Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFC East drafts, first 3 rounds

Jeremiah_Johnson

Though Kolb comes in a close second, Spencer was the worst pick. He's undersized and with Ellis coming back healthy, he's a wasted pick.

Jerry strikes again!

get off this undersized crap you keep talking about. educate yourself on what this pick was about. how is 270 pounds undersized for an outside linebacker? do you really think they drafted him to play DE? everyone in dallas has already said he will be an outside linebacker. when are you going to compute this fact?

My take is, the Redskins HAD to take Landry. None of the DE/DT were worth the #6 pick. Overall, an average draft, but got a steal in the 6th with Blades.

Eagles? Have no idea what's going on. They needed LB's, S and DT's and went QB with McNabb, Feeley and Holcomb already on the roster.

NYG did well getting Ross, even though there were better CB's on the board, but WR could have waited until the 3rd round. They really should have gone OL in the 2nd.

Dallass got a good player in Spence, but I think they could have got him or a player like him in the 2nd round. Picking up the Brown's #1 in 08 was their best move. Spencer is tweener and 260 that might get pushed around at DE. I think TerranceNewman41 said that wasn't the right type of player to get. Otherwise, ho-hum draft.

I know it's been mentioned numerous times on this thread, but I'll try to explain again. Spencer is not an "undersized defense end". He's an OLB in the 3-4 and he's a monster. He goes over 260 lbs. Last year he had 96 tackles and 26 1/2 tackles for loss, and that was from the DE position. That's almost unheard of. I personally didn't know a great deal about him, but he was mentioned repeatedly on Cowboys Zone by numerous posters prior to the draft. He's extremely strong (check out his lifting numbers) and he's a great edge rusher as well. The botton line is he's a prototypical OLB in the 3-4. He plays the run very well and has a lot of speed off the edge. Pairing him with Ware will creat a lot of problems for opposing offenses.

For those of you that posted that Spencer wasn't a need for Dallas, well, you should do your research before posting. Our BIGGEST need was another pass rusher. We got it.

I know it's been mentioned numerous times on this thread, but I'll try to explain again. Spencer is not an "undersized defense end". He's an OLB in the 3-4 and he's a monster. He goes over 260 lbs. Last year he had 96 tackles and 26 1/2 tackles for loss, and that was from the DE position. That's almost unheard of. I personally didn't know a great deal about him, but he was mentioned repeatedly on Cowboys Zone by numerous posters prior to the draft. He's extremely strong (check out his lifting numbers) and he's a great edge rusher as well. The botton line is he's a prototypical OLB in the 3-4. He plays the run very well and has a lot of speed off the edge. Pairing him with Ware will creat a lot of problems for opposing offenses.

For those of you that posted that Spencer wasn't a need for Dallas, well, you should do your research before posting. Our BIGGEST need was another pass rusher. We got it.

Few if any said Spencer wasn't a need for dallas. What was said is that no dallas fan on here when talking about needs put OLB or DE as a major need. Check the posts. Most dallas fans were talking OL, WR, and DB.

IMO Spencer was a good pick up. Assuming he transitions to OLB from putting a hand on the ground quickly he'll be great on the outside.

I don't know nor do I care what Dallas fans were posting on a Skin's board. Go to the Dallas boards and you'll see that many of us were keenly aware we needed to shore up our pass rush. Most of us knew it was out biggest need. Those that were clammoring for a WR lack basic knowledge. If we had drafted a WR with the 22nd pick, he would have sat the bench this coming season. Was any receiver we could get knock Owens or Glenn out of the starting lineup? No. A rookie wouldn't have even taken time away from Crayton. Now next year, we'll most likely draft a good WR. We simply didn't need one this year.

If we had drafted a WR with the 22nd pick, he would have sat the bench this coming season. Was any receiver we could get knock Owens or Glenn out of the starting lineup? No. A rookie wouldn't have even taken time away from Crayton.

If Ellis is healthy, as he says he is, Spencer isn't going to see any time except on ST.

Wonderful logic, though.

Two things. Ellis is 32 and coming off a torn achilles. Tough injury to overcome though I hear he's ahead of schedule. Even if Ellis plays and plays well, at 32, it will be in his and our best interest to play both Ellis and Spencer in order to keep Ellis' number of plays down. Besides that, who says Spencer won't just beat Ellis out even if he is healthy? Regardless, we have a lot of options getting to the QB this year. I also expect Ellis to also play some end when we play nickel, just like he did last year before he got hurt. Spencer will play and contribute considerably this year. Bank on it. Our pass rush will eat QBs alive, for a change.

I don't know nor do I care what Dallas fans were posting on a Skin's board. Go to the Dallas boards and you'll see that many of us were keenly aware we needed to shore up our pass rush. Most of us knew it was out biggest need. Those that were clammoring for a WR lack basic knowledge. If we had drafted a WR with the 22nd pick, he would have sat the bench this coming season. Was any receiver we could get knock Owens or Glenn out of the starting lineup? No. A rookie wouldn't have even taken time away from Crayton. Now next year, we'll most likely draft a good WR. We simply didn't need one this year.

Why are you here then? I cant really find a single reason except perhaps to go a trolling.

As for this above comment, it goes in the BFD file. Every good player in the draft was also mentioned on the ES board and every position was discussed as a possible need. It would be very easy to hang this "we all thought we needed player X for position Y" on any player for any team on their own message board.

More importantly, I dont hang out on dallas message boards so I wouldn't be aware of the topic of discussion on said boards. Think I'll also file above comment in the "I said it so it's true" file.

