Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFC East drafts, first 3 rounds

Jeremiah_Johnson

really, the only team in the division that DIDN'T make the playoffs, yet no more needs then the rest???

and please tell me how your team addressed its BIGGEST need...a pass rush???

LB, OL, CB/S were our most pressing needs. We signed Smoot, Fletcher, Wade and a few other OL to address those needs. We also signed Stoutmire and re-signed Fox, and now have drafted Landry. DLine was a need, but there are still some good DTs that will be available from rounds 5 and on. I think our pass-rush will be fine, if Carter plays like he did at the end of last season. We did need a replacement for Daniels...he's getting old.

EDIT: My wish list was Okoye first, but Jamaal Anderson was second.

And your "best" Def. player is a FS and they drafted a FS........

:laugh: In Gregg's system, the safeties are pretty interchangeable. Both Landry and Taylor are good in coverage AND in run support...so at any given time the QB will have no idea who is dropping back and who will be in run support or blitzing. That sounds like a strength to me. :whoknows:

i love Landry as a player, but with no pass rush i really do not know how esffective he and ST can be...but I guess we will all find out in 2007

If Carter continues to play well, and Fletcher gets the defense together, the Skins defense will be back in the top 10 again, guaranteed.

LB's who can shed blocks and a secondary that can cover helps the pass rush. Carter is certainly gonna be better the beginning of this season than he was last. A healthy Springs ( he wasn't 100% at any point last year) is huge and the addition of Smoot is nothing to sneeze at if he plays anyhwhere near the level he played at before he left.

It's been said repeatedly. Some people like to ignore the answers in favor of repeating the same dumb questions at every convenience.

See you next thread TRPB

:laugh: leave me alone....

besides, when asked why your secondary sucks the most popular answer "no pass rush"

when asked about the pass rush most popular answer "bad/injured secondary"

I bet, if you would have landed Adams or Anderson, you would have been saying, weel "NOW THAT WE HAVE A PASS RUSH OUR SECONDARY WILL BE GREAT!!!!:doh:

Seriusly, you will need better pass rushers then Carter and daniels. And what makes you think Carter will be any better? Just because he played better at the end of the season?

LB, OL, CB/S were our most pressing needs. We signed Smoot, Fletcher, Wade and a few other OL to address those needs. We also signed Stoutmire and re-signed Fox, and now have drafted Landry. DLine was a need, but there are still some good DTs that will be available from rounds 5 and on. I think our pass-rush will be fine, if Carter plays like he did at the end of last season. We did need a replacement for Daniels...he's getting old.

EDIT: My wish list was Okoye first, but Jamaal Anderson was second.

:laugh: In Gregg's system, the safeties are pretty interchangeable. Both Landry and Taylor are good in coverage AND in run support...so at any given time the QB will have no idea who is dropping back and who will be in run support or blitzing. That sounds like a strength to me. :whoknows:

If Carter continues to play well, and Fletcher gets the defense together, the Skins defense will be back in the top 10 again, guaranteed.

as long as it has your gaurantee, then that fine.

Dallas on the otherhand, had the 13rth best D and improved their pass rush. I would also say thats an improvment.

Cowboys. Anytime you can give away a 3rd and a 5th for what could possibly be a top 5 pick, you've set yourself up well in the future. Loved the Spencer pick, absolutely loved it. .

I think Spenser was a good move, but a top 5 pick.......every draft board had him right where you guys got him or in the mid-teens. Dallas made a nice move with Cleveland in that they get the 2008 1st (probably still a top 10 pick) but I think it was the right move by Cleveland.

They got 2 top five ranked players (according to many boards) in 1 day.

Please, try to be honest. The only reason you brought him up was because I said it would be a mistake if the pukes chose him... :laugh:

I named four LBs/DEs who would be bad picks for the pukes. And Spencer was one of them.

and I agreed I didnt like the others EXCEPT Spencer who I said would be a good pick, just like I said.

See I disucssed the Dallas draft on the Cowboys forum not here

Again, is it possible for you to not preface your response with an insult?

You needed a WR, OL, QB, and CB more than this guy.

Spencer wasn't on anyone's radar in pukeville. Everyone thought DE/LB were set.

This is flat out false and you know it, even you thought we would take a LB thats why you named all mid round LBs would be bad picks for Dallas so if we took one you could pretend it was bad

All of my puke friends really are baffled about this one. When they got Cleveland's #1 for trading down, it was awful...and then Jerry did the unthinkable....he traded with a DIVISION RIVAL for a guy who would have been around for a long time.

Suuuuuuuure LMAO I bet you have a bunch of cowboys friends that just hated getting clevelands first and then fixing our pass rush

Please acknowledge that I was the first to mention Spencer on this board....and because he would be a BAD pick for the pukes.

Why woulod I acknowledge something that isnt true, do a search I am SURE you werent the first to mention him

and when you did mention him I said he would be a GOOD pick, and getting a 1st rounder from cleveland along with him was just sweet

I just think it's a wasted pick. That position was adequate with Ellis, until he got hurt last year.

You need WRs.

So that position is adequate with a 32 year old who played 6 games last year

But WR is not adequate with to 32 year old WRs who played 31 games last year combining for over 2000 yards and what 18 TDs?

That position makes sense :laugh:

besides, when asked why your secondary sucks the most popular answer "no pass rush"

No, the most popular answer to THAT question was "Wright sucked, Rumph was worse, no Springs on the field, Prioleau injured on the first play of the season, and Arch was a bust".

