Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Don't bring sexy back.

Rodriggo

Betts benefitted from the favorable play calling toward the end of they year and the OL was playing its best in a while. I am excited because I think Todd Wade may play better than Dock and CP will have a great year like in '05. Plus in pass protection, it will be nice to have pretty much two tackles playing on the left side of the ball.

That is true. I def. think that having Wade, as a converted LT, on the left side will vastly improve our line...as long as they can play together. Wade is enormous. I really don't think we're going to miss Dock all that much at all. Good for him though, in getting all that money. Can't say that I wouldn't have done the same...just not in Buffalo...ugh.

Every year between the time the season ends and round 1 of the draft we get seduced by the sexy. (credit to nachol) Sexy as a state of mind, independent from the draft, is what brought Deion and Bruce Smith here, it's what gave us two years of Spurrier instead of two years of Marty, it's what ran out Brad Johnson, and traded away a shut down corner for a two down back who, no matter how hard we wish it, is still not as good as his videogame doppelganger. Sexy also clouds our judgement, it convinces us that a raw talent can really anchor a top flight secondary on snot bubbles alone. The Redskins are not sexy, they've never been sexy, and they should never strive to be.

Calvin Johnson would be tempting if we were picking #2 or #3, but at #6?! There's no way he falls to us, so that means that if we want him we have to sacrifice which to me is insane. Even if we didn't have a WR that can turn a five yard hitch into a seventy yard TD it still wouldn't make sense. As disastrous as the offense was last year it could have been much worse considering that we went from Bruhell (washed up four years ago) to Campbell, a relative rookie. But the defense absolutely KILLED us last year. 32nd in turnovers with 12, 31st in made 3rd downs, 26th in 3rd down %, 168 passing first downs, and 19 total sacks. We need to pressure the ******* QB, We need a ******* DE!

This weekend, sexy is lurking, don't give in.

By the way I want to wish everybody a happy start to the new season this Saturday.

Good post, Rodriggo, you might want to save this thread to post each year around the draft seasons.

PS, I would be happy with a DT. :cool: :cool:

Carried this team?!?! How can you compare things that had no impact on that run with actual plays and events that happened and affected our performance independent of what Portis did? I'll give you the spin move in the backfield TD against Philly as Portis's shining moment, but other than that he was what he we thought he was.

Suffice to say I underestimate Portis's impact on this team while you vastly overrate it. Lets agree to disagree. Let me also say that there is nothing wrong with a negative GPA and that my favorite kind of weather is partly polka-dotted with a slight drizzling of soy sauce.

Uh. Sorry. No. Portis's runs were fantastic. He didn't get the record by falling down every two seconds. Remember him on the back of Sellers? Without that play, we don't win. Remember him having the most consecutive 100-yard games in our then-73-year history? Remember him having the number 3 yards per carry for a back who's played over 50 games behind those forgettable guys, something like Jim Brown and Barry Sanders? I don't back down from my point. Portis carried the team in 2005. Also, remember that, at one point, Portis was averaging 76 yards and one touchdown per carry for us. :cheers:

Oh, and I wasn't the one who brought up pointless plays that actually had nothing to do with Portis, I merely expanded upon your point. :)

I'm a real jerk when it comes to arguing, but never forget, I love you for being a Redskins fan, even if you obviously didn't watch the 2005 season. ;)

If, and its a big IF... Betts fixes his fumble issue and blocks better and I take him over Portis. Now, I do think that Betts took advantage of defenses backing up once JC started, he did tend to chuck it downfield more.

Okay, I had to edit, lets all just agree to the fact we got the best tandem in the NFL. Cool?

How about a blocking scheme that opens holes for Portis?

If, and its a big IF... Betts fixes his fumble issue and blocks better and I take him over Portis. Now, I do think that Betts took advantage of defenses backing up once JC started, he did tend to chuck it downfield more.

Okay, I had to edit, lets all just agree to the fact we got the best tandem in the NFL. Cool?

Soooooo, if Betts were more like Portis, then he'd be better than Portis?

Great argument ya got there!

Soooooo, if Betts were more like Portis, then he'd be better than Portis?

Great argument ya got there!

Who is arguing?

NICE COMMENT YA GOT THERE!

People have 1 problem with Betts and that is the fact he has fumbled? Yes or No?

Now, my only other possible issue with Betts is he doesnt seem to block as well as Portis, which I do not recall ANYONE ELSE having an issue, I will wait for your reply.

The bottom line is that Betts does not have the breakaway ability that Portis has. That's the biggest difference. Maybe you don't put a lot of stock into that, but its nice to have a RB who can make that game changing play. I really see no need to compare them - we have both and that's great. It's just laughable that anyone would consider Portis a "Two down back." (Im not even sure thats a real term)

How about a blocking scheme that opens holes for Portis?

blocking scheme? Was it that or perhaps JC throwing the ball deep since his first pass? Thats the unknown and thats why I just say we have a great if not the best tandem backfield in the league.

