Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Amazing 'dolphin boat' which can leap out of the water

China

Amazing 'dolphin boat' which can leap out of the water

by LAURA ROBERTS

Last updated at 23:00pm on 1st January 2007

It looks like something from a James Bond film. Shaped exactly like a dolphin, this boat is the latest toy for millionaire adrenaline junkies. The Seabreacher can jump 10 feet in the air and even perform acrobatic tricks.

Created by two water sport fanatics, New Zealander Rob Innes, 33, and Californian Dan Piazza, the Seabreacher is made of out of fibre glass, stainless steel and aluminium and uses the discarded canopies of US fighter jets.

The two-seater craft can submerge 2 ft underwater for around 20 seconds at a time creating the dolphin-like dive effect.

Dolphin1_468x597.jpg

The price for a custom-made Seabreacher is not for the fainthearted and would cost in the region of £40,000.

Mr Innes said: "Because it's so light it pops out of the water like a cork. It can fly up to 10 feet in the air even if you are going at 15 mph.

"It's really just for fun. It's a 3-D jet ski. We liken it to a monster truck. In the end we would like to turn it into a recognised sport as you can race and jump. You can do a single or double roll in the Seabreacher which is great fun though the landing is quite rough.

Click on the link for the full article

That is awesome. I've had that idea for a decade, but never really did anything about it because I didn't think it was feasible. :dunce: I wonder how these will sell? 10 feet in the air HAS to be quite jarring when you hit the water.

Translation: Something cool just came out and I want to act like it was my idea.;)

Does anyone else find it a little worrisome that they use the canopies that the US military have deemed not safe enough to use on planes?

"...and uses the discarded canopies of US fighter jets."

A seagull at 4g's or whatever speed the jet fighters reach is a much greater force then the glass hitting the water from 10 feet high (if it even hits glass-first). :)

A seagull at 4g's or whatever speed the jet fighters reach is a much greater force then the glass hitting the water from 10 feet high (if it even hits glass-first). :)

Oh I'm sure. I just imagine the following scenario:

Tech Sergeant: "This one's no good at all. Way too dangerous to put on. Throw it away, and order a new one."

Dolphin boat guy: "I mean...if you're not gonna use it..."

Oh I'm sure. I just imagine the following scenario:

Tech Sergeant: "This one's no good at all. Way too dangerous to put on. Throw it away, and order a new one."

Dolphin boat guy: "I mean...if you're not gonna use it..."

:laugh: Yeah, I get what you're saying. Its just that "Way too dangerous to put on" in the jet-fighter world is entirely different than in the world of watersports. :)

I think you mean Mach number, not g's. But Mach 4 is faster than fighters cruise. Not that you really care.

Hasn't this thing existed for nearly a decade? I can recall that I saw this for the first time no less than 5 years ago...

From their website:

The first Dolphin to be designed and built by Innespace was Sweet Virgin Angel. She was completed in 2001 and has been performing at shows and events for four years.

Archived