exposed for what he is......AGAIN.

Thats why I can at least respect Bubba. He'll battle you tooth and nail, and I disagree with him alot, but he's man enough to come on here and say "good trade", "good signing", or "skins shoulda drafted this guy".........

Granted, he doesn't do it as much as he should but he'll still do it once in a blue moon. Just kidding bubba:cheers:

I never heard Kiper say it, or read where he wrote it

All this It was a need talk is silly, in all the threads Poke fans have posted about the poke draft, no one mentioned drafting a DE/OLB ... WR, OL, CB, Safety...yes.. nothing about a DE/OLB

and the name Spencer has never been posted as a guy the pokes wanted, or should draft any where on this board.. that I can find

Meecham, Staley, Weedle, Grubb.. yeah... Spencer no

heck I could understand going for Branch there (though I wouldn't) Fergeson is gettinmg older, and Branch is supposed to be a 3-4 NT

Kolb was rated the 2nd best QB by the Sporting News, ahead of Quinn. Another major publication also had him ahead of Quinn. Rich Gosselin had him as the 44th best player, right near where the Eagles picked him. Kiper, though, had him as the 6th rated QB...so there is disagreement.

mind boggling

He was a reach is you consider a reach going about the area where projected

As for needs, you can say it over and over but you are still wrong. Please dont pretend that YOU know the Cowboys needs better than I do. passrusher was definately a need more than a backup OLinemen or safety

I never heard Kiper say it, or read where he wrote it

All this It was a need talk is silly, in all the threads Poke fans have posted about the poke draft, no one mentioned drafting a DE/OLB ... WR, OL, CB, Safety...yes.. nothing about a DE/OLB

and the name Spencer has never been posted as a guy the pokes wanted, or should draft any where on this board.. that I can find

Meecham, Staley, Weedle, Grubb.. yeah... Spencer no

heck I could understand going for Branch there (though I wouldn't) Fergeson is gettinmg older, and Branch is supposed to be a 3-4 NT

you base your assumption of the cowboys needs to what you read on a redskins forum? Come do a search on cowboyszone you will see ALOT of people mention pass rusher and Spencer in particular

Hell I said here in ATN Friday that Spencer would be a good pick at 22

The way Gregg Williams uses blitzes, it's the safeties, corners and LBs who end up applying pressure on the QB, not the D-line. The Skins have never had a QB-pressuring defensive line under Williams, yet they ranked #3 and #9 in defense in 2004 and 2005...and their sack totals were around 40 sacks each of those seasons. In fact, the DE's sack totals from last season either equaled or surpassed the DE sack totals from the previous two years.

Gibbs and Williams are on record as saying that last year's pathetic defensive performance was not due to the d-line, but more the result of poor LB and secondary play...can't say I blame them considering we were starting Holdman, Wright, Rumph and Vernon fox. Marshall, our MLB, had a down year and is really better suited for the WLB. Washington was injured and missed games as well. Springs everyone knows how many games he missed. And of course Archuletta ended up being benched.

They addressed both the LB and Secondary positions this offseason with the signing of Fletcher and Smoot and the drafting of what looks to be a stud of a safety in Landry. Fletcher is a HUGE upgrade over Marshall and Marshall/McIntosh should be a HUGE upgrade over Holdman. Smoot will be a HUGE upgrade over Wright and Rumph combined, and Landry will most likely end up being a gigantic upgrade over the likes of Fox, Stoudmire and Reed Doughty lol...

I was hoping for Adams or Anderson, but I also was hoping for Landry if we couldn't trade down and pick up good value for the #6.

Archived