Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cross Country Move

MissU28

1) Hi to everyone that I haven't talked to in forever. I don't remember the last time I was on here.

2) I'm moving to San Diego this summer and want some input on the best way to go about it. I don't know whether I should do something like that PODS thing ( www.pods.com )rent a UHaul and tow my car behind, drive my car and attach a trailer, etc.

I don't plan on bringing TOO much stuff with me...just my bed, maybe my dresser and nightstand, my computer, and a bunch of clothes. No couches or extremely large objects.

I know it'll be a 5 day drive to cali... i'd rather drive one of those uhaul trucks and put my car on a flatbed behind me so I don't rack up the miles on it. I would LOVE to not have to drive at all, and just send my car out there and pick it up when it arrives, but I know that would be really expensive.

Basically I need advice on what my best option would be. Of course I'd like to keep costs down, but I know that moving is expensive and I will not throw out suggestions based on price.

One of my friends moved to Cali last summer and he just took with him whatever could fit in his car...but honestly, even all of my clothes couldn't fit in my car, so that's not an option. I would love to start fresh, but my budget won't allow it (and my mother will NOT let me store my crap at her house).

So... anybody ever move cross country and have any ideas/tips? Thanks :)

1) Hi to everyone that I haven't talked to in forever. I don't remember the last time I was on here.

2) I'm moving to San Diego this summer and want some input on the best way to go about it. I don't know whether I should do something like that PODS thing (http://www.pods.com ), rent a UHaul and tow my car behind, drive my car and attach a trailer, etc.

I don't plan on bringing TOO much stuff with me...just my bed, maybe my dresser and nightstand, my computer, and a bunch of clothes. No couches or extremely large objects.

I know it'll be a 5 day drive to cali... i'd rather drive one of those uhaul trucks and put my car on a flatbed behind me so I don't rack up the miles on it. I would LOVE to not have to drive at all, and just send my car out there and pick it up when it arrives, but I know that would be really expensive.

Basically I need advice on what my best option would be. Of course I'd like to keep costs down, but I know that moving is expensive and I will not throw out suggestions based on price.

One of my friends moved to Cali last summer and he just took with him whatever could fit in his car...but honestly, even all of my clothes couldn't fit in my car, so that's not an option. I would love to start fresh, but my budget won't allow it (and my mother will NOT let me store my crap at her house).

So... anybody ever move cross country and have any ideas/tips? Thanks :)

Don't know your budget, but shipping a car from East to West coast costs about $1500 to $2000. I shipped my Mustang from Hawaii to Manasas for $2200. With the cost of gas going up, I'd look into this.

Sell you furniture and use the money to get some cheap stuff in Califonia.

If you don't want to sell your stuff, Uhaul and a trailer is the way to go. It'll take 6-7 days in a Uhaul

Don't know your budget, but shipping a car from East to West coast costs about $1500 to $2000. I shipped my Mustang from Hawaii to Manasas for $2200. With the cost of gas going up, I'd look into this.

Sell you furniture and use the money to get some cheap stuff in Califonia.

If you don't want to sell your stuff, Uhaul and a trailer is the way to go. It'll take 6-7 days in a Uhaul

Doesn't UHaul charge by the mile? I'm kinda afraid of that, that'll get really expensive. I wouldn't mind doing uhaul if it were unlimited mileage for a set price, but I don't think that's gonna happen.

I probably won't get much money from the furniture, it's not like great furniture or anything. And when I do buy furniture out there, I don't really want to buy cheap stuff. Cheap furniture isn't a good investment.

I expect to pay at least $1000 for all of this, and I know that's on the low end.

Try these guys if you want to ship your vehicle. I paid extra to hav my baby shipped in a crate to Manasas. They would have delivered it the door if I had paid a few hundred more. Got it without a scratch

http://www.dasautoshippers.com/

That's awesome, thanks...it's only $660 if I get it picked up at my home... but 18 days to wait for it? I don't think I could wait that long

Doesn't UHaul charge by the mile? I'm kinda afraid of that, that'll get really expensive. I wouldn't mind doing uhaul if it were unlimited mileage for a set price, but I don't think that's gonna happen.

I probably won't get much money from the furniture, it's not like great furniture or anything. And when I do buy furniture out there, I don't really want to buy cheap stuff. Cheap furniture isn't a good investment.

