Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why so much hope in Prioleau at SS?

skinsngibbs4life

Is anyone else concerned like me that his knee might not hold up and he will never be the same player?? I mean he knows the system and all but he is not getting any younger and just came off of major knee surgery. I am not convinced as of yet he is the answer for this season. I am just glad we have a few good back ups like fox and stoutmire.

This is my concern. We are basically banking on a guy coming off a major injury. Now, I know that we still have Fox, doughty and stoutmire, but honestly, I just don't see a starter out of any of those guys.

We don't need a ridiculous playmaker at SS. Sean Taylor excelled from the FS position when he had Ryan Clark next to him to tell him where to be and get things settled. PP could have been that guy (we all know that Archuleta couldn't get it done) last year but he got hurt. If he's back to just solidify the mental aspects of the safeties we'll be better from the get go. How many times did we see Taylor bite on play-action or flea-flickers or just get to caught up trying to figure out coverage last season? Get PP in there this season, Give Fox time here and there to relieve some possible injury concerns, and train Doughty for the future (he was a rocket on special teams) and I think we'll be pretty solid.

Yep, nothing against Prieleuo (Spelling) but Clark started in front of him remember. The thing that really helped Clark out in coverage was that he could flat run. What got Clark in trouble in Seattle, divisional play off game was that he was biting on play action and they knew it. The first TD that Taylor broke up was really Clark's man. Taylor just got back to bat that one away...remember that. But they waited and came right back in the 2d QTR with the same play action, but from a little further out so Taylor couldn't support and bam TD! Go back and look at the film.

That was a coaches game. Not head coaches it was booth to booth on that one and Seattle just found the crease. Oh I'm a big time Clark fan, but the truth is the truth or rather that's my analyses. Why am I still a Clark fan? Well, first off I was from 04 when no one knew he would even make it, yep he came down from the Giants via F/A. But anyway we haven't been any better since he left. Bottom line up front (BLUFF) is that Ryan earned a pay day and they just didn't give it to him.

Would I bring him back yes and with all caps. Remember at the SS position it requires coaching and calling the right adjustments and know how to coach against the play action. If used right play action can kill your safeties. Play action can especially affect the SS because he's more or less a transparent nickel back or that extra LB-- more so than FS. But you must be watching from up in the booth on what there trying to do to the SS. When you have a FS like Sean who doesn't require a lot of coaching, you can focus a little more on the SS.

To some, Ryan may not have been great but he was good and good enough to play. Hopefully Fletch can help with the play action, but this is also why we must have a big body on the DL, someone who can keep Fletch free to go side line -to- side line. We can't afford to allow Fletch to get caught in the wash and loss in the spin cycle. If our run defense requires a lot of SS support then we will be suspect to play action. Don't get me wrong we all know that the run support is always good for all DBs to be on the ball but not the first or solo tackler. Also, must look at what and how we're using the Cover 2, some refer to as the Tampa 2, and what role will Fletch will play.

Will he have deep middle. We know Coach Williams likes to run it but can Fletch cover those speedsters down the deep middle? What might help is if you go 3 deep where as the MLB has deep middle and the FS has the back side of the MLB or rather the FS rolls behind the MLB depending on the play on the ball. I think Indy likes to run it and had 1 of there INTs in the Super Bowl when they were in the deep 3. Their FS picked it. I think the pass was intended for number 80...Berrian (Chicago) I think that's his name. But its just an observation if you can use it then its for the Skins, if not don't worry about it. But Prioleau is probably better used as a nickel.

Oh I like Prioleau, got his jersey and yes I do wear it. Clark started in front of Prioleau. Doesn't mean he's not good. He was used more as a knickel in 05. Nothings wrong with that. Right now I would go with Stoutmire I think both of them can tackle but I think Stoutmire covers better. To be honest and out of respect to Prileau , I haven't really seen him cover much. But yeah I have his jersey!

I keep hearing everybody taking about the guys who played in GW's SYSTEM in Buffalo.Did'nt he get Fired in Buffalo with those guys and that great system and packages that has never won a superbowl? I think we need some changes on defense players and coaches.

His defense went to the SB against the Rams when he was with the Titans. The Buffalo defense was top 10 all the time, but their offense was terrible and they had no QB when he was there. Other than last year's injury riddled debacle, our defenses have been very good here.

I like Stoutmire, PP and Fox and see no reason to give them the message that the job isn't theirs to compete for by drafting a rookie safety. Draft a DE/DT to give ourselves options in the future for the aging Daniels, Salave'a & Griffin. ST is the only superstar safety we need. I like Landry, and would take him if we traded down to #9 or something like that and picked up another draft pick, but this would not make sense given our offseason moves.

The injury is my only concern, but we're talking about SS. It was a huge mistake to spend money on talent at the cheapest position in the NFL to fill when less talented guys like Clark or Prioleau work out fine.

Pierson, though, is a good tackler, decent in coverage and rarely is out of position when he's on the field. Has a good relationship with Gregg and is a veteran + he's a special teams ace.

I have no problem going into the season with Peirson and Omar back there. Will Reed make the roster this season?

hey folks........reality check :)

the Redskins are not going to draft Landry at #6 and pair him with overall #5 pick Sean Taylor from 2005.................

so, this is the group of safeties we are going into 2007 with, unless a veteran is released over the summer that can come in on a one year deal.

as a fan I am a LOT more concerned about what we are doing on the DL and how things are going to shake out on the OL in re depth.........than about who is going to start at strong safety, perhaps one of the EASIEST positions to fill the gaps with :)

Ok if you watch the 05 games you would always see prioleau controling the back, pointing telling people where should be or should of been. I know clark did it too but prileau was are pass coverage guy that went down on the first play. Then pass coverage sucked and we couldn't blitz like we do.

Ade Jimoh, Renaldo Wynn, Phillip Daniels, Warrick Holdman all knew the system. Knowing the system can only get you so far

I dont see your point , Ade Jimoh is pritty good i dont mind him as a nickle CB, Daniels had a great year in 05 , Highway 57 and Wynn are the only two that make sence.

He knows the system and andre lott didnt seem to do much last season. Also Shawn Springs would have to learn a different position and that takes time. CB is a lot different than SS. More involved in the run stop and more of a zone coverage opposed from the CB position being primarly Man

If Springs sticks around and not delt, I wouldn't be surprise to see him as a Safety in some of Williams' packages if (and thats a big if) Rogers steps up as the #1 CB.

PP showed ability and talent in 05 and he is familiar with the defense. Having one less player that needs to learn the system is a step ahead of where our D has been in the past. He will be just fine. We don't need superstar names ay EVERY position, We need to count on some players performing solid, smart football who might not be known as the "best" and I believe he is one of those players.

You can't (and shouldn't) have superstars everywhere. Role-players should comprise the majority of a team. The man hasn't crossed into "liability" territory yet, so replacing him isn't top-priority.

Sorry for using your sig, but right and very good post! I don't know any team that has super stars at both FS and Strong. This is where coaching and understanding different sets and making the right adjustment comes in. You still have to coach! This is why Ryan was okay. Hell Mike Sellers ran over Doss too and so what?

Our SS position has been turbulent since Clark left. Clark could play so there was no need for a change. I'm a big time PP fan, and I have the jersey and all, but I think he's better served as a nickel, just an opinion I would go with Stoutmire and Taylor with PP and Doughtery rotating the nickel.

I really don't know alot about Daughtery either. Rotate PP in the nickel. But depending on the package an how you game plan for PP can still start. Also, it depends on what team is coming up and how you want to game plan. The only person that has a permanet home at Redskin Park/ Washington Redskins secondary is Sean Taylor.

Archived