Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Draft Situation: Stuck at 6 when the pick comes around

Veretax

If we are stuck at 6 and have not traded down yet I am going to assume the following players are off the board

1. Calvin Johnson (Right now too much buzz amongst the top 3 or 4 to count on him falling, if he falls great, but I doubt it)

2. Joe Thomas (Joe Thomas wont' fall past arizona I think

3. Gaines Adams

4. Jamarcus Russel (won't fall past lions or cleveland)

If that is the case regardless of who # 5 is, if we stay at 6 here is what I think we should do.

1. Amobi Okoye DT (though with his hype growing he might be $5)

2 (tied). Draft Jamal Anderson DE or LaRon Landry (Safety) (I feel these two would have the best shot of the remaining to start first year, but if for some reason we trade down may not be there) I feel its a tough call between these two, because no matter who we pick we don't know whether its an upgrade or not or impact.

4. Adrian Peterson RB (I know everyone says we have a log jam at Running back, but I feel that given a year Peterson could be the best thing we could pick up, Betts Contract is easy to trade, and very cap friendly, and remember the Chiefs drafted johnson to hedge their bet on an injured Preist Holmes, and it worked out well for them.)

5. Adam Carriker DE (He may be the best player out of this draft, but maybe not an initial starter)

6. Alan Branch DT (If we trade down and branch is still on the board he could solidify our DT position for many years, which might make our Dends and Linebackers better.

7. Brady Quinn QB (If we trade down, and quinn is still there (around 12) it would be hard not to take him because he might be the best QB on the board.

8. Ben Rubbs OG (Now it depends on how far down whether he would be a good pick or not, but with Dock gone, this guy could fill his spot or serve as a second tight end in our formations)

9. Paul Posluszny LB (I know we seem stacked at Linebacker, but if we trade down far enough it may be the only position of value left)

10. Jarvis Moss DE (If we trade way down and he is still there Moss could still be a DE we rotate in for some good production

Those are the top ten that I would take, after 5 or so it really depends on a trade down move and how far down the chart we are. Realisitcally I don't know if they would take Peterson or QUinn, but I think they are good value at 6 or further down.

7. Brady Quinn QB (If we trade down, and quinn is still there (around 12) it would be hard not to take him because he might be the best QB on the board.

I think if we are able to trade down, it will be because Quinn has fallen and we get somebody to trade up for him.

Otherwise, I pretty much agree with the players on your list. Some of the analysis...eh. (ie - Carriker being the best player in the draft).

I'm not sure RB is something the Skins will want to take--so if by some strange alignment of the stars Peterson is sitting at 6, I think we'll find a taker on a trade. And while Landry would make fans salivate at the thought of some great monstrous hits, glorious interceptions, and so on, lots of good safeties get exposed by poor D-line play. I personally love our starting tackles, but that's emotional as much as it is based on skill. Philip Daniels is gettin' kind of old, and we need some help on the other end. If we stay at 6, I hope we take an end, not a tackle.

I think in the long run, however, I'd like to see the Skins trade out of 6, down into the mid-range round 1, and pick up a 2--and maybe even a 3. My $.02.

Grubbs or CJ. I've never seen such overrated D-linemen in my life, having recently watched some film clips on our top prospects.

You can only rate those D-linemen on their games against teams with amazing offensive tackles, like that Joe Thomas fella. When they get to the NFL, that's what it will be like. Isn't that right, Mario Williams?

Grubbs or CJ. I've never seen such overrated D-linemen in my life, having recently watched some film clips on our top prospects.

You can only rate those D-linemen on their games against teams with amazing offensive tackles, like that Joe Thomas fella. When they get to the NFL, that's what it will be like. Isn't that right, Mario Williams?

It is difficult to see much if anything from film clips but I know what you mean. Almost all the 'highlight' sacks and tackles for a loss I saw from Adams and Anderson came when they just ran around the tackle untouched or were catching plays from the backside unblocked. Thats will happen very rarely in the NFL.

That said I don't think we have the ammunition to trade up for CJ but I would rather we did that than stay pat and take someone at 6 who we just don't believe is worth the pick. In summary I say either find a way to move up and take CJ or trade back if we can find a partner and take best D'line available - Okoye for me has the best upside but will probably not make much impact as a rookie.

