Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is a CORE REDSKIN?

MRMADD

What do we do with our first pick?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. What do we do with our first pick?

• Draft LaRon Landry S
    • Draft Amobi Okoye DT
    • Draft Brady Quinn QB
    • Draft Jamaal Anderson DE
    • Trade pick for Jenkins and 14th pick, Carolina’s in first
    • Trade pick to Miami for 9 pick and 60 pick
    • Trade pick to NE for 24 pick and 28 th pick
    • Trade to Atlanta for 8 pick 75 pick and 109 pick
    • Other legitimate option

Here's Joe's definition:

Character. What kind of person is he? Second, smarts. Football smarts. And how tough is he? Skill comes last.

Very interesting. Would you rate them in that order? And how would John Riggins or Dexter Manley qualify on that list? What happens to Sean Taylor?

Here's Joe's definition:

Very interesting. Would you rate them in that order? And how would John Riggins or Dexter Manley qualify on that list? What happens to Sean Taylor?

Is your biggoted arse suggesting that Dexter was somehow not football smart?

You're just a troll, go away.

DON'T FEED THE TROLL!

4-character(in lollipop land it's first;real world-last)

I'm gonna have to disagree here, there are a lot of quality teams out there that put an emphasis on character and are successful with that approach. I don't think any organization can experience sustained success if their members have character issues

Is your biggoted arse suggesting that Dexter was somehow not smart?

So I'm a bigot because I singled out Dexter... and John Riggins? I don't know if you have a color TV yet -- it's only 2007 -- but John is white. And you've equated character with intelligence, which is a mistake of such collosal idiocy that I can only conclude that you'd score pretty low on Joe's 'core Redskin' methodology.

Dexter Manley managed to spend years in college without ever learning to read and has subsequently wasted years of his life because of addiction. It's safe to question his character based on his decisions.

And I love Manley as a player.

Smarts: The ability to adapt in the dynamic, complex system that is football. The ability to absorb a coach's specific system and implement it in your mind.

Skill: Skill is nothing without smarts. Everyone on the field, which you may debate, has a skillset that far surpasses yours. But it takes a special skill to be a playmaker; the go to guy.

Character: Otherwise known as leadship qualities and discipline. Look, the real leaders of football teams is the coaching, but having an influence directly on the field instills a motivation in others and facilitates the ideals of a true team, and to some extent, brotherhood.

Toughness: To be completely honest with you, I think toughness plays directly into character. If a player truely believes he's a "tough-guy" he's probably going to wind up being a detriment to the team. The really tough players are the one's that go out, take their licks, implement their role, and have a perfect balance a swagger and respect. That's character baby.

Joe Theismann,Art Monk and the others of the posse plus the hogs all had character and were very talented,as far as Dexter Manley he had issues as a person (mostly his nose),but the staff could not see things like that coming perhaps.And Riggo was an eccentric player with his own faults,but still Gibbs was the one that came to his home asking him to play because he recognized a talent that outweighed the issues.Im sure Gibbs beleives ,in that order, of what a core redskin is but he is not one to overlook talent for minor faults,and if i were to make assumptions (which i am) im sure Gibbs always has put more importance on character, over the importance of statistics.Which is why you gotta love the guy,not just as the coach that brought us to glory,but as a good and decent guy with morales.

Joe Theismann,Art Monk and the others of the posse plus the hogs all had character and were very talented,as far as Dexter Manley he had issues as a person (mostly his nose),but the staff could not see things like that coming perhaps.

They also ignored the fact that he couldn't read when he was drafted. Campbell's Wonderlic must have been off the chart compared to Dexter's.

Core Redskins SHOULD be good players that we DRAFT or sign as rookie FA's that bust their asses to make and start on the team. Like in 1981 when the team got about 10 starter ROOKIES in the same year. Most of those guys started for a decade or more.

Pierce and Smoot prove that even "CORE REDSKINS" run off when money calls. So maybe the term is obsolete. Or maybe players are only "CORE REDSKINS" as long as they take the low-ball home team contract offer. That makes Betts the only "CORE REDSKINS" for as long as I can remember.

It would have to be a player who:

- sincerely feels honored to wear burgundy & gold

- understands the proud tradition of this franchise

- has upstanding character and refuses to embarrass the team and the city

- has "football" smarts and is a student of the game

- gives his all for his team and his teammates, never taking a play off, even in practice

- is reliable, dependable, and takes responsibility for his performance

- feels it's truly a priviledge to play this game

Do the Redskins have any players who fit that description? Maybe one: James Thrash. Perhaps another: Ladell Betts. Pick a third? Mike Sellars. Or Jon Jansen. Or Chris Samuels. Or Randy Thomas. Or Rock Cartwright. If we're lucky? Chris Cooley.

*edited to include more players I would consider to meet the above definition.

Is your biggoted arse suggesting that Dexter was somehow not football smart?

DON'T FEED THE TROLL!

I can't remember which of the hogs (Jacoby or Bostic) said that Dexter was caught reading a magazine upside down on a team flight. While I don't know the guy who made the original statement, I think bigotry doesn't have anything to do with the assumption he wasn't football smart.

I'd like to believe that a core Redskin in the age of Free Agency would be the player who not only has a good image (on and off the field), but who also moves to this area and becomes a part of the community here.

Look at the players who have retired from the Redskins and settled here... In my mind, they will always be core Redskins no matter if we got them through Free Agency or in the draft (Ken Harvey, Jeff Bostic, Darrell Green, Joe Jacoby, Charles Mann, Joe Theismann etc)...

On the current roster, I'm not sure if any players have truly "settled" here. Many of them head back to Florida and to their real headquarters in the offseason. Might be an interesting thread on it's own.

Archived