I expect to pay at least $1000 for all of this, and I know that's on the low end.

u-haul doesn't necessarily charge by the mile. they have set prices, and give you a mileage limit for your trip. they rape you if you go over, unless you tell them there were "detours" on the route ;).

pods is great, but it's not cheap. my cousin just moved from here to omaha using pods, and it cost him 2300.00

i think u-haul is your best bet.

fyi, my father in law just bought a 1970 opal off ebay from a guy in florida, it's costing him 800.00 to have it shipped to wv. so it seems that the cost of that has gone up.

u-haul doesn't necessarily charge by the mile. they have set prices, and give you a mileage limit for your trip. they rape you if you go over, unless you tell them there were "detours" on the route ;).

pods is great, but it's not cheap. my cousin just moved from here to omaha using pods, and it cost him 2300.00

i think u-haul is your best bet.

fyi, my father in law just bought a 1970 opal off ebay from a guy in florida, it's costing him 800.00 to have it shipped to wv. so it seems that the cost of that has gone up.

yeah, the estimated pods price they gave me was over $5000...don't think i could swing that :(

I moved from Va Beach to NorCal in 99. I packed my car as full as I could...and then rented some space on a big moving truck and filled it with whatever I could (I beat the furniture out to California by a few weeks).

I would recommend the central route if its late summer. Many older cars die in Texas/New Mexico/Arizona in late July/August.

:)

Have fun...its a hell of a drive.

I moved from Va Beach to NorCal in 99. I packed my car as full as I could...and then rented some space on a big moving truck and filled it with whatever I could (I beat the furniture out to California by a few weeks).

I would recommend the central route if its late summer. Many older cars die in Texas/New Mexico/Arizona in late July/August.

:)

Have fun...its a hell of a drive.

i'm moving early summer...late june. And my car's an '03, so I'm not worrying about it dying, but I guess the Uhaul could be old.

Thanks for the route tip, I'm going to need advice on that, too. My brother lives in San Diego and he's driven to Cali a couple times from here, so I'll see what route he took

If all you have is Bed, Dresser, Computer, and Clothes - It will cost more to move your bed and dresser then it would to be to buy once your out here.

If your clothes, computer, and TV can't fit in your car, you have too many clothes. I'm 33 and have a family of 4 with a small car and get fit all my clothes, PLUS my kids in my car. (Wife's on her own).

BTW - Your going to LOVE Southern CA!

Pack up the car, drive, spend the $1000 you would have spent to move you crap and get some new stuff.

I used DAS to ship my car from Springfield to Los Angeles. It wasn't that expensive, although I shipped it early since I didn't need it.

My company paid for me to move out... so I can't really comment on that. I'd look at movingscam.com for some good information.

i'm moving early summer...late june. And my car's an '03, so I'm not worrying about it dying, but I guess the Uhaul could be old.

Thanks for the route tip, I'm going to need advice on that, too. My brother lives in San Diego and he's driven to Cali a couple times from here, so I'll see what route he took

Personally, I'd leave the furniture. It'll cost you more to move than to buy new stuff in CA

I'm going to tell you right now it's a looooooong assed drive to CA in a UHaul. It's a long assed drive period. There literally is nothing in TX, NM or AZ to look at along the way, and that's the way you'll end up going to San Diego.

Pack as much stuff as you can. Call the airlines to see how much excess baggage will cost you. Leave everything else and fly out. You won't regret it.

If you do have extra clothes, mail them

There literally is nothing in TX, NM or AZ to look at along the way, and that's the way you'll end up going to San Diego.

Depending on which way she goes.

If you take the middle route, you'll hit the land of nothing well before Texas...

have you considered a u-haul trailer? those are a by the day type rate, and you can get some pretty big ones. I also dont think it would take so long- I drove solo with my dog from el paso to VA in 2 nights, 3 days, San Diego is only ~700 miles more from el paso. I'd say four days if you do about 600 miles a day. I did el paso to dallas, to just east of little rock, and then the rest of the way to lovely woodbridge. good luck!

I would have to agree, leave the heavy stuff there. You can probably at least get a decent bed and mattress with the money that you save by doing so. There are tons of yard sales where you can get a fair dresser, nightstands and such for almost nothing (at least in my area).

I also agree driving across country is a biatch, especially if you are driving by yourself. Even more so driving a big truck with a trailer. If you have never pulled a trailer before, beleive me, it's no fun.

If you don't mind driving your car, that would probably be the cheapest option. That's what I did 22 years ago.

And you will love it out here, especially San Diego. At least until you get to be an old fogie like me, and get sick of the constant crowds and traffic, and start to miss being close to the Redskins and it's fans.

If you do, for some weird reason, decide to UHaul it, the Rocky Mountains start as soon as you cross the Mississippi River. Not geologically, but it is an uphill grade all the way from there until you get to the mountains. You won't notice in a car. You'll notice in a UHaul.

Trust me

Voice of experience

If I had to do it again...and had the time... I would do the historic Route 66 route from St Louis to LA...

Which is I40/44 now right?

Traveled it. Though I guess we traveled it a decade or two too late....

Once you hit NM though, amazing scenery!

If you are considering a uhaul make sure you find out how much it cost to drop it off out there. Sometimes they charge a heck of a lot more to drop one off out West, because most people are moving out that way oppose to moving back East. I rented a uhaul truck and pulled my vehicle back on a trailer which saves the wear on your car. Just make sure you rent a big enough uhaul from the start, because they aren't fun to repack. Also, consider gas prices, because they use diesel.

Archived