Laron Landry !!! Can you imagine him paired up with Sean Taylor??? Lets see T.O., Glenn and crayton will die over the middle .. The iggles dont have recivers but they still will be to scared to catch... Plaxico go out for a pass and see if your not on IR after the game ! Laron Landry can cover too he could be another Danny Copeland for us.

When we get laron Landry. Secondary is set. Run defense will be pretty solid because of Fletcher and Rocky/ Marshal. Get a good D-end in round 5. Baraka Atkins could be available.

I concur...unless they can trade down a few spots and grab Okoye and get a 2nd rounder to then get a safety to start opposite taylor.

Laron Landry !!! Can you imagine him paired up with Sean Taylor??? Lets see T.O., Glenn and crayton will die over the middle .. The iggles dont have recivers but they still will be to scared to catch... Plaxico go out for a pass and see if your not on IR after the game ! Laron Landry can cover too he could be another Danny Copeland for us.

Please.:doh:

If we dont get any pressure, ST and whoever is back there is going to be burnt toast all day long. In all honesty, if we draft Landry and get no D-line help. Offenses are going to be drolling over exposing those guys time and time again.

If we dont get any pressure, ST and whoever is back there is going to be burnt toast all day long. In all honesty, if we draft Landry and get no D-line help. Offenses are going to be drolling over exposing those guys time and time again.

Thats why i say draft d-ends in the later rounds. Its not about getting a stud position player and every position becuase thats not going to happen. Getting a 6,3 d-end that is pretty decent in the 5th and 6th rounds will help us with the pass rush.

By the way we play in the NFC East. This division doesnt like to pass to much unless your the eagles and thats your only option.

I'm not the biggest branch fan in the world, but there is no way you can't say the kid has potential. One of his biggest plusses was the fact that he knew how to line up the entire defense.

In terms of athletes and potential, he stands with anyone in this draft, including Landry. People are infatuated with flamboyant playmakers. Most people don't hear Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell when they listen to Jimi, they're fixated on the guitar. I can understand why people don't care for Branch. It's hard to judge a player like him when is stats aren't overwhelming and he gives off a soft-spoken vibe in interviews. How that translates to a lack of toughness I have no idea. Coaches/scouts like players with a mean streak. To me competitiveness and love of the game are the key.

Frankly, there's not really much of a gap, if any, between Landry, Adams and Branch. Landry and Adams both have holes in their game. They aren't bulletproof. Carriker and Jamal Anderson IMO are a tier down in athletic ability from the first 3.

I have strong hunch that the Redskins do pick Branch at 6 if they don't flip the pick with Atlanta's 8. After studying up on him, it just makes too much sense unless GW really does think DTs can be picked up easily.

To bring in an idea from another thread...

We can only hope the 'Skins brain trust is as smart as us:

Trade down from the 6 pick into the 10-20 range, and pick up at least a 2nd round pick (*rummages around for draft value chart...)

In the 1st round, take one of those mid-tier D-Linemen: Carriker, etc. In the 2nd...take Weddle, the saftey that so intrigues Clayton and others. Perhaps a reach--but isn't just about every draft pick a reach? If we mystically con a 3rd pick out of this, in the 3rd round, then O-line or D-line depth would be swell.

Laron Landry Please. Thats who i want.

damn straight! Amen! i dont know how i can explain how much i thank you for saying that..

him and taylor in the backfield would just be amazing..i was actually happy about archuleta leaving because ever since he gave up the deep passes and big plays, i started missing ryan clark..players just come on our team and get relaxed because of the millions that are handed to them..

Laron all the way! :wavetowel

To be honest, i really dont see too much lacking in our D-line..we can still get a good solid d-lineman if we wait later in the draft..Laron Landry will be gone in a hurry...

Thats why i say draft d-ends in the later rounds. Its not about getting a stud position player and every position becuase thats not going to happen. Getting a 6,3 d-end that is pretty decent in the 5th and 6th rounds will help us with the pass rush.

By the way we play in the NFC East. This division doesnt like to pass to much unless your the eagles and thats your only option.

exactly im sorry i didnt read that earlier :)

AHHHHH i hate all these our secondary gets burnt we dont need a dback, WE HAD NO D BACKFIELD LAST YEAR, why doesnt everyone understand that, the only starting calibur players we had last year were taylor and rogers, THATS WHY WE WERE GETTING *BURNT* if we had more help, or even stay healthy we wuld be alot better

Archived