Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Blue Angels Crash

mjah

http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSN2122401820070421

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A jet fighter flown by the U.S. Navy Blue Angels demonstration team crashed on Saturday in South Carolina eyewitnesses said.

There was no word on the fate of the pilot.

The show in Beaufort, South Carolina was attended by thousands of spectators.

"They were doing maneuvers and generally when the planes loop around they cross the runway and then turn around and basically when they turned around we saw a cloud of black smoke," said Brett Hindshaw, a South African who was visiting Beaufort for the air show.

"We started counting and we saw five aircraft. Four of them landed but the lead pilot circled over the accident sight and then one or two military helicopters took off and went in that direction," he told Reuters by telephone.

"Then all the ambulances and military fire trucks stationed along the runway took off."

Witnesses said one of the six Blue Angels jets disappeared as the planes flew low in close formation behind a grove of trees.

One witness, Fred Yelinek, told CNN the jet went down in a high-density residential area and debris hit at least one house and cars, but there was no sign of injuries to people on the ground. He said there was a "huge fireball" at the crash site.

from my Aunt in Beaufort SC:

It was about a mile from our house. It flew over a house that Chuck lives in. He and his wife and three kids were cooking out when it went over them.

They are about a half mile from where it went down. They heard the crash and saw the smoke. He works with Joe as a pest control tech. Several houses in the area were damaged and eight people injured. We don't know the extent of their injuries yet. It is really a shame. Channel 2 showed Brad Renfro flying with the pilot last year. He was 32 years old and his dream was always to fly with the Blue Angels. His family was here in Beaufort watching the demonstrations. So ,so sad. Love you, Aunt Dianne

That is terrible. :( I love those guys.

Although I must admit that I sometimes wonder how wise it is for them to buzz the skyscrapers in San Francisco as closely as they do. One mistake and the loss would be a lot more than a single pilot.

from my Aunt in Beaufort SC:

It was about a mile from our house. It flew over a house that Chuck lives in. He and his wife and three kids were cooking out when it went over them.

They are about a half mile from where it went down. They heard the crash and saw the smoke. He works with Joe as a pest control tech. Several houses in the area were damaged and eight people injured. We don't know the extent of their injuries yet. It is really a shame. Channel 2 showed Brad Renfro flying with the pilot last year. He was 32 years old and his dream was always to fly with the Blue Angels. His family was here in Beaufort watching the demonstrations. So ,so sad. Love you, Aunt Dianne

the news here in san diego showed one of their reporters flying with him too. he seemed like an awesome guy who realized how lucky he was to be flying with the Blue Angels. i missed the beginning of the episode, but was shocked when they showed his picture with a RIP message below it at the end.

sad day.

Wow, that's sad. I remember when the Thunderbirds had that bad accident back in the day. :(

I remember back when Dulles airport openned up. Expo 72 I think it was. A blue angel died over there at Dulles Airport.

His plane had some type of malfunction. He bailed out successfully. But his parachute landed in the fire from his wreckage. Might have been expo 74.

I remember watching the smoking plane pull out of the formation. I remember seeing the chute and hearing everybody in the crowd cheer cause we thought he was going to be ok... Very sad..

I remember back when Dulles airport openned up. Expo 72 I think it was. A blue angel died over there at Dulles Airport.

His plane had some type of malfunction. He bailed out successfully. But his parachute landed in the fire from his wreckage. Might have been expo 74.

I remember watching the smoking plane pull out of the formation. I remember seeing the chute and hearing everybody in the crowd cheer cause we thought he was going to be ok... Very sad..

I don't know about '74, but the crash at Dulles at Expo 72 was a Thunderbird (Joe Howard) not a Blue Angel.

Sad to hear about another crash. Apparently the Blue Angels have about a 10% fatal crash rate among their members. I guess those are the chances you take when you perform incredible and risky maneuvers.

Archived