But seriously, do you have anything of value to add to the conversation? Or are you just another hater come over to attack the Skins cause you're gettin' nervous?

Forgot to mention, our new more aggressive defensive scheme will put more emphasis on pressuring the QB. The more players you have to rotate in, the better off you are. We have loads of young athletic talent on the DL and at LB. Now they'll finally get to show it rather than playing the conservative two-gap style Parcells employed.

Two things. Ellis is 32 and coming off a torn achilles. Tough injury to overcome though I hear he's ahead of schedule. Even if Ellis plays and plays well, at 32, it will be in his and our best interest to play both Ellis and Spencer in order to keep Ellis' number of plays down. Besides that, who says Spencer won't just beat Ellis out even if he is healthy? Regardless, we have a lot of options getting to the QB this year. I also expect Ellis to also play some end when we play nickel, just like he did last year before he got hurt. Spencer will play and contribute considerably this year. Bank on it. Our pass rush will eat QBs alive, for a change.

Your point was that the pukes didn't draft a WR because he'd sit on the bench...did you forget that?

No, not a hater nor a troll. Not my style. Just a football fan. I just find some of the posters here......well, amusing to say the least. Maybe you guys should have a Cowboys 101 class online since you're all so concerned about who we draft and what our needs happen to be. Funny you ask why I'm here when you have so many threads and posts about the Cowboys. ?????????

I guess you think you can post over and over about the Cowboys and not expect any replys to the faulty logic employed?

Forgot to mention, our new more aggressive defensive scheme will put more emphasis on pressuring the QB. The more players you have to rotate in, the better off you are. We have loads of young athletic talent on the DL and at LB. Now they'll finally get to show it rather than playing the conservative two-gap style Parcells employed.

Where was that young athletic talent on the DL and LB last year? You've added one guy...a rookie, mind you.

Your point was that the pukes didn't draft a WR because he'd sit on the bench...did you forget that?

No, I didn't forget it. Spencer will not sit the bench whether or not Ellis returns healthy. He will play and play a lot. The LB position is a bit different in the 3-4. The Dallas defense will employ lots of different looks this year with their LBs and DLs, and will use numerous players to do it. Besides that, 3-4 defenses just require more LBs than 4-3 defenses. Pretty logical. A rookie receiver would not see much time at all in our normal offensive set, or even a three receiver set. That's the difference.

Where was that young athletic talent on the DL and LB last year? You've added one guy...a rookie, mind you.

It was handcuffed by Parcells' conservative defensive approach. That won't be the case this year. How many times does this have to be explained to you? Nevermind, I don't have all night to try.

If Ellis is healthy, as he says he is, Spencer isn't going to see any time except on ST.

Wonderful logic, though.

Or they could have drafted FS Meriweather, who would have unseated Hamlin providing a great compliment to Williams.

His cover ability from the safety spot would have allowed Williams to stay in the box and to blitz more plus would have allowed more time for Ware and company to attack the QB. :2cents:

You're right. We couldn've done that, but they decided to go with more pressure. Our secondary is fine. We just need to put more pressure on the QB. Our defense went down hill last year when Ellis went down. Prior to that, we had a top 5 defense in the league. Not rocket science. Any good QB will beat any secondary if they have all day to sit in the pocket.

You guys seem to think having both a healthy Ellis and Spencer is a bad thing. I fail to see any logic there. I think it will be a very, very good thing. Ellis, Ware, and Spencer give us some very good pass rushers. Carpenter and Burnett can also rush the passer, as can DE Jason Hatcher. With the exception of Ellis, all of these guys are very young and will only get better. We're in a very good position with our defense for years to come.

By the way, you guys might want to follow suit and try to build a decent DL and add some young LBs. You're gonna get killed this year with what you have up front.
I don't follow. Besides the injury bug hitting our defense hard last year, the line was addressed in FA and through the draft. There were games where two rookies started at DT and the now 27 year olds Carter and Evans at DE.

LB is one of our strongest positions. The first pick in last years draft, Fletcher acquired in FA and this years draft provided two backups.

The defensive back field not only gets back last years starting FS who went down on the first play of the season, but also Stoutmire and the #6 pick in the draft to fill at safety. Smoot and Macklin are new at CB with A healthy Rogers and Springs.

Maybe you guys should have a Cowboys 101 class online since you're all so concerned about who we draft and what our needs happen to be. Funny you ask why I'm here when you have so many threads and posts about the Cowboys.

I guess you think you can post over and over about the Cowboys and not expect any replys to the faulty logic employed?

Like I said, trolling.

It was handcuffed by Parcells' conservative defensive approach. That won't be the case this year. How many times does this have to be explained to you? Nevermind, I don't have all night to try.

I find it funny how much hate goes towards Parcells now that he's gone. I notice the same thing with Zim now that he's flown the coup as well. I also noticed the same disdain when Peyton took off. That worked out well. ;)

By the way, you guys might want to follow suit and try to build a decent DL and add some young LBs. You're gonna get killed this year with what you have up front.

LOL, guess you didnt watch the draft.

As for D-Line, we drafted 2 DT's and signed a FA DE last year.

This year we drafted two LB's who by all accounts were steals in the 5th and 6th, plus signed another in FA and drafted 1 more last year.

More importantly, D-line in Williams system doesnt make the plays, they merely clog the middle and occupy blockers keeping LB's and DBs clean to make plays, something Our D-line did in spite of injuries.

It was our injuries to LB's and DB's that caused failure in the defense. That has been fixed thanks to some good drafting and FA pick ups. I think it's unwise to question other peoples knowlege when you lack so much yourself.

Archived