And trust me, I'm a Skins fan who actually hangs out in the Stadium forum and READS all the answers given throughout the season to that very question...

when asked about the pass rush most popular answer "bad/injured secondary"

I bet, if you would have landed Adams or Anderson, you would have been saying, weel "NOW THAT WE HAVE A PASS RUSH OUR SECONDARY WILL BE GREAT!!!!:doh:

Seriusly, you will need better pass rushers then Carter and daniels. And what makes you think Carter will be any better? Just because he played better at the end of the season?

Even without a pass rush and a porous run D, we still beat you last year. You act like you blew us out twice last year and we stand no chance this year. Our Defense can't go anywhere but up.

Too much bravado from somebody who's team always craps out in the second half of the season.

really, the only team in the division that DIDN'T make the playoffs, yet no more needs then the rest???

Yeah, and in 2004 we had THE worst offense in the NFC East (hell, in the entire NFL), ended up with a 6-10 record, and we did even less after THAT season than we've done this year, and guess what...we made the playoffs (while the Cowboys sulked at home and watched us do something they're unable to do: win a playoff game :cool: )....Why? Because we didn't have as many holes as merely looking at our record would indicate.

Last season the Skins' offense improved dramatically after Campbell came in for Brunell--far, FAR more lengthy drives, more scoring in the 1st and 3rd quarters (Brunell's offenses couldn't score jack in either of those quarters)...the rushing offense was 4th in the league...Betts came in and ran off one 100 yard game after another, got over 1,000 yards in just over half a season...and the entire offense has had a year in Saunder's scheme to learn it and feel comfortable within it. Oh yeah, and Portis is back 100% healthy and pissed. How many MORE holes did our offense have than the Cowboys, Giants or Eagles have? Name 'em.

The defense needed work but we've done a lot of work TO it. Safety had a hole at the starting position, but not a major one since Prioleau would have most likely started and would have done well...or well enough, if the rest of the defense gets upgraded. WLB was not a hole since we already had players on the team to fill it. MLB wasn't a hole...Marshall would have been like Prioleau in that he would have done well (or well enough), but an upgrade was definitely desired. CB was a HUGE hole in my opinion...one that was filled nicely. And D-line, specifically the left DE, was a hole in my eyes as well, if only because of age. Would love to have a young, pass-rushing DE opposite Carter, but since Williams doesn't send the D-line after the QB in the same ways the rest of the league does (he FAR prefers run-stopping DEs the pass rushing ones...tends to brings those in situationally), Daniels and Wynn may not constitute a "hole"...although I REALLY feel like it is.

So, no...when you actually analyze the team's roster and last three years instead of just looking at the final record and then reacting, the Skins didn't have anymore holes than any other NFC East team.

The way Gregg Williams uses blitzes, it's the safeties, corners and LBs who end up applying pressure on the QB, not the D-line. The Skins have never had a QB-pressuring defensive line under Williams, yet they ranked #3 and #9 in defense in 2004 and 2005...and their sack totals were around 40 sacks each of those seasons. In fact, the DE's sack totals from last season either equaled or surpassed the DE sack totals from the previous two years.

Gibbs and Williams are on record as saying that last year's pathetic defensive performance was not due to the d-line, but more the result of poor LB and secondary play...can't say I blame them considering we were starting Holdman, Wright, Rumph and Vernon fox. Marshall, our MLB, had a down year and is really better suited for the WLB. Washington was injured and missed games as well. Springs everyone knows how many games he missed. And of course Archuletta ended up being benched.

They addressed both the LB and Secondary positions this offseason with the signing of Fletcher and Smoot and the drafting of what looks to be a stud of a safety in Landry. Fletcher is a HUGE upgrade over Marshall and Marshall/McIntosh should be a HUGE upgrade over Holdman. Smoot will be a HUGE upgrade over Wright and Rumph combined, and Landry will most likely end up being a gigantic upgrade over the likes of Fox, Stoudmire and Reed Doughty lol...

I was hoping for Adams or Anderson, but I also was hoping for Landry if we couldn't trade down and pick up good value for the #6.

Sorry that I'm quoting this entire post, but I love watching the naysayers and opposing team fans ignore this excellent post because it smashes their argument.

The dallas fans around here are awfully defensive about their draft. Methinks the Jerry factor is already kicking in. ;)

dallas:

Liked the Spencer pick, but this stinks of Wade, not Jerry. Especially liked what they got in return for little to no trouble. Beyond that the dallas draft was ho-hum at best. Not addressing the backfield and NT position seems shortsighted, but they seem to have a plan.

NY:

The Giants filled some needs nicely. I think they got better players where they could. They have some other needs, but not pressing ones.

philly:

The eagles seem to know what they're doing most of the time so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt in spite of the Kolb pick. Beyond that it looks like depth depth and more depth.

DC:

The Skins pick is a good one. The best player available was there and they took him. Other players didnt warrant the 6th pick and it doesn't seem like any reasonable offers to trade down occured. Not much more can be said really.

I think there is a certain amount of homerism going round though.

The Redskins D was top ten in 04' and 05' but because there was a drop off in 06' it's perceived that the Skins are full of holes. Not really the case acutally. They addressed the DT position last year in the draft. The DE's at the top of this draft weren't right for our team, especially at 6. They filled the safety need, got depth and starting quality at DB and LB. Unless there's another position I'm missing, it looks like the Skins just need some more development guys at LB, DT and DE. Starters will be fine for another year.

So far today, the Eagles have drafted Dawkins replacement (who went to Clemson and is built just like him) and LJ's replacement.

After Round 2, the Eagles stole Hunt and Bradley who many felt had 1st Rd talent, but would drop into the 2nd and 3rd Rd. I like Bradley because he is a true SAM who can cover the NFC East TEs.

So with the exception of Kolb and the ND guy, I say its been okay (C+) so far....

Archived