Im not a fottball expert, nor is anyone else here although they think so. Personally I think if a qb is always throwing short or handing it off Im going to bring all my defensive up close. Once I feel a threat deep exsists Im back up, opening up a running game.

Who is arguing?

People have 1 problem with Betts and that is the fact he has fumbled? Yes or No?

Now, my only other possible issue with Betts is he doesnt seem to block as well as Portis, which I do not recall ANYONE ELSE having an issue, I will wait for your reply.

1) Sending me a PM entitled "great argument" whose body was simply composed of the words "your an idiot" was not only mature, it was a clear mastery of English.

2) In case you missed it, an argument is the point which you are trying to make. Argument, position, point, opinion, etc. are all synonymous in this instance. Sorry for your misunderstanding.

3) You're arguing that if Betts acts more like Portis, in terms of not fumbling and improving his blocking, then he'll be more valuable than Portis.

Brilliant.

:jerk:

blocking scheme? Was it that or perhaps JC throwing the ball deep since his first pass? Thats the unknown and thats why I just say we have a great if not the best tandem backfield in the league.

Im not a fottball expert, nor is anyone else here although they think so. Personally I think if a qb is always throwing short or handing it off Im going to bring all my defensive up close. Once I feel a threat deep exsists Im back up, opening up a running game.

I don't know.

But I do know the offense they ran with Portis vice Betts was different.

Who is arguing?

No, I also think he just isn't as talented as CP. I believe CP has the cutback ability to break the big one where I know Betts runs straight very hard and occasionally makes a cut. CP is just more elusive (talented).

No, I also think he just isn't as talented as CP. I believe CP has the cutback ability to break the big one where I know Betts runs straight very hard and occasionally makes a cut. CP is just more elusive (talented).

Bingo!

And it's not to say that Betts in any way sucks, it's just that Portis is better.

1) Sending me a PM entitled "great argument" whose body was simply composed of the words "your an idiot" was not only mature, it was a clear mastery of English.

2) In case you missed it, an argument is the point which you are trying to make. Argument, position, point, opinion, etc. are all synonymous in this instance. Sorry for your misunderstanding.

3) You're arguing that if Betts acts more like Portis, in terms of not fumbling and improving his blocking, then he'll be more valuable than Portis.

Brilliant.

I never once said "if betts acts more like Portis" for that, and repeating it over your an idiot. Dont put words in my mouth or take what I say out of context. Mastery of English? Are we getting graded? Didnt think so.

Him acting more like Portis would be a lot more then 2 skill related tendencies, for that matter I could be saying he act more like LT.

Spare me dude, make a point of the topic and if you have something personal to post PM me or meet me in person.

I totally agree with that, Im not trying to say anything negative about Portis.

I never once said "if betts acts more like Portis" for that, and repeating it over your an idiot. Dont put words in my mouth or take what I say out of context. Mastery of English? Are we getting graded? Didnt think so.

Him acting more like Portis would be a lot more then 2 skill related tendencies, for that matter I could be saying he act more like LT.

Spare me dude, make a point of the topic and if you have something personal to post PM me or meet me in person.

1) Portis has no fumbling problem. Portis is one of the best blocking backs to see the field. You want Betts to not fumble, just like Portis doesn't fumble. You want Betts to block better, just like Portis blocks so well.

2) Stumbling over your incorrect words does not make your argument better.

3) I quoted everything that you said, so nothing was out of context, as everyone can see from this entire thread.

4) I'm calling you out for NOT responding to the thread and instead sending me a PM which bolstered my argument of your ineptitude when it comes to debating by so eloquently saying "your an idiot".

Brilliant.

Bingo!

And it's not to say that Betts in any way sucks, it's just that Portis is better.

Exactly, but Betts lovers will take offense anyways. :rolleyes:

If Betts wasn't such a nice guy and a fan favorite, I would have traded him because of his inflated value after last season and gotten another pick(s) for this draft.(Denver really really wanted him) You can draft another young tailback in the middle of the draft that can run straight very very hard. Jerrius Norwood of the Atlanta Falcons is example of this. This 3rd rounder hit the hole against us just like Betts, only he's faster and bigger.

He's a two down back because he's a two down back. There are moments in games when he's not on the field for two consecutive series, injured or not. To me that's ridiculous. I like Portis but I don't feel as though he's lived up to the value we let go for him. Granted Champ probably wouldn't have stayed but what would you rather have a more stout secondary and a Betts at HB or the situation we find ourselves in now with Carlos Rogers as our No. 1 CB? Portis has had his great moments but to me he hasn't even attained Terry Allen status.

Would Champ have ever single-handedly carried us into the playoffs? No.

I have a few issues with your first post Rodrigo....

-We sucked before any of those moves were ever made anyway.

-The only problem I have with the Portis for Champ trade was the 2nd round charity gift we gave Denver (But man, I really do miss good ole Champ :( )

-Portis is the soul of that offense. His personality makes the game fun and easier for the rest of the players. And fans. And he's got heart, he tries hard.

-I have a problem with your DE pushing...

See the sig opinion you have forgets that we did have a Phillip Daniels who helped push us to the playoffs and was key in beating the Eagles 2 seasons ago. While I admit he's nothing special, he did have his great moments. Also a Carter that came on strong at the end of last year once he got settled in the system. As well as Evans who is a decent pass rusher. But it also fails to see that in all this time we've had these QB pressure/Run stopping problems that we have never had a good Defensive Tackle besides Griffen to free up the rest of our players to have one on one or better matchups. I love big Joe but he's nothing more than a situational role player guy for rotation. And the other 2 I don't see any real promise in them no matter how much some fans love Goldston. He was just as much part of the problem last year. We need a solution and if you aren't the solution, then we need to bring in someone who is. Those DEs we got can't do anything to pressure the QB if they are getting double teamed all the time by blockers. At disruptive DT would free them up (as well as everyone else) to do their jobs.

Other than that, I do agree with your general notion. We need to take a step back and breath. I'd love to have Calvin Johnson, but at what price? If we have to give away our 3 Lombardi Trophies and Danny's grandma to do it, no thanks.

And if we stay at number 6, I'd have to go for the better value and seriously consider Laron Landry. We need the DT more but no DT is a number 6 value pick and Landry looks like a pro bowler. His cover deep skills have me a little worried though as I'm fearful he may just be a big hitter rather than the cover safety we need at some points. The good thing here is at least we'll have Preioleou and Stoutmire back.

Oh yeah, my biggest frustration with that whole original "sexy FA" era you talked about was Snyder releasing Brian Mitchell! I mean this was the leader of the team and the only bright spot all of those years we had to suffer through losing season after losing season! Not to mention he was drafted by Joe Gibbs. That one really ticked me off!

It's not about stats. The fact that a guy like Terry Allen, a free agent with two bad knees can get 1353 yds in a season is evidence that high priced running backs are not worth it. I'm sorry but he simply is not a workhorse. He's good but he's not a workhorse. Riggins, Davis, Allen, Byner, those were workhorses. We didn't win 5 in a row in 2005 solely because of Portis. If Rock doesn't lose his mind in St.Louis we don't go. If Antonio ******* Brown doesn't return a punt in Arizona we don't go. Portis was huge in that run but not the only reason bro.

Without Portis in that 5 game run we had we had no type of offense. Yes Rock had a 100 yards against St.Louis but so did CliPo. CliPo is definitely a workhorse he does it all. No one else at RB for us can BLOCK for us like he does. He saved Bruhell's arse plenty of times. He has good hands coming out of the back field. Hell without him in 05 we definitely wouldn't have been talking playoffs.

He is just as much of a workhorse as any of those guys you mentioned.

Isn't anyone that we pick at #6 a sexy pick? No matter what if we pick at 6 or trade up its going to be a sexy pick. If it weren't a sexy pick at 6 then we would take a Jarvis Moss or Aaron Ross at 6 that wouldn't be sexy. Or even taking Justin Harrell at 6. No matter what if we move up or stay put its still a sexy pick. Even if we take Landry thats a sexy pick.

So Im sorry to say that if we pick at 6 then its going to be a sexy pick. Because if it weren't we would take someone that noone feels that would be deserving of a #6 pick. So how aren't we bringing sexy back regardless? Unless we trade down to the mid to late of the 1st round. Thats the only way it wont be a sexy pick.:cheers:

Without Portis in that 5 game run we had we had no type of offense. Yes Rock had a 100 yards against St.Louis but so did CliPo. CliPo is definitely a workhorse he does it all. No one else at RB for us can BLOCK for us like he does. He saved Bruhell's arse plenty of times. He has good hands coming out of the back field. Hell without him in 05 we definitely wouldn't have been talking playoffs.

He is just as much of a workhorse as any of those guys you mentioned.

Isn't anyone that we pick at #6 a sexy pick? No matter what if we pick at 6 or trade up its going to be a sexy pick. If it weren't a sexy pick at 6 then we would take a Jarvis Moss or Aaron Ross at 6 that wouldn't be sexy. Or even taking Justin Harrell at 6. No matter what if we move up or stay put its still a sexy pick. Even if we take Landry thats a sexy pick.

So Im sorry to say that if we pick at 6 then its going to be a sexy pick. Because if it weren't we would take someone that noone feels that would be deserving of a #6 pick. So how aren't we bringing sexy back regardless? Unless we trade down to the mid to late of the 1st round. Thats the only way it wont be a sexy pick.:cheers:

::sigh:: CliPo?

You crazy New Jersians! :cheers:

Archived